By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Sheff Wed (Home) Friday 19th April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dj161

dj161

well that was eventful, we weren't at our best tonight but deserved something out of the game,

the Weds keeper should of been sent off, you can't just pick the ball up anywhere on the pitch you want, if it was an outfield player that did that they'd be off for certain, this is made worse by the fact that Wigan had a player sent off for a 'handball' on the goal line (it hit is chest),the keeper then spent the whole second half time wasting knowing there was no way he'd get another yellow and be sent off especially as they didn't have a keeper on the bench

cracking goal from Forestieri that no keeper could do anything about, but there second was a joke, ball hooked up with the arm on to the leg to put in the net, joke

and then came Super Mario, what a way to end the game stunning free kick to claim a deserved point, it's also funny looking at twitter to see all the Weds fans crying about the goal being after the allotted time, it's called minimum added time for a reason you douchebags, made even better that there was so much of it because of their own time wasting, if they'd of just got on with the game there wouldn't of been anywhere near as much

all in all a fair point, but we should of had the game wrapped up in the first half, the ref was terrible

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Leitner didn't really come in and pull all the strings like people imagined he would. Not really his fault, can't take him out of the team for months and then stick him in and expect him to start off where he left off before his injury.

Only.... that sort of is what people expected, and we were probably being unrealistic. Note that he doesn't get the same level of criticism that Cantwell got for coming in from the cold and being off the pace though.

He just looked rusty, some of his decision making was off and his final balls very hit and miss and his corners were mostly gash. Probably need to just put him down as one that needs a good pre-season to reestablish himself now.

I'd like to see Vrancic start on Monday.... just use Leitner as somebody who we could use to slow down the tempo for the final 10 to 15 if we've got a decent lead to protect and want to calm everyone down.

Leitner and Vrancic both of equally quality to me.... but Vrancic the one who looks sharpest right now.

G

GJP

Vrancic just delivers. That's the thing. As good as Leitner is when he's on his game...Vrancic creates goals and scores goals.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Vrancic just delivers. That's the thing. As good as Leitner is when he's on his game...Vrancic creates goals and scores goals.

We were playing differently when Leitner was in our team pulling the strings and dictating the tempo as a deep playmaker, our play was more patient and less direct. I'd argue more attractive also, but probably not entirely viable right now when everybody looks absolutely exhausted and don't have the same level of composure (we looked rattled for a period tonight).

Not really a fair comparison RE: goals and assists, because Leitner was seldom used in a number 10 role..... whereas Vrancic has been frequently. Nobody judged Michael Carrick on those things.

But right now we're crying out for Vrancic.

No appetite for a Vrancic vs Leitner debate though, because it doesn't have be an either/or situation, both can do a job in the league above and that can be on the pitch together.

Leitner = Carrick
Vrancic = Lampard

OldRobert

OldRobert

I wish we'd stop starting Mr Pointy Man. When he's not putting the ball straight out for a throw/goal kick, I can only think he's practicising conducting an orchestra or directing traffic. What he isn't doing is tackling, driving forward or scoring goals, neither will he succeed in the PL if we get there. McLean's the name if you hadn't guessed. Watch him if you hadn't noticed the Pointy Man aspect of his game.:( It's usually a sign of someone who isn't keen on receiving the ball.

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Here's my team for Monday.....

Krul

Aarons Zimmo Godfrey Lewis

Trybull Vrancic

Buendia Pukki Hernandez

Rhodes​

Controversial perhaps, but Stiepermann looks exhausted but I don't think you can justify dropping him without replacing his height for set pieces (attacking and defending) which is why I think it needs to be Rhodes who comes in for him.

McLean loses out as a result.

N

Number 9

I wish we'd stop starting Mr Pointy Man. When he's not putting the ball straight out for a throw/goal kick, I can only think he's practicising conducting an orchestra or directing traffic. What he isn't doing is tackling, driving forward or scoring goals, neither will he succeed in the PL if we get there. McLean's the name if you hadn't guessed. Watch him if you hadn't noticed the Pointy Man aspect of his game.:(
I had to listen to Radio Norfolk for this game and hilarious when Goreham commentating on the pointing.

OldRobert

OldRobert

Didn't hear that Number 9, actually spotted that all by myself some weeks ago! Glad some are catching up at last!:D

Din

Din

This team man. They've given us so many fantastic moments, and even though we didn't get the 3 points or play particularly well, seeing Vrancic's brilliant free-kick hit the back of the net was one of those moments.

For the 3rd time in a row we really weren't the best. When I saw Leitner in the XI I assumed he would be alongside Trybull and McLean would be pushed further forwards, but instead Leitner was stuck out on the right hand-side for most of the game and just wasn't able to put his stamp on it at all. Despite his goal Stiepermann was absolutely dire. Hernandez was slightly better than he has been recently but the change in both of their performances since Buendia has been suspended is staggering. Man of the match for me was probably Aarons, though I thought yet again Trybull was brilliant too.

I don't think I've ever heard Farke as fuming as he obviously was in his post-match interview. And to be fair who can blame him. The ref yet again did his best to fuck us over. Sheffield Wednesday's first goal, fair enough, there's not an awful lot we could've done it's a sublime strike (Forestieri's a player by the way, worth a look maybe if we go up?),but their 2nd Fletcher literally scoops it into the net. I can understand how the linesman hasn't seen it but the ref needs to see that and he hasn't. Plus there's goalkeeper handling it outside the area and not getting sent off. The potential pull-back on Aarons in the first half, and in general he gave practically every 50/50 against us. If it wasn't for shocking refereeing decisions we'd have gone up by now just based on the last 2 games alone. There's today's game, the Wigan game and the handball against Godfrey, and the idiotic ref against QPR who sent Buendia off yet didn't do the same for two QPR despite identical, if not worse challenges. Is there some sort of weird EFL conspiracy going on here?

Loved the A Fine City banner in the Barclay before the game, and also the Brazilian guy who was actually crying as he walked round the pitch in half-time. Buzzing for him that he got to see that ending.

Next game though Buendia and Vrancic in for McLean and Leitner. Beat Stoke, and watch as one if not both of Sheffield United or Leeds lose their games (Hull and Brentford away for them two, not easy at all). Can't wait :D

Last edited:
morty

morty

Staff member
Just back from the pub, this will do for now, how ridiculous was this goal?

Reactions: Din
Din

Din

Sorry but that's bollocks.

I love the guy and this whole team has earnt the right to have some bad games after the season they've had, but how many times did he try and take on too many Wednesday players and end up running into trouble and losing the ball, or getting a simple pass or cross completely wrong? He's not the only one but the change in him since Buendia's suspension is really worrying.

morty

morty

Staff member
"Dire" maybe a wee bit harsh? I think since Emi's forced absence the balance of the unit has really suffered, he provides that out ball and penetration that no other player in the squad can do, and the dynamic of it all has shifted, and perhaps meant that players have had to adjust their roles to try and take up the slack. This cannot be underestimated, look how many games we named an unchanged side, and the results that ensued.

I didn't see many players play badly, I did see players that are coming to the end of a long season, with a fair bit of pressure on them though.

And lets not take anything away from Sheff Wed, I thought they were decent.

G

GJP

And lets not take anything away from Sheff Wed, I thought they were decent.

Yup. Infact better than decent. It was a good game to watch. Be interesting to see how they get on next season.

Thought Fletcher caused us quite a few problems.

morty

morty

Staff member
Swiped this off a mate on Twitter, what a beautiful sight!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Stiepermann has been poor for a few weeks now, think he's just exhausted and could do with a week off. I'd rest him on Monday.

Dire is harsh though, considering his goal (and he wasn't far off scoring a similar one later in the game).

But problem is we'd then lose a bit of physicality and Stoke remain a big strong team, so I think Rhodes would need to come in.

With 13 corners yesterday we could really have done with Rhodes to be honest, and earlier in the season we did well out of set pieces when Klose was in the team.

So I think we need to make two changes.... to accommodate Vrancic and Rhodes.

And we need to take out Stiepermann plus one out of Leitner or McLean.

Godfrey also looking knackered though, so wouldn't be entirely against Klose coming in too.... and with Klose and Rhodes on the pitch our set pieces would suddenly become a major threat to Stoke!

Last edited:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

By the way...... Farke can justifiably moan about the quality of refereeing in recent weeks.

But I don't think he has rotated his squad sufficiently when we have fixture congestion over the course of this season. Obviously he's got us to the top of the league, but the problem with not using your squad is that when you really need the players who are missing out they look well off the pace (like Cantwell and Leitner have shown).

Status
Not open for further replies.