splutcho
Moderator
I have no issues with Johnson playing there after the season he's had, but if that's not working we have no other plan for that position.
It's part of his job to get forward, though.I'm not a Whittaker detractor....but I do worry about the cover there when he often gets caught too far up the pitch.
Very true. For all of the hard graft Hooper, Jerome and Grabban will put in in the Prem, at the end of the day all the need from a striker is to put the ball in the bloody net. Everyone thought it was crazy when Sunderland paid £14m for Defoe, but he saved them £130m by keeping them up.I agree about the strikers - but it does seem harsh on Cam Jam and Grabban. Hoops surely won't stay, bearing in mind his lack of game time in the lower league this season. One quality goal scorer could be worth his weight in gold (look at Defoe at Sunderland for example...crucial goals at crucial times.)
Yes it is...same as Olsson. But Whitaker does have some issues with positioning (and to be fair gets less cover from Redmond than Olsson does from BJ) and I think is a little slow in transition at times. I don't think at all that Whittaker has had a poor season (and always believed that the stick he got at times was shocking)It's part of his job to get forward, though.
I think we could definitely do with a wide player or two, even if Alex Neil wants to give BJ a chance there.Now...?? I will be surprised if BJ doesn't start there in the PL. This really was a weird season wasn't it??
I don't know why Whittaker gets the amount of stick that he does, but I do think that we lack a pacey player at right back, neither Whittaker or Martin are blessed in that department.Whitts has been quality this season, surprised people are so quick to want a change. We do need another one though presuming Martin will remain at cb.
I would say Whittaker's positioning is quite good, probably better than Olsson's. But of course Olsson does have that pace to help him out.Yes it is...same as Olsson. But Whitaker does have some issues with positioning (and to be fair gets less cover from Redmond than Olsson does from BJ) and I think is a little slow in transition at times. I don't think at all that Whittaker has had a poor season (and always believed that the stick he got at times was shocking)
But is RB an area I think could do with strengthening for the Premier League? Yes, I still do. Who would be better? No idea! That's why we're lucky to have Wee Alex!
Whittaker has done well this season, but the important point is that this was in a league lower. He's now 2 years older than when he was found to be vulnerable defensively in the premiership to pace and skill. No doubting his on-the-ball ability is good, but I would seriously question him defensively in the Premier LeagueWhitts has been quality this season, surprised people are so quick to want a change. We do need another one though presuming Martin will remain at cb.
Really don't think Hooper will leave. We wouldn't sell him to a rival club because we know he can score at that level. Jerome was often used as a winger under Pulis so I'm pretty sure he'll score next season. Grabban is the wildcard at that level for me. I honestly thing the only way Hooper goes is if we sign another clinical type, like Rhodes.
I've got similar thoughts. He's decent enough as a Premiership squad player but I'd have serious doubts if he's our 1st choice RB. Much like Johnson...Whittaker has done well this season, but the important point is that this was in a league lower. He's now 2 years older than when he was found to be vulnerable defensively in the premiership to pace and skill. No doubting his on-the-ball ability is good, but I would seriously question him defensively in the Premier League
More importantly, he would never come to another team that will be battling relegation. He'll be looking much higher than that, and rightly so. Quality playerI think he'll be going for about £10m. Probably out of our price range.
Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.