Okay, now I'm starting to worry!

Wiz

Wiz

New Member
With 4 days left and no new striker, or signing in sight, clubs refusing our offers etc, plus Grabban's antics I'm now seriously concerned for our season.

Are you worried yet?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I think our first XI when played properly has more than enough about it to stay up. The concern is the extended squad. We're a bit thin at left-back though Brady has done well. Wisdom covers right back and centre back, but with Turner gone we're still thin there. Midfield is strong enough. I have faith in Jerome to do the business, I rate Hooper and Im happy for RvW to get another bite of the cherry. I think Lafferty could be a useful option from the bench. Grabban can s*d off, not really necessary at all.

I dont think we're any poorer in our ability to score goals this season than our last Premier League season, and we nearly stayed up despite that, so I dont think there are major reasons to worry. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I'm not worried because I think that it is very unlikely we won't sign anybody. 

There is always business to be done on transfer deadline day.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
The only thing that's worrying me a little is that we seem reluctant to let Grabban go. If the rumours are true and Bournemouth have offered £6m for him, I honestly can't see any benefit of keeping him here.
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
Frustrated more than worried, Wiz. It's not just the club's we are trying to buy from that are playung the game, City clearly are too! Im expecting action no doubt before midnight on deadline day, and feel we will end up being pleasantly surprised. 
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
Not worried, just think we're in for a busy Monday night/Tuesday morning.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I think the fact we've let Turner go means that the club are confident of getting in another central defender. Had it not looked likely I have a feeling Turner would have been ahead of Wisdom in that position. I also feel that Toffolo will be backed for a role in the first team this year, I don't think he'll be loaned out or just used in the cups. With Olsson, Toffolo, Brady and Johnson we're strong enough down the left. 

Striker situation will be the fun one, loads that could happen here.

Also wish we'd signed another out and out winger as I don't really rate Elliott Bennett but I guess they were keen to keep what seems to be a very positive character around the squad.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Toffolo didn't look quite ready to me against Rotherham, think he needs a loan in the Championship. 
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Against Rotherham we made 8 changes and it's safe to say he wasn't as protected as he'd be in a real first team. Unless we sign another one I really think he'll be playing a part. He's even been given a fairly low number.

Although I guess you could say the number thing doesn't mean anything as Hooper is 11 and we've almost certainly been willing to let him move.

Thinking about it a little, short term loans could certainly be an option. Might be a better way of getting him up to speed.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
M

Moosheep

New Member
Not particularly worried. The squad we have are good enough to survive, although a few injuries and we could be in trouble. I do think that there will be new arrivals though, but it does seem that there is a lot of 'transfer poker' going on at the moment. If selling clubs sense an air of desperation they will hold out for an extra million or two.
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Yes I am getting concerned Wiz.

An injury to Cam Jerome and the Grabban situation not resolved and we could be left with the two strikers who could not play up front on their own the season before last - RvW and Hoops. And neither could they play as a pair.

I know others are more concerned about the centre back situation, but arguably at this moment in time we are better covered there.

We need some ins before the deadline and there seems to be little progress with the passing days, despite what rumours would suggest a lot of effort. I just hope we can pull a couple of rabbits from the hat.

OTBC
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beauseant

Beauseant

Well-Known Member
Frustrated more than worried, Wiz. It's not just the club's we are trying to buy from that are playung the game, City clearly are too! Im expecting action no doubt before midnight on deadline day, and feel we will end up being pleasantly surprised. 
I hope you're wrong, given that the window closes at 6pm!

Seriously though, you all need to chill out. There's nothing unusual is what's been happening and there's plenty of evidence of activity. We've reached the stage now where if it happens today or at 5.59 on Tuesday makes little difference. I expect a minimum of 2 but up to 4 players in by the deadline.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
I think we'll get a CB in and possibly a striker if one or more current strikers leave.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
An injury to Cam Jerome and the Grabban situation not resolved and we could be left with the two strikers who could not play up front on their own the season before last - RvW and Hoops. And neither could they play as a pair.
I actually think that they could work fairly well together as a front two, with Hooper sitting behind RvW in a slightly more withdrawn role, however I find it doubtful that we'd play two upfront unless we were chasing a game or in such a poor position from an injury/suspension perspective, that it was more of a forced option rather than a genuine choice.

One more bizarre suggestion would be to modify a real old school approach with a modern twist and do something like this:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8jy9s
 
Last edited by a moderator:
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
I actually think that they could work fairly well together as a front two, with Hooper sitting behind RvW in a slightly more withdrawn role, however I find it doubtful that we'd play two upfront unless we were chasing a game or in such a poor position from an injury/suspension perspective, that it was more of a forced option rather than a genuine choice.

One more bizarre suggestion would be to modify a real old school approach with a modern twist and do something like this:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=8jy9s
I was at Goodison two years ago when this was tried. I would not describe it as a success! 

But you are right AN seems to prefer playing a single striker as did Hughton who was criticised for buying strikers that did not fit his preferred style of play. Hence the concern that we could end up in the same boat. 

The Mbokani rumour calms that concern - let's hope it comes to fruition.
 
Beauseant

Beauseant

Well-Known Member
I was there too, and you're absolutely correct: it was a disaster! The ball kept coming back as neither of them were able to hold it up and the back four were eventually overrun.
 
K

Killiecanary

New Member
I'm not worried because I think that it is very unlikely we won't sign anybody. 

There is always business to be done on transfer deadline day.
yeah...like Becchio!!

Any more worried now CB? 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I was there too, and you're absolutely correct: it was a disaster! The ball kept coming back as neither of them were able to hold it up and the back four were eventually overrun.
I think Hooper could be tried in that role again though, as the Celtic fans highlighted Hoopers link-up play as one of his strengths. I really like Hooper as a player and us not using him and seemingly allowing him to leave goes against the grain for me. RvW we're still yet to see very much from, but the same is not true of Hooper. I think we're making a mistake not trying to find a way of having him in the team. Perhaps he'd be more suited to being behind Jerome than RvW though.
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top