By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs West Ham (away) Saturday 31st August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Looks like men against boys, West Ham a very athletic team and that was what worried me about promotion to be honest having seen Palace play a couple of times last season.

Buendia completely ineffective today, a passenger (I'd be delighted if that comment backfires in the last half an hour of game though!).

dj161

dj161

Looks like men against boys, West Ham a very athletic team and that was what worried me about promotion to be honest having seen Palace play a couple of times last season.

Buendia completely ineffective today, a passenger (I'd be delighted if that comment backfires in the last half an hour of game though!).

He was a passenger against Chelsea last week too, needs to start stepping up

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

he'd probably get a standing ovation from our fans

We actually look like we could have done with Tettey in there somewhere to break up play, West Ham have just found it too easy to steamroll their way through a lightweight midfield.

Last edited:
Din

Din

I'm sorry I don't want to be negative so early in the season, but that was so poor. Nowhere near good enough. Don't get me wrong we had bad luck with Zimmermann going off after a shocking challenge, and then West Ham scoring while he was still limping around within a few minutes of the tackle (though as I said earlier in the thread he shouldn't have started today). But if we'd have lost by 4 or 5 we couldn't have had any complaints. West Ham look a very good side don't get me wrong, but we aided them in every way possible. So disappointing after 3 good/encouraging performances we have to go into the 2 week break on the back of that.

I don't wanna focus on Zimmermann too much because you never know the injury might not be too bad and he might be back for Manchester City (though judging on what Farke has said about him leaving in crutches I doubt that),but I am really frustrated that he was chosen to play today. With Klose out for the season we simply cannot afford him to be injured between now and January, so why we're playing him when he's not fully fit and have an international break coming up is just mind-boggling to me. Put Amadou in, and if he has a shocker and we get thrashed so be it, we can recover from losing one game. What will be 100 times harder to recover from is if Zimbo is now out for a lengthy spell and we drop a considerable amount of points because Hanley isn't good enough. Thank God that injury to Godfrey in pre-season wasn't serious or we would be f*cked.

But yeah, all that happening didn't help. But in general we felt so disjointed today, which isn't something I've ever described this Farke team as being. Our midfield was far too lightweight (I would like to see Amadou come into it for Trybull but if we need him at centre back that might not be an option),and how many simple passes did we misplace today, with Buendia being by far and away the worst culprit. Last 2 games he just hasn't been there and it's so frustrating because he's got so much quality but I don't know what's wrong with him he just isn't using it. Hate to say it as well but Stiepermann just hasn't shown any evidence he's good enough at this level. 4 starts for him, 1 ok performance against Newcastle and 3 downright poor ones. What worries me as well is that Roberts isn't even making our bench. Is there something behind the scenes there? Because I don't know why he wouldn't even be named as a sub. Only bright side today was Krul, who made some fantastic saves and kept it being a cricket score. Jamal Lewis also impressive going forward.

Hate being so negative and realistically we are only 4 games into the season. This time last season we'd just been thrashed by Leeds and were sitting 17th in the Championship. We do have a habit under Farke of being better after the first international break, so I'm hopeful we can do that again this year. But yeah that was such a frustrating game on so many levels. After Manchester City we have Crystal Palace, Burnley and Villa. 3 games we have to pick up a good amount of points from. So let's pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and go again after the break.

Din

Din

Think that's a bit harsh. Don't get me wrong he needs a kick up the arse, but he was class last season and without him probably wouldn't have got promoted. He still deserves to be applauded off the pitch we are only 4 games into this season after all.

I do really hope he can sort himself out though over the international break. Buendia on form will control games even at this level.

morty

morty

Staff member
Not much to add. I think we looked a bit jaded and off the pace, and made West Ham look better than they are. It just never got going really. I think they pressed us hard, got in our faces, teams have picked up on this pretty quickly. We just need to keep doing what we are doing though, I am certainly not advocating tactics changes, and bad luck with injuries is limiting our options off the bench.

As long as their heads don't go down, and we get the odd break, we'll be okay.

A pity, I had a bet on 2-2 as I thought this was a game we could have got something out of.

morty

morty

Staff member
Needed bloody binoculars to see the pitch today!

Reactions: Din
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

That really is a shit stadium isn't it... Looks like it belong in America.

morty

morty

Staff member
That really is a shit stadium isn't it... Looks like it belong in America.
It provided a great customer based, soccer experience!

Soulless and sanitised. I have a mate who is a fan and she rues the day they left the Boleyn.

hogesar

hogesar

It provided a great customer based, soccer experience!

Soulless and sanitised. I have a mate who is a fan and she rues the day they left the Boleyn.

After all that, you must have literally been just in front of me going by that picture!

P.S I hate West Ham

morty

morty

Staff member
After all that, you must have literally been just in front of me going by that picture!

P.S I hate West Ham
I think you were further along the row from me, I was in seat 115 row 70, I looked for you and couldn't spot you!

Status
Not open for further replies.