By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

The Best Team?

Which team was the best?

• 2003/04

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • 2010/11

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 2014/15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2018/19

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
Din

Din

Been a bit of debate recently, mainly because of things that Holt and Hucks have said on various platforms, of which Norwich side of relatively recent years was actually the best. Would be interested to see what people think of how our current squad compare to the other 3 teams that got promoted from the Championship.

I was only 7 when the 03/04 team were doing their thing, didn't go to my first game until 2006, so can't really compare them to the others. I did watch a 2 hour long season review of that season the other day, but don't think it's quite the same :D Obviously we still don't know how well this side are going to do as well, but fuck it.

2003/04:

Green
Edworthy Mackay Fleming Drury
Mulryne Francis Holt
McVeigh McKenzie Huckerby

Subs: Brennan, Rivers, Roberts, Svensson, Henderson, Crouch. Manager: Nigel Worthington
According to wikipedia Green was our only goalkeeper this season. Which is... interesting.

Looking at that team the defence looks very strong. Holt and Francis in the middle is incredibly solid and obviously Huckerby was on fire that season. Not hard to see why this team won the league.

2010/11:

Ruddy
Martin Barnett Ward Drury
Fox
Lansbury Crofts
Wes
Jackson Holt

Subs: Whitbread, Tierney, Lappin, Smith, Surman, McNamee, C.Martin, Wilbraham, Pacheco. Manager: Judas
Decided to put Lansbury in ahead of Surman pretty much purely because of that goal against Millwall, and the fact he put in the corner for Jackson's goal vs Derby. Plus he did make a few more appearances over the course of the season.

Defensively not the best at all, though Martin and Ruddy were both brilliant that season. Drury though was on his way out by then, and Barnett and Ward were solid but pretty unspectacular. Though to be fair that was all they needed to be. The midfield and attack was unreal though, and Holt and Jackson in the last 10 games or so of that season were easily the best strike partnership I've seen in my time as a Norwich fan.

2014/15:

Ruddy
Whittaker Martin Bassong Olsson
Howson Tettey
Redmond Wes Johnson
Jerome

Subs: Cuellar, Turner, Bennett, O'Neil, Dorrans, Grabban, Hooper. Manager: Alex Neil
Again, not amazing defensively. We don't need to get started on another Whittaker/Martin debate. No doubting how good that midfield is though. Jerome as well got 21 goals that season, and would've had about 61 if he had any sort of composure. Obviously this team keeping their cool over 2 legs against Ipswich and then that day at Wembley will always make them special.

2018/19

Krul
Aarons Zimmermann Klose Lewis
Trybull Leitner
Buendia Stiepermann Hernandez
Pukki

Subs: Hanley, Godfrey, Tettey, Vrancic, McLean, Cantwell, Rhodes. Manager: Sexy Horse-riding German
I put there what I think is our best XI with everyone fit. Harsh on Vrancic and particularly Godfrey (not saying we should drop him btw),which I think demonstrates that this team has by far the best depth of the 4. Defensively one of the stronger teams, particularly at full back, and like many of the other teams every player just seems to fit.

I genuinely don't know which team is the best. So I'm going to delay voting for a bit haha. Looking at each side reminded me of some of the fantastic teams we've had over the last 15 years or so. The only thing I would say is looking at all the other teams they do seem to have a weak link. Edworthy and Mulryne in 03/04, Barnett and Ward in 10/11, Whittaker and Martin in 14/15. Our current squad doesn't have any weak links I don't think in the starting XI, or even on the bench.

Obviously a lot probably depends on whether this team gets promoted or not. At the moment though I have to say I'm torn between the current team and Lambert's team, but am leaning towards the current lot. As I said though I wasn't around in the 03/04 season.

Last edited:
morty

morty

Staff member
Great thread, bloody hell, a tough choice, I'll have to give this some deliberation!

morty

morty

Staff member
Final league tables from the seasons apart from this one :-

03-04

10-11

14-15

Reactions: Din
morty

morty

Staff member
Am trying to add a bit of context regarding the strength of the opposition in the three seasons, but there isn't really much in it, there is decent quality in the top six across all three promotion season.

03-04 was all about Huckerby for me, the loan signing of him and Crouch was a masterstroke, and actually signing him on a permanent was the key to promotion. That back 5 was absolutely solid, Francis, in his day was fantastic, and Gary Holt is one of my all time favourite players. Matty Svensson did well for us too. I think we were really lucky that season with injuries, and we didn't change the side much.

10-11 was all about the momentum for me, everything just clicked, a perfect storm of Lambert (urgh) Holt and Hoolahan. The diamond and just blowing teams away.

14-15 The Leeds feeder club season, Johnson and Howson had the season of their lives, Tettey in his prime, and the emergence of Redmond. And it culminated in the best day ever at Wembley.

18-19. IF they get promoted then we can talk about how they compare, but it has been an amazing season, and anything less than promotion would be a disappointment now.

Which team is best? Not a clue, they are all great for different reasons and contexts. One thing for sure though is that the last 16 years have been an absolute rollercoaster and amazing to be part of!

Reactions: Din