By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Manager of the month

morty

morty

Staff member
Absolute joke that Farke hasn't even been nominated! Just be done with it and give it to Frank Lampard.

Untitled.jpg

morty

morty

Staff member
I get it, Norwich aren't media darlings or fashionable, but to deny the achievement is nonsense. Top of the league, the 5th most in form team in Europe, we are on a fabulous run, we had 4 players in this week's Championship team of the week.

Taking my obvious bias out of it, it really makes no sense!

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

It's really weird and seems to be geared toward a Frankie Lampard media moment for his amazing efforts at "Frank Lampard's Derby County"

hogesar

hogesar

I look at that Derby squad and with the benefit of decent Chelsea loanees i reckon my nan could have them in the mix.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Manager of the month is a curse we don't need.

Farke's aiming for manager of the season anyway, society can't deny his brilliance forever..... but lets give him a new contract before they wake up.

morty

morty

Staff member
Manager of the month is a curse we don't need.

Farke's aiming for manager of the season anyway, society can't deny his brilliance forever..... but lets give him a new contract before they wake up.
Whilst I agree with that, it would be nice to get a bit of recognition for him and his coaching staff, nothing motivates like telling someone they are doing a good job, even if they already know it.

And it remains indicative of the "small club" status given to us by the media in general. It seems that you can be "plucky" if you are Bournemouth or Brighton, but we will always be that club that plays in funny colours who has that old cook in charge.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We've done pretty well out of other teams underestimating us, the longer they think we've been lucky or are massively punching above our weight the better.

Derby fans were all saying "we should be beating teams like Norwich" etc after we outplayed them and were unlucky not to win at their place.... hilarious that other fans would consider us better if we still had players like Naismith and Martin in the starting lineup, just because they've never heard of Buendia or Zimmermann....

Second half of our season going to be much more difficult when all 23 sides in this league have seen what we're really about and realise that we've got some serious talent in this squad, apart from Leeds who are the one team to completely outplay us (and they'll be in for a shock).

Lets face it.... Norwich have always been unfashionable. Finishing 12th and 11th in the Premier League still wasn't enough to get a Norwich player an England call up, whether its Holt or Redmond (who got one instantly after going to Southampton, despite it being after the point at which they were actually a good side).

We lived in the shadow of Swansea and Brendan Rodgers for a bit.... funny because they bored the pants off of me, and it was obvious that Danny Graham was a shit Grant Holt.

We're so unfashionable that Southgate can't bring himself to give a cap to James Maddison until enough of the country have forgotten that he played for us, despite everybody knowing he's one of the probably top 3 young talents this country currently has....

Its not just us though is it.... congratulations to Callum Wilson for finally getting an England call up despite playing for little old Bournemouth.... if he was prepared for a career as a bit part / backup player for big 5/6 clubs he'd have 20 by now, a la Danny Welbeck.

morty

morty

Staff member
Totally agree with all that. But there are genuine ramifications that stem from our status. When we were in the Prem it was a case of "when" we go down, not "If". And I think that probably gave us big issues with recruitment, ones that are already hard enough due to our geographical location. We probably paid over the odds for players, or gave them better deals, due to our perceived status.

And yes, the Swansea thing annoyed me, because I definitely see us as having more pedigree than they have. Shouldn't even be in our league...

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

It was just the whole "League Two to Premier League" story wasn't it, only it was a bit annoying as that wasn't exactly a four straight promotion thing and it overshadowed our double promotion.

Plus Bournemouth should probably feel a bit aggrieved about that as they don't get the same level of plaudits as Swansea despite a similar rise and some very good football.

Eddie Howe does seem to get a decent amount of deserved respect though. I wonder whether Lambert looks at Eddie Howe in his 6th year as Bournemouth manager (and 3 years before that) and wonders whether he jumped too quickly.

Interestingly Howe actually left Bournemouth for Burnley after 3 years, returning a year later in 2012.... another lesson for Lambert, don't burn your bridges :D

Agreed though, it does affect recruitment. Hopefully we've got Bundesliga players on a tap now if we go up? I suspect many in Germany will notice the rejuvenation of Moritz Leitner!

Then again, do we want to attract big money high profile players? Seems to be when it all went wrong, and perhaps we need to keep up the strategy of singing players with a point to prove, like Krul and Leitner.

Bournemouth broke their mould to sign Defoe on a six figure salary and he's not getting in the team.

Hopefully younger players have noticed the likes of Maddison and the Murphy's developing here, and the likes of Aarons and Lewis getting football.

morty

morty

Staff member
Not necessarily big money or high profile players, but any player really. Like you say, our perceived status makes a difference in players wanting to sign for us. And the annoying thing is that this status really isn't even based on logic, or previous success!