By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Pre season friendlies

G

gerryinromania

Football. 2 X 45 Minutes and no tea ladies, no bloody kneeling and bowing and scraping. Good to get in 90 minutes for the legs. See what the next game brings

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

No Buendia or Hernandez today ? I assume Mcallum is on the bench and will replace Lewis at half time

OldRobert

OldRobert

Defensively we've learnt bugger all, and we continue with a bunch of suspect fitness players at the back without a hint of a replacement for any of them. This has been going on for what 3 seasons, and we continue to leak goals like a bloody collander. Who will be the first to have a long term injury this season.................Klose, Hanley, Famewo has a knock, Byram out long term again, Lewis reported to have a knock. I can only think it's against DF's religion to buy a fit CB.

Last edited:
N

Number 9

Defensively we've learnt bugger all, and we continue with a bunch of suspect fitness players at the back without a hint of a replacement for any of them. This has been going on for what 3 seasons, and we continue to leak goals like a bloody collander. Who will be the first to have a long term injury this season.................Klose, Hanley, Famewo has a knock, Byram out long term again, Lewis reported to have a knock. I can only think tah it's against DF's religion to buy a fit CB.
They're going for the Burnley chap, trying to loan him rather than buy

N

Number 9

Defensively we've learnt bugger all, and we continue with a bunch of suspect fitness players at the back without a hint of a replacement for any of them. This has been going on for what 3 seasons, and we continue to leak goals like a bloody collander. Who will be the first to have a long term injury this season.................Klose, Hanley, Famewo has a knock, Byram out long term again, Lewis reported to have a knock. I can only think it's against DF's religion to buy a fit CB.

Defence:-

We've signed a right back and two left backs.
We're currently trying to sign center half.
We conceded one goal from five preseason games.

We've signed three defensive midfielders to shield the back four.

OldRobert

OldRobert

I'm sure you've watched the friendlies. I'm sure you are aware what leagues they play in. I'm sure you saw the schoolboy error in defence today resulting in the first goal conceded in game 1. I'm sure you saw their CF score with a great header after moving effortlessly between our CBs who just stood there, flat footed, also in game 1. Goodness knows how many times we've seen this before over the last 2/3 seasons. We even saw Godfrey turned several times today in the penalty area, by a player presumably worth pennies compared to him. In the other games, no we did not concede, but you must concede that was as much because we were playing sides from a much lower standard on the whole rather than our skills in defence. You post elsewhere, they can't all be wrong all the time.

I've seen a lot of reports that one of the LB's signed, McCallum, while having no shortage of talent is a long way short as yet, of being a starter in the first team. Nobody knows yet what the standard is of the DFMs signings. Are they starters or are they not yet.

You miss my point regarding the back four. It is their injury records over the last 2/3 seasons that concerns me. It won't matter how many you have shielding them, if they are unavailable through injury.

N

Number 9

I'm sure you've watched the friendlies. I'm sure you are aware what leagues they play in. I'm sure you saw the schoolboy error in defence today resulting in the first goal conceded in game 1. I'm sure you saw their CF score with a great header after moving effortlessly between our CBs who just stood there, flat footed, also in game 1. Goodness knows how many times we've seen this before over the last 2/3 seasons. We even saw Godfrey turned several times today in the penalty area, by a player presumably worth pennies compared to him. In the other games, no we did not concede, but you must concede that was as much because we were playing sides from a much lower standard on the whole rather than our skills in defence. You post elsewhere, they can't all be wrong all the time.

I've seen a lot of reports that one of the LB's signed, McCallum, while having no shortage of talent is a long way short as yet, of being a starter in the first team. Nobody knows yet what the standard is of the DFMs signings. Are they starters or are they not yet.

You miss my point regarding the back four. It is their injury records over the last 2/3 seasons that concerns me. It won't matter how many you have shielding them, if they are unavailable through injury.

I've bored the regulars on here many times over the years with my criticism of our defence.
It's public info that many of the new signings are hoped to make our first team, mid to long term, but will be very unlikely to be effective this season.
Bali Mumba and Sam McCallum and Melvin Sitti as examples.
However, Sorensen is hoped to have an impact (he seems lightweight to me) and the club is trying to sign Gibson from Burnley who it's hoped will play CB.

Farke has said more than once about strengthening defence and conceding less but in these friendlies we have seen
two full backs bombing up the pitch at the same time and then a panic as everyone chases back when the ball is lost.

We've seen chaos in defending set pieces and this against lesser opposition than we will have to face in the Championship.

Gibson is being chased, City want to loan him with options but Burnley are holding out for a sale. Who knows whether he will make our defence leakproof? I suspect it's more to do with coaching and tactics rather than personnel.

We have to remember though, these have been friendly preseason games and next week is a cup game.
What really matters is in two weeks time when we stand in front of Huddersfield's finest. Up til then, it really doesn't matter.

N

Number 9

and why did we go to a place called horse winkle?