New shirt sponsor - do you care who?

The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I like the Aviva sponsorship. Could we not just ask them to pay a bit more? I think I remember them being quite unsuportive of the club in the past but in recent years the opposite is true, and they are the regions biggest brand probably so would be a shame to part ways. I think its much better if the sponsor is related to the club and not just Burger King because they bid the highest
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
 Day dreaming of course, but wouldn't it be lovely to have no sponsor on the shirt ?? 

WBA  did this only a few seasons ago in the prem, only for a year or two, but apparently it boosted shirt sales dramatically.  Seeing as all of our shirt sales are "in house", you could realistically expect more shirt sales with a classier, simpler design, then we wouldn't be losing the full £1million that we aren't getting from Aviva next year 
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
When you look at decent sized companies in Norfolk though, there aren't exactly that many options besides the ones we've already had.

Aviva, Colman's & Lotus have all graced our shirts over the past 20 or so years, I don't remember us having Bernard Matthews, but I think that idea's a bit of a turkey anyway...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
 Day dreaming of course, but wouldn't it be lovely to have no sponsor on the shirt ?? 

WBA  did this only a few seasons ago in the prem, only for a year or two, but apparently it boosted shirt sales dramatically.  Seeing as all of our shirt sales are "in house", you could realistically expect more shirt sales with a classier, simpler design, then we wouldn't be losing the full £1million that we aren't getting from Aviva next year 
We wouldn't just be losing the £1m from Aviva though we'd be losing the 2 or 3m we could get from a deal with a bigger company. There's no way on earth that a sponsorless shirt would make anywhere near that kind of money from extra sales.
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
I agree, it's certainly not going to generate the same money, but it wouldnt cost us much either. 
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
I dunno, I'd rather take the money. The sponsor is largely irrelevant in my opinion.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Considering the amount of moaning there was about the shirts, Id imagine it does matter who the sponsor is. If it makes your kit look cheap and tacky then surely thats as bad as a poor design
 
Personal Trainer

Personal Trainer

New Member
When you look at decent sized companies in Norfolk though, there aren't exactly that many options besides the ones we've already had.

Aviva, Colman's & Lotus have all graced our shirts over the past 20 or so years, I don't remember us having Bernard Matthews, but I think that idea's a bit of a turkey anyway...
Those left, Banham Poultry, Archant, Kettle Chips, Naked Wines or even Norfolk Broads (now that would be interesting).
 
Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

New Member
I think y'all are thinking too small with national brands, considering the club now gets international exposure at a level never before seen.  Remember, this is the same club who this spring signed the licensing deal with Fermata to give the club more exposure abroad. What that detail promises to the club, I have no idea.  I've not seen anything over here yet and my club inquiries have gone unanswered.  But it's clear what direction they are going, as there's more than just TV money coming from being Premier League.

As far as Aviva goes, it's really the same problem that ManU has with Chevy - decent sponsor, terrible execution.  The gradient gold inside the modern Chevy bowtie (that's what their cross logo represents, for those of you who didn't graduate from a Detroit area high school) makes it look terrible on a kit, but a simple bowtie with the Chevy name underneath is sensible.  If ManU do a retro third, I hope they have the sense to use a retro Chevy logo with the Chevy name inside the bowtie.

That said.  I don't have a problem with alcohol (in fact, I want a shirt with Fosters on it), but wager firms, payday loans, and strip clubs are out of the question.  I've also thought Rolex would look really good paired with NCFC.  Do they just stick to F1/golf/tennis deals? 

dpl1313ma025.jpg20110916PHOWWW00002.jpg

Nicolas+Almagro+2012+Shanghai+Rolex+Masters+r1_knFJsVC6l.jpg

Of course, you could always stay local...

ep8QWJI.jpg
 
E2 Canary

E2 Canary

Member
Barcelona went one step further and actually paid their sponsor to use their logo on their shirts for 5 years (Unicef).
That Barcelona Unicef thing was interesting. Up until that point (2007) Barcelona had never had a sponsor's logo on their shirt. If they had jumped straight into having a commercial sponsor, it's likely their fans (Barcelona's quite a left-wing city) would have balked. So the deal where they "paid" UNICEF kind of sugared the pill. Then they had a deal with UNICEF/the Qatar Foundation, and underwriting that deal was oil sheikh money. Then, once the terms of that deal had expired they launched into full-on sponsorship by Qatar Airways. A kind of "softly-softly" sell-out.

Barca fans aren't happy about the Qatar Airways deal because of problems with the way Qatar Airways treat their staff. Not to mention it's uncomfortably close to the migrant slave labour and the World Cup 2022 stadiums being built in Qatar.

More info about the origin of Barcelona's sponsorship sell-out here: http://philosofooty.afootballreport.com/post/2168114008/barcelonas-sponsorship-deal-the-end-of-an-era

There's even a Torygraph article about the Qatar Airways deal which features a link to an online petition: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/barcelona/11731733/Petition-calling-on-Barcelona-to-drop-shirt-sponsor-hits-40000-in-24-hours.html

As for me, there are plenty of companies I wouldn't want on an NCFC shirt. But I'd imagine they're also companies that Delia wouldn't want on our shirt, so I doubt we'll end up sponsored by Gazprom, Exxon, Monsanto, Bayer or Nestlé.

Bring back Poll Withey Windows!
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
We cannot take the moral high ground about an industry, football, that has very few morals, and is currently about the big boys squashing the small ones.

So people would probably laugh at Durex on our shirt yet it is a potential life saver. We have BET365 and William Hill adverts around the ground and sell lots of alcohol within the ground. 

It is impossible to berate companies that break no laws and are willing to give our club at least a million for putting their identity on our clothing. As long as their logo doesn't ruin the shirt and its appearance is all you can really expect.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Anybody who doesn't want to be exposed to adverts for alcohol or gambling could consider moving to Saudi Arabia, where all forms of gambling and alcohol are illegal.

The vast majority of people who gamble or drink do so without developing an addiction. 

Both go hand in hand with football and are an important part of our national heritage and culture. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top