By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Bristol City (Home) Saturday 20th April

morty

morty

Staff member
Last game of the season for me, as off back to Aus on Monday. Feels to me that the play off place is pretty much cemented now, and I think a win here could make it a certainty. On paper Brizzle are in really good form, but if you study the form table further they are very similar to us, ie great at home, but pretty awful away! It feels like we really have hit our best form of the season at just the right time, who knows where it could all end...

Overall form.

1.jpg

Away form

2.jpg

We could even end up 5th, as all 3 of our remaining games feel very winnable...

League.jpg

morty

morty

Staff member
David Wagner gave an update on squad fitness, confirming that Jacob Sørensen has returned to full training ahead of this weekend's fixture against Bristol City.

Wagner also gave further news on injuries, saying: "There is a high possibility Grant Hanley is back next week to prepare for Swansea. We will know more on Dimi (Giannoulis) next week."
Jonathan Rowe returned to the squad to play 17 minutes against Preston North End in City's 1-0 win at Deepdale last week.
"No problems with him, he had a good week and this week so far. He will be involved again on Saturday.
"He is not ready to start at the moment; he was out for two and a half, three months. We've seen what kind of impact he can bring and it's great to have him back. With another week of training next week, his start will come closer and closer."

On the results of teams around Norwich City, Wagner said: "As long as we win, I don't care what the others are doing.
"This will be our aim for Saturday as well. Everyone knows Bristol is the in-form team in the last five games.
"I like what I've seen of them; it's a very energetic team, they work hard, would not be surprised if they are in the mix for play-offs next season.
"What you can feel in training and in the dressing room, the players are hungry and greedy for more.
"It's a good feeling, this feeling with confidence and the atmosphere at home in recent games, it makes sense to keep the foot on the gas.
"I think 71 points will not be enough to win the play-off place and a chance for getting promoted and this is just how it is.
"It is just another game at home where we can collect three points, this is our mindset. It's near the end of the season, so it makes it exciting. We can't wait for Saturday."

When asked about Ashley Barnes and his performances this season, the head coach said: "Barnes tactically is good, you can rely on him, he will do something with the ball and fight for it.
"This is the attitude and desire that you feel when you cross the white line. Everyone likes to follow him, this is why I love having him in our team."
On Sam McCallum, he said: "He is the most developed and improved player in the last four or five months.
"He is front-footed, great in the air, with a long throw in, one of the best kids we have in the dressing room.
"He made some big steps, still has a lot of space to improve; there were some less good performances too, but in general he consistently performs on a very high level. He never gives up, even if he didn't get the game time."

The Canaries host Bristol City in the penultimate home game of the season at Carrow Road on Saturday.
"This is a proper challenge we will face, if you look at the names they have beaten already, in the FA Cup as well.
"They can put out a top performance and they have shown they are on a good run, very energetic, quick. Anything you need to be a super successful team. This is a team you will have to have an eye on next season."
Last week saw Gabriel Sara named in the Sky Bet Championship team of the season, to which Wagner said: "He is above average in more or less all departments and this is something extraordinary.
"Plus, the willingness and attitude to be desperate to get better, this makes him one of the most interesting players in the Championship."

morty

morty

Staff member
I was talking to my son before the game and said I did wonder if we were due an off day, and that it was unlikely we would just win, and that would be the play offs sorted.

I thought Sara, Nunez and Barnes were decent, but too many other players had a 6/10 game. Even Rowe looked a bit below par when he came on.

N

nwcanary

Luckily none of our rivals for play offs did any better so still in our hands. Coventry looked useful yesterday against MU but have difficult games to come so would need a major cock up on our part to miss out on the play off excitement. Thought of promotion is scary!