By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Michael McGovern signed until 2021

David Evans

David Evans

34 years old, over the hill, average keeper that can't play to our system...

Let's give him a new two year contract... o_O

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

David, have you read Michael Baileys report ?

David Evans

David Evans

If it's true that he is just dressing room support then that's fine and if he wants to stick around on such terms then that's fine by me.

But it terms of who is playing I'm not sure he should even be 3rd choice, just doesn't fit our system.

N

Number 9

Strange in my opinion, he must have had a pay cut, maybe he's going into coaching or something because he's not going to get a game.
Can't see Krul getting a game in the Prem, surely he will be 2nd choice at best, McGovern best chance is to practice carrying water bottles.

N

Number 9

I did find it unpalatable that Russ Martin had to stick his nose in to 'correct' Bailey's comments about McGovern.
'Excellent keeper' who cant seem to get a game even though the number 1 keeper is a little bit flaky.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I was initially shocked by this, but prem teams seem to have 3 keepers in their 25 as standard. Didn't we sign Lee Camp last time?

It's because in the EFL you are allowed to sign a goalkeeper on emergency loan as standard. In the Premier league some FA panel looks at what professional keepers you've got on your books before deciding whether to grant you one.

You also need to register a squad of 25 in the prem which rules out a free agent unless you only register 24 players.

Didn't our third keeper get games last time we were in the league? Lee Camp?

At the time it was also explained by somebody at the club at the time that the third keeper would get battered in training doing a lot of the set piece drills when you want to protect your main man.

So if McGovern is signing up to get clattered by Zimbo in training for two years trying to catch crosses then fair enough.

Oxenborough needs to go out on loan.

One year would have made more sense I guess, but may not have helped McGovern with paying off his mortgage before retirement or whatever...

I actually take this as a sign that we ARE signing another keeper to challenge Krul.

Fucking hope so anyway because I can think of a lot of probably cheap keepers i'd rather have as a number 2... Jed Steer for a start.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I did find it unpalatable that Russ Martin had to stick his nose in to 'correct' Bailey's comments about McGovern.
'Excellent keeper' who cant seem to get a game even though the number 1 keeper is a little bit flaky.

Russell Martin's idea of a good player is anybody who is prepared to kiss Russell Martin's arse... Getting shot of Martin was essential to fostering the team spirit that we currently have, because he was becoming quite keen to talk about himself all the time and not about the team. His pre-season interview with Talk Norwich put me off him big time.

David Evans

David Evans

I must have missed that, do you have a link to what was said?

OldRobert

OldRobert

Russell Martin's idea of a good player is anybody who is prepared to kiss Russell Martin's arse... Getting shot of Martin was essential to fostering the team spirit that we currently have, because he was becoming quite keen to talk about himself all the time and not about the team. His pre-season interview with Talk Norwich put me off him big time.
Your post Canaryboy is the truest regarding Martin I've seen, from someone I assume isn't from inside the dressing room. Someone who spent a great deal of time running to the major shareholders telling tales, and yes my source is impeccable, the man is poison. How else do you think he got his final lengthy contract when he couldn't get a game. Don't say he was a shyster to all, especially the impressionable youngsters, but when the new regime moved in he was lost, influence was gone, his relationship with the Smiths meant nothing, the new players took no notice of him, he was gone.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Didn't take long for Farke to bomb it out did it... That contract one of the few black marks in this Webber regime.

Although the Hanley contract extension was a bit bizarre too... Has he actually started a game since? Still, pretty sure we'd pretty much get our money back on Hanley.

morty

morty

Staff member
Well. I have to admit, I did not see that coming...