Norwich make his for McCormack.

KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Remember what happened when we signed that up and coming young dutch man? How much did we make on him?

Villa will be much stronger with McC next season and I hope people will still be happy about the finances when they pip us to second.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I still wouldn't swap our squad for Villa's, even if they have McCormack in their team. Fulham came down and spent all of their money on McCormack too.

But if we don't buy some goals from somewhere we are stuck in this league. Doesn't have to be McCormack but it does have to be somebody. 
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I still wouldn't swap our squad for Villa's, even if they have McCormack in their team. Fulham came down and spent all of their money on McCormack too.

But if we don't buy some goals from somewhere we are stuck in this league. Doesn't have to be McCormack but it does have to be somebody. 
I would swap managers though. That isn't denegrating AN too much it is just a recognition of Di MAtteo's ability. Schalke are his only blemish.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
So frustrating this. We've signed two players this window and I highly doubt either of them will start on Saturday. I remember one of the great things about Lambert was that he'd have practically all our business done well before the season kicked off. We've known since May which areas we need to improve, with striker being the most obvious of them, and yet we have been p*ssing around and now we've missed out on our first choice target to one of our main rivals. 

Would love Kodjia here but Villa have already had a couple of bids rejected, and if they decided that McCormack was better value for money then you have to wonder how much Bristol City are demanding. Realistically though we're going to have to sign one of him, Assombalonga, Wells or Bamford. I can't think of anyone else who would essentially guarantee goals for us at this level, that we can afford.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
So Saturday, Jerome gets injured in the first five minutes and we are stuck with Lafferty. Enough of the excuses from all at NR1 1JE. The season starts in 3 days and we will be putting out last year's model. We hear it season after season. Where is the exciting build up looking forward to new starts from 2 or 3 new players.

Two signings. One played for the under 21's and the other wil be a bench warmer until Ruddy cocks up (and with Rudd on loan we will need to borrow a keeper just in case!!).

I hate to sound miserable but surely even the most loyal can't see wrong supporter must be a little frustrated. 
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
If Jerome gets injured then I imagine it'll be Wes in behind Naismith. Not ideal but we'll manage.

Also Canos played for the under 21s for more minutes, he won't be there during the season. Behind the Murphy boys in terms of fitness thanks to having less of a pre season.
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
Would rather have kept Rudd and used him up top tbh.
I feel I should clarify, that was an attempt at humour. I was suggesting playing RVW is like playing a strikerless system.

Rather than actually suggesting we should have kept RVW.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Can't see how Pritchard fits in. Do we play him as a number 10, push Wes to the left and leave Naismith on the bench?
I'd imagine the most likely thing will be Pritchard playing on the left side, Canos on the right, with Wes and Naismith rotating based on Wes' fitness and form.

It certainly looks like AN is going for a more fluid set of players behind the main striker, and Pritchard can comfortably play anywhere across that, but I think he's mainly been brought in to replace Brady rather than yet another no10 to compete with Wes, Naismith and Maddison.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I'd imagine the most likely thing will be Pritchard playing on the left side, Canos on the right, with Wes and Naismith rotating based on Wes' fitness and form.

It certainly looks like AN is going for a more fluid set of players behind the main striker, and Pritchard can comfortably play anywhere across that, but I think he's mainly been brought in to replace Brady rather than yet another no10 to compete with Wes, Naismith and Maddison.
So will Pritchard, surely up to scratch and fully fit, start on Saturday or will it be "needs to bed in with our style" before we see him. What happened to the days when new signings went straight into the team because they were good footballers.

And who will he replace? Apart from Bassong or Bennett, the back five is sorted with Ruddy in goal as well. Howson is probably Captain so will start as will Jerome, Wes, Naismith. That is ten. So Pritchard would make eleven. Diamond perhaps with Howson on the right and Naismith pushed on?
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
i am expecting pritchard to come off the bench on sat,  but hopefully fit enough to start.   Would start Jerome in front of brady, wes and murphy/canos,  bring naismith on for a tiring jerome.
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Well AP says he has had a full pre season so should be ready to go. May well be ahead of Brady in terms of fitness. But with only 48 hours to acclimatise to his new team mates and role I would still expect Brady to start ahead of AP, but AP could feature in a come off the bench appearance.

I am probably in a minority but I am happier with the purchase of a talented young player than I would have been with McCormack despite his goal scoring record.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
I am not particularly upset we didnt sign McCormick to be honest , sure wouldnt have complained had we signed him, but let's just sign someone a little younger. I also get the Rudd and GK situation and have no issue, he needs starts simple as that. 
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
What I don't understand is that the Pritchard deal was literally completed in about 24 hours. We put the bid in, offered wages, he signed today. Why the f*ck couldn't we just do that with McCormack? He will be one of the top scorers in this division, and if Villa get promotion ahead of us because of that I think a lot of people will start to wonder why we spent so much time p*ssing around and didn't just get the deal done.

As for Saturday, Brady was injured for the Hannover game so don't know if he'll start this. Pritchard said he's played a full pre-season so I imagine he'll start on the right, Naismith through the middle and Hoolahan in a 'free role' just to the left.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Why the f*ck couldn't we just do that with McCormack?
Obviously preferred Villa. 

I'm actually getting a bit worried about the striker situation to be honest. We need somebody, even if its somebody who we'd use for a year but ditch upon promotion (e.g. Chris Martin?). 

I know there is a few weeks until the window closes but I don't trust the club to deliver after recent failings. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I really wish that we could have done something with Mbokani really, I guess the rumours of him being on ridiculous wages at Kyiv are true. 
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Obviously preferred Villa. 

I'm actually getting a bit worried about the striker situation to be honest. We need somebody, even if its somebody who we'd use for a year but ditch upon promotion (e.g. Chris Martin?). 

I know there is a few weeks until the window closes but I don't trust the club to deliver after recent failings. 
Villa and Newcastle understandably have done the most business and are probably under the greatest pressure not only from their own fans but from the media.

I'm not sure there is the same media pressure on us, after a few games they will stop talking about last season and concentrate on what is happening this.

I am worried also about a striker coming. I keep repeating that there are five league games before the window shuts and any delay or niggling over fees could come back to haunt us if we don't have a decent few points by then.

I think the majority of supporters were led to believe our previous failings in the transfer market had been resolved and it wouldn't happen this time around. But at the moment, last season's reason for relegation has yet to be resolved-a goalscorer. 
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Obviously preferred Villa. 

I'm actually getting a bit worried about the striker situation to be honest. We need somebody, even if its somebody who we'd use for a year but ditch upon promotion (e.g. Chris Martin?). 

I know there is a few weeks until the window closes but I don't trust the club to deliver after recent failings. 
Not sure that he preferred Villa, but Villa were obviously prepared to meet Fulham's price and met the players expectations as well. We clearly were not happy to meet Fulham's price.

Agree we could do with another striker who could play the lone striker role. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top