By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Brentford (away) Tuesday 27th October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Din

Din

Will definitely take that point. I don't think we actually deserved it to be honest, if I was a Brentford fan I'd be feeling hard done by not to have come out with all 3 points, particularly considering the manner of our goal. Ultimately though we found a way through late on yet again, which is all that matters.

I think we really missed Quintilla today. Sorenson did a decent job but a right-footed centre midfielder playing at left back just isn't ideal, makes the deal to loan out McCallum look even stranger than it did at the time. The amount of times we almost seemed to try and force the ball down the left hand-side and Brentford were comfortably pressing us into making a mistake or giving it away. Like last season when we played Byram there, the whole balance of the team feels wrong when you have a right-footer at left back, particularly considering how important full-backs are to our play.

Think Vrancic instantly looked more comfortable when dropped back into a deeper role. He pressed really well particularly in the first half but I don't think he can pull the strings in the same way when he's playing off Pukki like he was. We really need Buendia to step up and start properly taking control of games like he can at this level, feels like at the moment he's constantly a frustrated figure. That said though his set-piece delivery today was fantastic, criminal that we didn't make more of them, especially Hanley's one in the first half where he has to hit the target. Also worth saying without Tim Krul making two fantastic saves we lose this game comfortably. That one from Toney in the first half was absolutely brilliant.

Brentford are a very good side, that's clear to see. May have taken the lead against the run of play but once they did they played some really nice stuff, and Ivan Toney looks an absolute player. No doubt they'll be right up there again this season.

Anyway, a good point away from home. 10 points from 4 games since the international break, can't complain about that. Another tough away fixture against Bristol City on Saturday, let's hope we can keep the unbeaten run going.

N

Number 9

Didn't see any of the game. Another late goal, a point away at Brentford. What's not to like. Appears that Sorenson had a good debut. Quite a few from the black hole, complaining that our goal was only a deflection, so was lucky. Who gives a toss, any goal that helps win points, are really worthwhile. Some strange creatures about
It was one of the luckiest goals you're likely to see, was heading several yards wide of the goal before it hit the defender and trickled into the far corner.

BUT, if you don't buy a ticket, you can't win the lottery.

morty

morty

Staff member
Didn't see any of the game. Another late goal, a point away at Brentford. What's not to like. Appears that Sorenson had a good debut. Quite a few from the black hole, complaining that our goal was only a deflection, so was lucky. Who gives a toss, any goal that helps win points, are really worthwhile. Some strange creatures about
Oh definitely lots of positives. The biggest one being that we are in a great league position without really having played that well.

G

GJP

Ah well. Win your home games, and don't lose away, that's how you win this league.

Not sure if Vrancic warranted his start, or not...
It always feels like Vrancic has to score or at least assist to justify a start. But the same doesn't go for others.

G

GJP

I'm not major convinced by Rupp/Skipp as the central two.

Rupp looks worth his place. But I'm not sure of them as a pairing and Skipp being an automatic starter.

morty

morty

Staff member
It always feels like Vrancic has to score or at least assist to justify a start. But the same doesn't go for others.
I think that is very much tailored to his skillset though. He isn't the type of midfielder who can do absolutely everything, so he is judged on what he can do. I guess in a similar way that could justify a striker being continually picked, despite not scoring goals, but he brings other things to the table too.

We do not have perfect players, in that respect, they all have a flaw in their game, for instance if Kenny scored more goals he would be perfect, but has kept his place on the basis that he does a lot of other things adequately.

G

GJP

But, for example, McLean, does not pass the ball as well as Vrancic.

Vrancic is the best passer of the ball at the club and he is arguably the best finisher outside the strikers (and maybe better than some of them).

N

Number 9

I think that is very much tailored to his skillset though. He isn't the type of midfielder who can do absolutely everything, so he is judged on what he can do. I guess in a similar way that could justify a striker being continually picked, despite not scoring goals, but he brings other things to the table too.

We do not have perfect players, in that respect, they all have a flaw in their game, for instance if Kenny scored more goals he would be perfect, but has kept his place on the basis that he does a lot of other things adequately.
I differ in opinion there, if a striker ain't scoring then it doesn't matter to me if he runs around alot, we have midfielders to run, strikers just need to goal hang and hit the net regularly.
Grant Holt was really good at putting crosses into the box, I wanted him in the box though, on the end of crosses.

morty

morty

Staff member
I differ in opinion there, if a striker ain't scoring then it doesn't matter to me if he runs around alot, we have midfielders to run, strikers just need to goal hang and hit the net regularly.
Grant Holt was really good at putting crosses into the box, I wanted him in the box though, on the end of crosses.
So Pukki should have been dropped last season?

N

Number 9

So Pukki should have been dropped last season?
He was injured and not scoring goals. Might have done him a favour, remember that he hardly had a close season break because of his international commitments.
He was probably knackered to be fair.

morty

morty

Staff member
But, for example, McLean, does not pass the ball as well as Vrancic.

Vrancic is the best passer of the ball at the club and he is arguably the best finisher outside the strikers (and maybe better than some of them).
So why is he not starting every game? Riddle me that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.