By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Just how good a fan are you?

morty

morty

Staff member
It is, of course, an entirely rhetorical question, everybody is entitled to support in their own way, and should be free to do so, without judgement or criticism.

I have watched the aftermath of Stuart Webber's interview with wry amusement, firstly I agree with pretty much everything he said, but he appears to be the one that people want to throw rotten fruit at right now, so his interview was met with some real hostility from a few folk. But onto the point of the thread, Webber said he felt that the fans gave up, which has really got some backs up, but the fact is, it is absolutely true, but people only seem to like his honesty when it tells them something they want to hear. I think most fans, if they were entirely honest, would admit there was a point in the season when they gave up. We all started the season with cautious optimism, which was quite quickly tested after a very difficult start, and I think the home loss against Watford really knocked the stuffing out of a few folk, I remember being really very disappointed at that one.

People seem to be falling over themselves not to admit when they gave up, as it would somehow make them a lesser fan perhaps? I guess I gave up when it was mathematically done, but I still went to games, as it is only a thinly veiled excuse for drinking to excess and being a bit of a lad. When did you give up?

For me, also, if you're not enjoying it, don't go! Its your money, don't hide behind some shite about feeling "disconnected" from your club, stop paying for something you don't enjoy, do something else with your day!

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Yeah, as someone said on Twitter, when fans are chanting “ we’re f*cking shit” “ let’s pretend we’ve scored a goal” etc halfway through the season then that’s not great support is it. I’m obviously the best fan the club have ever had anyway ;)

G

gerryinromania

Morty. I've been living out here 24 years, and every winter, fly back to UK to see my daughter, and to watch Norwich City play 4 games in that 5 week period. I have watched some real crap and some really good stuff, but have enjoyed both sides of the coin. For two years due to the china plague, and illness, I have not been able to do that, I have watched nearly all the games on tv, I have criticised like mad, but believe me, if I could have got to see only one game in the flesh,no matter how bad, I would have been so happy. I think watching tv is deadening, compared to live, no matter how bad the play is. I've missed it, but next January at the age of 78, will be there again, taking it all in, even though I just cannot take to mr smith and what his football appears to be

N

Number 9

I believe it's a "bigger picture " situation.
The fans weren't in to witness the last relegation and this season was opportunity to vent for that too.

Gunvald Larsson

Gunvald Larsson

I have been watching NCFC since 1970 and I too have seen some real crap and also some great football. I only 'gave up' when relegation was a certainty. But what I gave up was not being a fan and supporting the team. I gave up worrying about results and stressing myself out on match days. To be honest that feeling of 'letting go' was really good. When things go well for the team match days are fun and, for me, that was what was missing this season. There was no fun. In the past when things were bad there was still a time during games when a really good pass, or save, or shot at goal livened us all up. But this season those incidents were so few and far between that when they did occur the feeling was relief, not fun. Next season I want some fun. I want to see Pukki scoring more goals. I want to see Rashica skin defenders and put in a dangerous cross, I want to see Lees-Melou play some of those great passes he is capable of, I want to see Idah bullying defenders, I want to see Sargent running his socks off and getting stuck in .... I want to see some wins. None of my wants may come to pass, but whatever happens I will still be a fan.

Last edited:
G

gerryinromania

Well said Mr Cars. A well balanced view, not over the top, just sensible words from a football fan

D

DaveJ

To be fair to you guys - I think you are no different to pretty much most football fans, if truth be told, we’re a fickle bunch and this goes in cycles. At the end of the day, the players have a responsibility to help set the tone of games, it’s not all on the fans and it clearly doesn’t help at all when you are getting gubbed each week.
Norwich are viewed as a provincial club, but with a very loyal fan base, your gates hold up regardless - if I recall correctly I think you were matching Leeds in the championship.
Don’t be so hard on yourselves guys - nobody wants to watch their team yo - yoing between divisions and i take no pleasure in saying this, but we all saw the writing on the wall for you - as a villan I can assure you, we would have reacted the the same way.

OTBC