RVW 'In the striking mix'

the jarrold

the jarrold

Member
According to today's pinkun. Neil says he brings something different. Maybe he's thinking of including him in the squad after all.
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
Hope so, the ability is there but the confidence isn't, if anyone can help him AN can.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I'd actually be very pleased if we kept him as I think he was horribly misused by Hughton, which has destroyed a large chunk of his confidence, but with a strong manager like AN to help him out, we could actually finally see the player we paid a record fee for.
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
Definitely doesn't sound like a manager who's desperately trying to flog him. And he's right, he's a different style of striker to Jerome or Hooper. It looks like Ricky's accepted he's not getting his move this summer, so he's going to stay and do his bit for the team. Good on him. 

Definitely not a bad option to bring on after 65 mins when defenders start to tire. Probably won't get more than 5 goals a season, but if 5 goals secure that 100m TV money it'll be worth it 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I had always hoped this would happen under Alex Neil. Mentally I am not prepared to write RvW off until he has proved to be a consistent flop in a number of different situations.

We saw him be anonymous in a set-up even Suarez would have struggled to flourish in - its not as if he was squandering hatfuls of golden chances. He is of course no longer the player we bought two seasons ago as he inevitibly has suffered a crisis of confidence. Neil's man management and motivational skills mean that if the player is recoverable, he has the right person behind him.

If we see him get a decent run in the team, have many chances created for him, and him fluff the lot - then, and only then, will I be able to write him off mentally.

Until then I will always fear that there is a good player in there that was right under our nose.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
Well considering I am in the "I trust everything Alex Neil does" mood right now, this is the first time I am beginning to have any doubt on his decision making, albeit a small doubt.  

Had this been Neil Adams giving out this message, then I feel he would have been dragged off in a straight jacket.......but, this is Alex Neil.....so lets see if we get to see a different RVW.

My concern biggest concern is that in the EPL strikers, even the small/shorter one's, need good upper body strength as part of their make-up and this guy is still so light weight......I will continue to have huge doubts until he starts to take those simple chances, which dont come in abundance at this level.   

Somebody mentioned "contractual".........really does smack of that.  
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
having read the article I wont read that much into it;  he gives feedback on rickys game which is similar to what I saw;  a hard working performance with good movement but better finishing needed,  and recognition he is a movement and not strength player.  fair assessment to my mind;  still think others will remain preferred.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GJP
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
My concern biggest concern is that in the EPL strikers, even the small/shorter one's, need good upper body strength as part of their make-up and this guy is still so light weight
If he is as lightweight as people keep making out, could this not be an advantage in terms of winning free-kicks? A certain Mr Holt was very good at drawing fouls. A certain Mr Snodgrass not so good but tried it nevertheless.

If RvW is easily fouled, surely he could work that to his advantage?
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Probably just keeping him happy for the scenario where the club fail to sell him.
 
dj161

dj161

Well-Known Member
If we see him get a decent run in the team,
This is my main concern here, what kind of run will he get, he has Grabban, Jerome and Hooper all vying for that starting spot with him, towards the end of our premiership run he and Hooper seemed to be swapping in and out of the side on a weekly basis, when really what they both needed was a run of 5 or 6 games in the side to fully take advantage, It seemed as though Hughton was saying 'RVW you didn't score so its Hoops turn, 1 week later 'Hoops you didnt score lets give RVW a go', I just hope that whoever plays gets to showcase their talent over a spell of more than 90 minutes at a time
 
Scott

Scott

Active Member
Needs to do a lot to impress but if AN can see potential then that's all we really need to know - hopefully he will deliver
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top