By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Man City (Away) Saturday 21st August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Number 9

Listening on the radio, fed up with Gunn already!

N

Number 9

So we've got one more game before the transfer window closes.
Then, if they've signed a decent defensive midfielder and not just another 19 year old, we've got maybe four weeks while he trains up til Farke plays him.
:(

G

gerryinromania

Well,my ageing eyes, and my ageing brain, are telling me , that what I saw on the tellybox, was that Norwich City, were truly awful, no fight, just spineless. How can you lose 5-0 and don't even get one yellow, for someone trying to compete.Maybe I'm wrong, but hanley, pukki and cantwell were so bad, and they are supposedly, senior pro's. Spineless. Yes, we certainly do need a centre half, pukki needs a good lay down, and hopefully some money will come in for cantwell.

G

gerryinromania

A long ride back to get your spirits up Morty. Safe journey

morty

morty

Staff member
Right, am home now, with a glass of wine, and have things to say.

We'll deal with the game first. We got beaten by likely the best club side in the world. The Premier league champions, playing their first game of the season, with a full stadium. With a shiny new 100m pound player in Jack Grealish. We were literally playing 1970's Brazil, but better. Away from home.

I have seen a lot of "Oh we didn't try" and "They looked like they couldn't be bothered" and "They looked beaten before they even started" but sorry, what a load of bollocks. No player, especially at this level crosses the white line and can't be bothered, how long do you think Farke would put up with that, or any manager, for that matter? The fact is they are, man for man, way better than us, and you can throw the accusation of "Oh Norwich didn't work hard enough" around all you like, but it really isn't about that, we could have gone there and played the game of our lives, and still get tonked 5 nil. And every single time they made a sub, on came another 50m player. The fact is that good players make average ones look bad. And the best manager in the world probably doesn't have to try too hard to work Norwich out tactically. So lets all have a bit of context.

Also, obviously, been on Twitter and seen quite a few fans opinions, and some have literally run the white flag up the flagpole already, it really is going to be a very, very long season for them. We have been beaten by the last two winners of the Premier league, in our first two games, honestly what expectations did some of these people have? I have also seen the phrase "little old Norwich" wheeled out already. Well I'm sorry, as much as people may not like it, we are little old Norwich. We're a small club massively punching above our weight, that is the fact of the matter. And also they like little old Norwich when it suits them, like when we get a sponsor they don't like, and they can go crying to Delia about it. Newcastle have a similar sponsor, how much of a shit would Mike Ashley give if fans didn't like theirs?

You can also throw in losing our best player (Would today have been any different with Emi in the team? ) three new players in the starting lineup, all playing at a higher level than they have played at, subs in Sargent the same, and was that Mumba's Premier league debut? Add into the mix the fact our pre season has been ridiculous too. I have seen enough from the last two games to be reasonably happy with the players we have bought, Rashica looks up to the level already, I think Lees Melou looks like a very good buy, and we still have to see Tzolis. Yes, we still need a DM, but Webber said he wouldn't be rushed, and there are 10 days of the window left, obviously if one is not forthcoming by then, I'll be on the phone to him :)

I am genuinely, genuinely astounded at the state of some of our fans tonight! Of course it is fine to be annoyed we lost, but ideally temper it with a bit of context!

20210821_143133.jpg

20210821_144807.jpg

morty

morty

Staff member
Oddly, the BBC gave Billy Gilmour man of the match! I thought he was excellent today, but would have assumed a Man City player would have had it!

N

Number 9

Right, am home now, with a glass of wine, and have things to say.

We'll deal with the game first. We got beaten by likely the best club side in the world. The Premier league champions, playing their first game of the season, with a full stadium. With a shiny new 100m pound player in Jack Grealish. We were literally playing 1970's Brazil, but better. Away from home.

I have seen a lot of "Oh we didn't try" and "They looked like they couldn't be bothered" and "They looked beaten before they even started" but sorry, what a load of bollocks. No player, especially at this level crosses the white line and can't be bothered, how long do you think Farke would put up with that, or any manager, for that matter? The fact is they are, man for man, way better than us, and you can throw the accusation of "Oh Norwich didn't work hard enough" around all you like, but it really isn't about that, we could have gone there and played the game of our lives, and still get tonked 5 nil. And every single time they made a sub, on came another 50m player. The fact is that good players make average ones look bad. And the best manager in the world probably doesn't have to try too hard to work Norwich out tactically. So lets all have a bit of context.

Also, obviously, been on Twitter and seen quite a few fans opinions, and some have literally run the white flag up the flagpole already, it really is going to be a very, very long season for them. We have been beaten by the last two winners of the Premier league, in our first two games, honestly what expectations did some of these people have? I have also seen the phrase "little old Norwich" wheeled out already. Well I'm sorry, as much as people may not like it, we are little old Norwich. We're a small club massively punching above our weight, that is the fact of the matter. And also they like little old Norwich when it suits them, like when we get a sponsor they don't like, and they can go crying to Delia about it. Newcastle have a similar sponsor, how much of a shit would Mike Ashley give if fans didn't like theirs?

You can also throw in losing our best player (Would today have been any different with Emi in the team? ) three new players in the starting lineup, all playing at a higher level than they have played at, subs in Sargent the same, and was that Mumba's Premier league debut? Add into the mix the fact our pre season has been ridiculous too. I have seen enough from the last two games to be reasonably happy with the players we have bought, Rashica looks up to the level already, I think Lees Melou looks like a very good buy, and we still have to see Tzolis. Yes, we still need a DM, but Webber said he wouldn't be rushed, and there are 10 days of the window left, obviously if one is not forthcoming by then, I'll be on the phone to him :)

I am genuinely, genuinely astounded at the state of some of our fans tonight! Of course it is fine to be annoyed we lost, but ideally temper it with a bit of context!

View attachment 1015

View attachment 1016
I can't speak for anyone else, just my own personal ramblings.
I fully expected to lose the first couple of games, and against Leicester & Arsenal too, that's a given in my mind.

As I've mentioned before, I firmly believe that we haven't really learned lessons from the past. The recent history of our games in the Premier League exposes the tactics we use as naive to say the least.
When I hear the management team talking about this and how they need to address the issue, I think that maybe this time will be different.

Then here we are without defensive midfielder (and a decent backup) and still a defence which looks like they only met once this morning.

This should have been sorted out years ago, even if we ignore the years that we've defended like school kids, then we should have had the required players in and being trained together prior to the season starting.

I understand the argument that should our players have been managed by Pulis or Allardice we wouldn't roll over to have our tummies tickled.
Obviously, most of our fans wouldn't want that type of football, but surely there must be a middle ground where we actually look like we look like we're organised and given more than a fleeting thought to what happens at set pieces and perhaps all the defenders shouldn't be attacking at the same time.
That's not all about having several £100 million players, that's just about tactics and training.

I can see it, I hear commentators talking about it, opposition teams obviously exploit it.

morty

morty

Staff member
Again though, perspective. I mean, what do you actually mean by "lessons from the past"? The reality, again, is that we are a small club punching above our weight, a lot of things have to go very, very right for us to be even close to competing. So if a lesson from the past is we don't defend well, do we have 100m to buy a new defence? Of course we don't.

And all this time we are desperately treading water, just about getting by, every single other team is progressing, every season. Man City aren't even the side we beat a few seasons ago, they are much, much better.

And if it was as easy as tactics and training then how much you spend on players would never matter.

I just think people need a bit of balance and perspective.

N

Number 9

Again though, perspective. I mean, what do you actually mean by "lessons from the past"? The reality, again, is that we are a small club punching above our weight, a lot of things have to go very, very right for us to be even close to competing. So if a lesson from the past is we don't defend well, do we have 100m to buy a new defence? Of course we don't.

And all this time we are desperately treading water, just about getting by, every single other team is progressing, every season. Man City aren't even the side we beat a few seasons ago, they are much, much better.

And if it was as easy as tactics and training then how much you spend on players would never matter.

I just think people need a bit of balance and perspective.
So what would you do to improve our results?

morty

morty

Staff member
So what would you do to improve our results?
Well for a start not shit my pants after losing to two of the biggest clubs in world football.

It is literally down to patience, and trusting Farke. Patience for new players to bed in, patience in a lot of players actually achieving full fitness and patience for Webber to get a few more in.

Sidmouth Canary

Sidmouth Canary

Whilst I predicted an anal raping i didn’t predict that Man City would go in unlubed

OldRobert

OldRobert

Our last 12 Premier League games: W: 0 D: 0 L: 12 Scored: 1 Conceded: 32 Kinda speaks for itself in my book. Not all against top sides. Not all current squad I admit, but it doesn't make pleasant reading whatever way you look at it. Like everyone on here I have pride in NCFC, and I do not like the contempt that some journalists, pundits and other fans are beginning to regard our club.

morty

morty

Staff member
Our last 12 Premier League games: W: 0 D: 0 L: 12 Scored: 1 Conceded: 32 Kinda speaks for itself in my book. Not all against top sides. Not all current squad I admit, but it doesn't make pleasant reading whatever way you look at it. Like everyone on here I have pride in NCFC, and I do not like the contempt that some journalists, pundits and other fans are beginning to regard our club.
Very selective though, Covid really screwed us that season, we need our away support more than a lot of other sides do. And you have to ask why has the guy that put that stat together got for 12 games? Why not 10, or 20?

There was nonsense on Twitter last night because Talkshit were spouting absolute rubbish about us.

N

Number 9

Very selective though, Covid really screwed us that season, we need our away support more than a lot of other sides do. And you have to ask why has the guy that put that stat together got for 12 games? Why not 10, or 20?

There was nonsense on Twitter last night because Talkshit were spouting absolute rubbish about us.

It's twelve consecutive Premier League losses, that's why its that stat.

Every club in the world had Covid to deal with, including those twelve in that stat.

N

Number 9

There is a significant difference between that last season in the Prem and this season.
There were no fans in the ground expressing disappointment at the continued losses and relegation.
This season sees a full house every week.
I really hope that we can improve and survive, it might get toxic if we continue to be 'unlucky' though.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Someone has put it far better than I, and they are not idiot sport journalists who know sod all.

Quote:"
To be up a second time using Grant Hanley as your first choice centre back, with no competition in with a week or so left of the window is insane. We should, could, have got Ajer.

To still be playing an unfit, older, past his best, Pukki relentlessly, and to have only just got Sergeant in, is insane.

To play a flat three midfield to accommodate a kid who looks lightweight, and for not a single one of those to be a premier league quality holding midfielder is insane.

To not have replaced Tettey, or Skipp when it was obvious months ago he wasn't coming back, is insane.

If Webber doesn't spend serious money on a first choice centre back and a first choice defensive midfielder, and Farke persists in playing a formation that leave the striker isolated and allows the entire midfield to be bypassed with a single pass, then I have to start to question if both have reached their level."

End Quote

Just to be plain, I agree with every word, just this guy has put it better than I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.