Neil Adams Returns

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
As "Loan manager".

Not a great job title, isn't that David Mitchell's job in Peep Show?

Good to see him return to the club though, perhaps that's his job until another vacancy arises. 
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Seriously though, weird role. 

Neil has always been a fantastic servant to this Football Club and his knowledge of players, his coaching experience and his understanding of the modern loan market will all be a huge asset in this newly-created role. 

I think they just made it up on the spot.
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
This is going to sound really cynical, but I think this says an awful lot about our decision to make him manager when he's accepted this awful role and clearly has no interest in managing elsewhere.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Agreed. I'm actually surprised that he's accepted this. Feels like the kind of role he should have accepted if he were to fail coaching/management somewhere else.

Guess he's just happy to be here. Can't do any harm anyway.
 
Boyerboy

Boyerboy

New Member
Having said all that and I agree it sounds like a manufactured role, I am very proud that my Club kept its word and looked after one of our own. Football can be a shabby business with people often treated as disposables   So it is good that the Club took Adams on and found a place for him.

Also, there are a thousand reasons why someone might take a job such as family or social issues and judging the man by this decision is speculative at best. 
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
It must've been the excellent business of getting Hooiveld on loan that secured him the job... :D

Shows the difference between Championship and Premiership when we can employ someone in a made-up job for the sake of it. Would've liked to have seen him managing the U21s, but at least we've got Neyul back 
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
Of course it really is impossible to know whether this is a "made up role" or one that is required, but I am sure, like me, most on here smiled a bit when you read the announcement.  Of course, it is great that the club did what they said and gave him a position, and of course for NA its a salary coming in whilst also working at his favourite club, so now he can take his time looking elsewhere if he so desires, he is undoubtedly a good man. 

I was just trying to think of a few other roles he could have been given.....of course, very important roles......I came up with two he may have found of interest...

Coach Inspection Manager: "with the players travelling so many miles to away games, it is crucial that the coach they travel in meets all of the requirements in terms of comfort, temperature and other key areas. We have been searching Europe to find the quality of person required with the right experience who can check the coach market to ensure that the Norwich City footballers transport to away games meets our very high premier league standards. Neil meets all the criteria, particularly as since his departure he has been touring the Norfolk Broads in a 54 seater Easton's Volvo coach, in which incidentally he was particularly impressed with the leg room, and this training has enabled him to be awarded the Level 1 coach-ing badge. 

Footwear Analyst Manager: "with the choice of football boots being so key to optimum performance in the modern game, it is crucial that every player wears the correct footwear, not only in terms of whether its a moulded sole or not, but also in terms of comfort, brand, standard or ankle boot and most import the colour. Now we have three amazing new kit designs, it is of great importance that the colours of our players boots do not colour clash with our new kit, and in particular with the Aviva logo. We scoured Europe to find the person with the right level of experience for this key role, and Neil met all of the requirements. During his career Neil has worn a multitude of different kits and boots,and whilst having a penchant for a black Puma boot himself, Neil has also seen almost every colour boot in action since he took a break from the club and is now very keen to start work again with us, so that the team are fully colour coodinated for the first match against Crystal Palace, he has a lot of work to do and we wish him well"      
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Couldnt we have just given him Gary Karsa's old job? Noone knew what the hell he did, so noone would have asked any questions.

Im trying to think what this reminds me of. Maybe its School of Rock when he fills all the important roles in the band but still needs to get the other kids involved.

Im glad they've tried to look ater him, but isnt this a bit humiliating for him?

If anyone has seen the first series of 'Strike Back' (well worth watching before an American company took over for series two and Americanised it) John Porter was top SAS man, then he was fingered for a *bleep*-up that wasnt his fault - and ended up having to be the security guard at MI5, looking through the window whilst the important people did his old job.

I wonder if he'll office share with the other Neil like I always imagined David Moyes and SAF did when he took the job, with SAF just staring at him all day...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer

New Member
I think people are being too cynical about this job. It is obvious that the majority of Academy players who make the grade are going to go out on loan. As we saw, for example, from Jacob Murphy's experience at Blackpool, some do not cope overly well and probably feel remote from their parent Club. It may well be that the Club is not willing to continue with an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to young players they have invested in heavily and this "post" will allow their loan-period to be monitored closely.

I suspect it also provides an opportunity for "talent-spotting".
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Couldnt we have just given him Gary Karsa's old job? Noone knew what the hell he did, so noone would have asked any questions.

Im trying to think what this reminds me of. Maybe its School of Rock when he fills all the important roles in the band but still needs to get the other kids involved.

Im glad they've tried to look ater him, but isnt this a bit humiliating for him?

If anyone has seen the first series of 'Strike Back' (well worth watching before an American company took over for series two and Americanised it) John Porter was top SAS man, then he was fingered for a *bleep*-up that wasnt his fault - and ended up having to be the security guard at MI5, looking through the window whilst the important people did his old job.

I wonder if he'll office share with the other Neil like I always imagined David Moyes and SAF did when he took the job, with SAF just staring at him all day...
Whilst nobody understood what Gary Karsa did he was part of Lambert's management team.

AN has his own team and would be unlikely to be keen on the idea of having someone imposed on him. Particularly his predecessor.

As Boyerboy has said at least the club has stuck to their word and looked after one of their own. Probably not an easy task finding a footballing role that is at the same time distanced from AN's team. And maybe there was a gap to have an experienced eye to look over how our young players were developing on loan.
 
Gaffer

Gaffer

Active Member
I think people are being too cynical about this job. It is obvious that the majority of Academy players who make the grade are going to go out on loan. As we saw, for example, from Jacob Murphy's experience at Blackpool, some do not cope overly well and probably feel remote from their parent Club. It may well be that the Club is not willing to continue with an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to young players they have invested in heavily and this "post" will allow their loan-period to be monitored closely.

I suspect it also provides an opportunity for "talent-spotting".
This could prove to be an important role in terms helping the young players (many of whom Neil knows very well) develop so that they're ready to be sold or considered for the first team. Look at the Rudd/Steer situation we had a while back. If that had been better managed we could have made a lot more money from Steer. I agree, no need for the cynicism. 
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
Oddjob Mk II

This appointment has Delia's hands all over it!
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
I think people are being too cynical about this job. It is obvious that the majority of Academy players who make the grade are going to go out on loan. As we saw, for example, from Jacob Murphy's experience at Blackpool, some do not cope overly well and probably feel remote from their parent Club. It may well be that the Club is not willing to continue with an "out of sight, out of mind" approach to young players they have invested in heavily and this "post" will allow their loan-period to be monitored closely.

I suspect it also provides an opportunity for "talent-spotting".
Good point actually. I didn't think about it the other way.  I suppose he could go round watching all our youngsters who are out on loan. Makes a bit more sense now 
 
derehamyella

derehamyella

New Member
I would have lad money on him getting the u21 role ... he did some coaching with england  think it was the U16
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
I am uneasy about this appointment I wonder if AN and Bassong are too, I can see problems arising at Colney.
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
Gary Karsa was Director of Football. Just under another title.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I am uneasy about this appointment I wonder if AN and Bassong are too, I can see problems arising at Colney.
Nah, he's a pro and not going to be dealing with the first team. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I am uneasy about this appointment I wonder if AN and Bassong are too, I can see problems arising at Colney.
Good point about Bassong, perhaps that's why he has been given an administrative role instead of a football one for now. Its also a job which sees him travel a lot watching players so he won't be at Colney much. 

Doubt Alex Neil would be worried, what would he have to fear? 
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top