By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Madeleine McCann

OldRobert

OldRobert

'Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have requested more money from the Home Office, Sky News has learned.'

FFS at the last count we were up to £11 million plus. What about all the other missing kids.:mad:

morty

morty

Staff member
Yeah, its a similar debate I have seen with Corrie McKeague too, and its is certainly an emotive one, regarding how resources are best used.

I don't like the McCanns, most people don't, and while I wouldn't wish what happened to them on any parent, its in the back of everyone's heads "Why didn't you just pay a tenner for a babysitter?". Also with them being a bit posh, and professional people who are supposed to be better than us commoners, they really did something pretty stupid, that most of us, as parents, just wouldn't do.

All that coupled with the fact that deep down, we all suspect they aren't telling the entire truth.

OldRobert

OldRobert

'All that coupled with the fact that deep down, we all suspect they aren't telling the entire truth.'

This, I think, is the key.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Pretty much agree with Morty.

Her parents are refusing to believe that she's most likely dead, because they can't face up to their own role / guilt, should have been charged with child neglect / negligence.

Best thing to do is to whittle the case to one copper on desk duties for a dodgy back, to just write down leads and bang them in a file for ten years.

If she ever shows up it will be as an adult.... walking into a police station saying "I think I'm madeleine mccann".

At which point they can say "Oh yeah, another one, well lets take a swab then... we'll write to you if you are Madeleine McCann".

OldRobert

OldRobert

Quote: Police have been granted further funds to continue their search for Madeleine McCann, almost 11 years after she went missing.

The Home Office has confirmed the Metropolitan Police will receive more cash to look for the girl, who was aged three when she disappeared from her family's rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz on Portugal's Algarve coast in May 2007.
A spokesman told Sky News: "The Government remains committed to the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann (known as Operation Grange).
"We have briefed the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service) that its application for Special Grant funding for Operation Grange will be granted." End Quote

FFS how much longer do we have to pay for the Met to swan backwards and forwards to Portugal, wasting to date, £11m, while many other children are missing in this country and nobody gives a damn except their families. DISGRACEFUL.:mad:

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I wonder how the met would explain the difference between this case being kept open and the Corrie McCeag (sp) one being closed

N

Number 9

It's not fair to compare the two.

The little girl probably hadn't spent the night drinking heavily and probably didn't habitually climb into waste bins in the early hours to sleep it off.

Before you jump on my head - I make no judgement on the rights or wrongs of cases being open or closed.

morty

morty

Staff member
It's not fair to compare the two.

The little girl probably hadn't spent the night drinking heavily and probably didn't habitually climb into waste bins in the early hours to sleep it off.

Before you jump on my head - I make no judgement on the rights or wrongs of cases being open or closed.
I think it is very fair to compare the two, it is a basic comparison of the value of human life.

morty

morty

Staff member
I see that, Morty
And I think theres a fair section of society who see Kate and Gerry as somewhere between entirely culpable and completely guilty.

If the police have done all they can for Corrie, then fair enough, but the timing kinda stinks.

N

Number 9

A child has decisions made for it and the 'grown up helpers' are responsible in the eyes of the law. The laws are different relating to children or adults.

Maybe the police feel that they're almost at the point where there is enough evidence to charge someone, whether that's the parents or not.

morty

morty

Staff member
A child has decisions made for it and the 'grown up helpers' are responsible in the eyes of the law. The laws are different relating to children or adults.

Maybe the police feel that they're almost at the point where there is enough evidence to charge someone, whether that's the parents or not.
I guess time will tell.

I identify a bit with both these cases, as an ex RAF man who isn't shy of a drink, and also a parent, who incidentally always made sure I had adequate childcare arrangements....

OldRobert

OldRobert

I would ask any parent on here, how many times when on holiday or when at home, do you leave your children alone in your house/flat, while you go to the pub/restaurant with friends for a few drinks and a meal. No thought not. Yet they are free, and taxpayers money to the tune of, to date, £11m, is spent trying to find the poor little mite due to their criminality is God alone knows where.

N

Number 9

I would ask any parent on here, how many times when on holiday or when at home, do you leave your children alone in your house/flat, while you go to the pub/restaurant with friends for a few drinks and a meal. No thought not. Yet they are free, and taxpayers money to the tune of, to date, £11m, is spent trying to find the poor little mite due to their criminality is God alone knows where.

BUT what the Police have to establish is whether they committed a crime or not. Are they just guilty of bad parenting or have they broken laws? Have to remember that proof and evidence of criminal activity has to stand up to scrutiny in court, my opinion on their parenting skills, however strongly I feel about it, doesn't provide enough evidence to convict them of murder.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

BUT what the Police have to establish is whether they committed a crime or not. Are they just guilty of bad parenting or have they broken laws? Have to remember that proof and evidence of criminal activity has to stand up to scrutiny in court, my opinion on their parenting skills, however strongly I feel about it, doesn't provide enough evidence to convict them of murder.
Fair point No 9, the police can’t charge people for stupidity

OldRobert

OldRobert

The law doesn’t say an age when you can leave a child on their own, but it’s an offence to leave a child alone if it places them at risk.
Use your judgement on how mature your child is before you decide to leave them alone, eg at home or in a car.
The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) says:
  • children under 12 are rarely mature enough to be left alone for a long period of time
  • children under 16 shouldn’t be left alone overnight
  • babies, toddlers and very young children should never be left alone
Parents can be prosecuted if they leave a child unsupervised ‘in a manner likely to cause unnecessary suffering or injury to health’.

What the law is in Portugal I have no idea, but I'm sure if I did what the McCann's did here in the UK, I would have been prosecuted for child neglect at the very least..

N

Number 9

I shudder when I see a person smoking whilst looking after kids or pushing a pram! But it's not illegal.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

FFS how much longer do we have to pay for the Met to swan backwards and forwards to Portugal, wasting to date,

We seem to waste quite a lot of money on our justice system, but cut frontline services.

How much did the 2 year Nazi pug case cost because that was a ridiculous waste of money, the bloke clearly just had a bit of a dark sense of humour.

Its almost as if these things happen sometimes just to justify the existence of 'x' job or 'y' job.

I know somebody who called the police about a burglary and they didn't turn up for 10 days because they didn't have enough officers (not a burglary in progress, as they'd presumably treat that as urgent). But by the time 10 days has finished any forensic evidence is of course gone (like footprints in carpets).

So it is frustrating when we can find big money for frivolous things or complete lost causes, when we can feel our streets becoming less safe by the year.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I shudder when I see a person smoking whilst looking after kids or pushing a pram! But it's not illegal.

I've just moved from Barnsley.... where I'd occasionally see people smoking whilst pregnant. Actually saw that in Norwich once too :eek: