So what would your plan be on signings before the window closes?

Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
It can't be easy behind the scenes at Carrow Road and many other clubs right now, knowing which players to release or accept bids for without knowing who you will be signing. Clearly most of the clubs, including City, are playjng the same game of pushing things to the last minute to maximise the fee.

So, if it were you with the purse strings at Carrow Road what would your approach be with just a few days left? Would you be looking to sign three or four player's and try to broaden the squad as much as possible,  mid range cost signings of say 2 to 5 million (although they do of course cost way more than this in total budget) or, would you be gunning for the one or possibly two big signings at the top of the list, even if it means spending a bit more than expected?

Whilst having standby signings, considering everything right now, I personally would be throwing all my energy behind and stretching the purse strings for the two big signings, one forward player and one CB. The lad from Wolves for example, if he is who the Manager really wants, then up the offer to where Wolves have to seriously consider and close the deal, it wil be an investment if his goals are the difference and will ensure we have two of the type of big front men we need at this level should Jerome get crocked, I say JFDI !
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
It can't be easy behind the scenes at Carrow Road and many other clubs right now, knowing which players to release or accept bids for without knowing who you will be signing.
Which is why I'm surprised we let Turner leave before the window closes, there is a loan window which opens about a week later. 

We can loan anybody out who doesn't fit in the 25. 
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I personally would be throwing all my energy behind and stretching the purse strings for the two big signings, one forward player and one CB.
This.

If we can bring in one of Nkoulou, VVD of Koulibaly (In that order of preference) then that's the CB position sorted.

As for the striker area, this is where I have a bit of a problem. I don't see that Afobe is worth anywhere near what Wolves are demanding, Austin has proven ability but has a huge underlying injury concern (as well as costing big money) and I think most of the other players linked either don't suit our style of play or aren't good enough relative to their cost, yet I've not seen us linked with any of the players I'd ideally like us to be looking at (but who are likely to be out of our reach anyway).

What I wouldn't give for someone like Aboubakar, Batshuyi or even the players I suggested a while back like Heung Min Son (now at Spurs for 22mil), Leo Baptistao (gone to Villareal on loan for the season), Zivkovic (loaned to Willem II for the season). Aubameyang (signed a new deal til 2020 with Dortmund) or even Iago Aspas (failed at Liverpool and now signed for Celta)...
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Centre back was my priority, and I still consider that important.

Now though I think the very first thing we should do is accept Bournemouth's offer for Grabban today, and sign a replacement ASAP. 

Even if it is a short term solution like Murray or Walters. I'd be happy enough if we just sold Grabban and signed Dwight Gayle. 

Then looked at another striker if Hooper leaves. 

Dwight Gayle is currently resisting moves to Championship sides in the hope that he will get to remain in this division, so if we signed him he'll probably be delighted to pull on the shirt, I just want players who want to work hard for our club. 
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
we wont let either hooper or grabban go until we have a replacement (am sure this is why its gone quiet on the hooper to sw move;   still keen but with grabbans situation we wont want to leave ourselves that short).

2 strikers and a cb in,   sell grabban loan hooper out with a few others when the "emergency" window opens a week later.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Sell Grabban, hopefully for around £6m.

Keep Hooper

Put Grabban money towards a new striker

Use whatever money is left to buy a centre back

In ideal world we would use the Grabban money to get Charlie Austin, and we should still have £5/6m left to sign a centre back.
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top