They know they've done poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Wisdom, like Martin, prefers to play centre-back, even though others prefer to see him at right-back.

My only concern with Wisdom as 4th centre-back is that he cant be a fourth centre-back if he is also being 1st or second right-back. If he successfully displaces Whittaker, as we might see in the next few weeks, he cant be pressing the centre-backs. Should we need to drop or replace Bassong or Martin and Wisdom is in the team, unless its Ryan Bennett you need to move Wisdom out of a position he's presumably doing well in and let Whittaker in by default.

He's talked about Elliott Bennett being a right back but will he realistically be challenging Whittaker.

I just dont think you can use Wisdom twice. He's either competition for Whittaker, or for a centre-back. I dont really see how he can be both. Versatility is good and gives you options, but you shouldnt have to rely on it.

Lets call Wisdom a centre-back for the sake of argument. We have 4 centre-backs for 2 positions. Thats ok. But then I worry that Olsson and Whittaker are effectively first choice by default as neither Toffolo or Elliott Bennett are considered to be of the same standard in that position
That is one of my concerns as well, GMD. On the one hand, I think it's important to have a settled defence, but on the other does it foster complacency through lack of competition. It still seems strange to me that we have loads of CMs and strikers, but only 6 recognised defenders for four positions. Yes Brady can cover for Olsson and EB can cover for RB in an emergency but it does seem a bit thin to me. 
 
K

Killiecanary

New Member
I'm not suggesting there is Morty, and I have made my views clear on that. I would still like an explanation of the situation so we can all move forward. The club has an obligation to communicate with it's fans. If we bid for players and did'nt get them then fine, just say that. If Wisdom is considered sufficient cover, then fine, just say that. If BJ moved on for the reasons I suggest, then fine, just say that. Some vedry simple communications could sort out any doubts and then we could all move on.
why should we get an explanation of the club's transfer business though?  Firstly there is no game this weekend so no press conference where those questions might be asked  till next week.  Or should the club  have held a special press conference to answer questions specifically about the transfer window YF?  I agree with your first sentence above - we had an ok window. Strengthened the midfield and the attack - importantly for me with players who are likely to feature regularly in the first team. As opposed to buying 15 players who will rarely if ever feature (we have been too guilty of that on previous deadline days - Becchio, Andreu, Kamara etc) 

realistically what do we expect AN to say?...'yes we didn't get the CB i I really wanted and we are very vulnerable there unfortunately'...or 'I hope Wisdom can cover those gaps but we aren't sure?'  I don't think any communication from the club would put anything to bed and we would move on...unfortunately it would just lead to a whole new round of questions and comments.  

Whether AN has the squad he ideally wanted we don't know...nor should he go telling us.  His job now is to take the squad he has (which as I say I think is stronger than the one we got promoted with) and make sure they get enough points to stay up.  Everything else is just distraction.  
 
C

Canary World

Member
I think the damning evidence of our activity in the transfer window came from Crystal Palace.

They would have sold Gayle to us but we left it to late for them to get a replacement.

We had been interested all summer why wait til the last day
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I think Wisdom with be the 4th choice CB and competition for Whitts, Thus far he's only really played CB at youth level but I can't imagine Neil being willing to let Turner go if he didn't feel he was up to the job.

It's not really strange and it wasn't  by design, it just happened that the defenders we were after were either too expensive or didn't want to join. The club obviously wanted to strengthen at the back.

Looking forward for hearing Neil's comments on Johnson's departure. If the rumour is true then I imagine we'll be forced to read between lots of lines.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Gayle would have been an incredibly average signing. Another Hooper really in that he'd need us to go for a 2 up front.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
PS subtle but quality trolling Wiz
Wiz trolling is not subtle, it's comparable to being hit by a double decker bus.

That being said I don't think LOOK AT ME posts should be classed as trolling really.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
K

Killiecanary

New Member
That is one of my concerns as well, GMD. On the one hand, I think it's important to have a settled defence, but on the other does it foster complacency through lack of competition. It still seems strange to me that we have loads of CMs and strikers, but only 6 recognised defenders for four positions. Yes Brady can cover for Olsson and EB can cover for RB in an emergency but it does seem a bit thin to me. 
very fair points all of them.  I actually think Elliott Bennett will end up as a full back anyway.  I think he is much more suited to that than a midfielder - I am wondering whether AN has decided that and is in the process of repositioning him.  

Otherwise I think we just about have enough cover at th back to cover normal situations as there are at least 2 players for each position

(Whittaker / EBenno / wisdom / Martin at RB, Ollsson / Brady / potentially Toffolo at LB, Bassong / Martin / RyBen / Wisdom at CB)

but I would have liked one more CB.  I actually think AN wanted one who would be clearly and significantly better than what we have already and couldn't get one.  
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
I just see Wiz as another poster and had this question been asked by anyone else am sure it would have received a more reasonable response as oppoed to this wiz is a troll stuff.

Its a fair question, but I cant recall the club coming out with any special statements when similar things have happened, why would they? They know that it will be a topic at the next scheduled press conference and will, I'm sure, give a fair response then along the lines of what Morty has said.

Am I the onky one who thinks there has been a huge over reaction this week?  I ask that even though i posted a knee jerk post myself to the BJ transfer.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
I just see Wiz as another poster and had this question been asked by anyone else am sure it would have received a more reasonable response as oppoed to this wiz is a troll stuff.

Its a fair question, but I cant recall the club coming out with any special statements when similar things have happened, why would they? They know that it will be a topic at the next scheduled press conference and will, I'm sure, give a fair response then along the lines of what Morty has said.

Am I the onky one who thinks there has been a huge over reaction this week?  I ask that even though i posted a knee jerk post myself to the BJ transfer.
So its not really a fair question then, is it? Because anyone reasonably level headed can provide themself with the answer, just as you have yourself.I'm pretty sure Wiz knows exactly what he is doing here and I am nipping it in the bud. He started this same thread on the PU, and one yesterday asking if Alex Neil was just a puppet of the board, I suspect tomorrow or Monday there will be another similar thread. Its not happening here.

Yes, there has been ridiculous over reaction by some, it seems that every season we spend in the Premiership the more self entitled people become.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
I just see Wiz as another poster and had this question been asked by anyone else am sure it would have received a more reasonable response as oppoed to this wiz is a troll stuff.

Its a fair question, but I cant recall the club coming out with any special statements when similar things have happened, why would they? They know that it will be a topic at the next scheduled press conference and will, I'm sure, give a fair response then along the lines of what Morty has said.

Am I the onky one who thinks there has been a huge over reaction this week?  I ask that even though i posted a knee jerk post myself to the BJ transfer.
I did as well, Mark, but now I the reasons behind it. What concerns me is that the uncertainty is causing an 'overeaction' as you say, and more than that a rift amongst the fans which isn't good for the club. I'm not criticising anybody, because I think the window has been reasonable and I don't have any issues with that, as I've said before. I dislike conspiracy theories, but they feed on lack of information.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I think the damning evidence of our activity in the transfer window came from Crystal Palace.

They would have sold Gayle to us but we left it to late for them to get a replacement.

We had been interested all summer why wait til the last day
And from QPR, who said they received no formal bids all summer for Charlie Austin. 

Agree with Killie though actually, if Alex Neil publicly says he wanted a top half centre back and a 15 goal striker, then he'd be taking a leaf out of Hughton's book and effectively saying that some of his players aren't good enough. 

Not a constructive way to manage, he needs to get the best out of what he has got and he'll only do that by giving them the belief that they are good enough for this level. Pointless too, as we already know that we wanted a striker, we know that we tried to buy Dwight Gayle. 

A win over Bouremouth would settle our nerves. 
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I think many people find the 'Deadline Day' hype an annoyance they'd rather have steered clear of. The De Gea farce proves the ridiculousness of a lot of it. Madrid wanted to sign him all last season and the whole of the transfer window. Man Utd (and probably accidentally on purpose) give the green light only hours before the window closes and it fails to happen. Stupid.

Similarly I think many people think its just *bleep*-poor organisation to leave everything until the last day.

Of course we know that the club has been trying to do business all summer and hasnt left it until the last minute, but when you consider how we went about business with Brady and the silly and derisory opening offers for him, there is definitely an argument that had we had more convicition earlier in the window with certain targets, we could have had them in months ago.

We only got Brady because noone else was trying to sign him. Imagine we had a competitor and we bid 2m and, say Leicester, bid 6-7m Hull would have accepted it straight away and we'd have missed out. we only got away with our dawdling because noone else was in for him. Similarly if we really wanted Walters we could have had him in an instant for 3m, instead of quibbling about 500k. Remember we released Miquel with a book value of over 1m and paid whatever compensation was necessary, seemingly for little reason seeing as we have a space now.

Our attempts to sign these players looks amateurish, and throwing in bids left right and centre for any striker going on the last day smacks of desperation. These low bids and failure to stump up the necessary cash just makes it look like we werent that bothered about actually getting these players in and were just chancing it. Nothing wrong with that, seeing if you can pick up a bargain - but fans were expecting new players, not a chancing of the hand. And if we really are sore that we missed out on Gayle and were gazumped for other targets, then frankly I think we have only ourselves to blame.

6 defenders for 4 spots frankly is too thin, when you consider we have 5 strikers for one position, and only one option for the Wes role. There are gaps in the squad, and from the outside it looks like the club have simply pissed about all summer then panicked on the last day. I can understand why so many people are unhappy. We look like we have shown a lack of conviction to get deals over the line, meaning the club dont really think there are any squad gaps, or they do but the strategy has been poor. Either answer can draw criticism.

McNally and Neil could dispell a lot of myths if they had an open discussion with fans or a press conference. With fans in the dark, people will always draw their own conculsions and by staying silent Im not sure they're really doing themselves any favours
 
the jarrold

the jarrold

Member
I suspect the board may be disappointed that they were unable to attract some of their targets. Whether they think they've done poorly, I rather doubt it. We have signed some good players. There have been no press conferences this week because of the break but I'm sure the manager at least will be questioned as to how he felt the transfer dealings went soon enough.
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
Can I just add that I think Elliot Bennett would make a superb right back.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I just see Wiz as another poster and had this question been asked by anyone else am sure it would have received a more reasonable response as oppoed to this wiz is a troll stuff.

Its a fair question, but I cant recall the club coming out with any special statements when similar things have happened, why would they? They know that it will be a topic at the next scheduled press conference and will, I'm sure, give a fair response then along the lines of what Morty has said.

Am I the onky one who thinks there has been a huge over reaction this week?  I ask that even though i posted a knee jerk post myself to the BJ transfer.
I don't think there has been an over reaction. This week  has been a vacuum which is a kind of Joe Moore and her good day to bury bad news. I would imagine if there had been press conferences, then AN would have been grilled about what was fact and what was rumour during the last few days of the window.

Like it or not, football has become a 24/7, big brother, industry spawning SSN, agents, bloggers, NorwichTalk etc. Louis Van Gaal has already started to crumble under the media microscope and he ought to be used to it.

So lets remember we are hooked on this game where emotions are never far from the surface and remember, our club is a real roller coaster ride and if rips lets off a bit of rhetoric then I don't think they are to be condemned.

Personally, I don't have a clue whether our window was good, bad or indifferent. Its up to the lads at NR1 1JE to make sure it was the former.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
K

Killiecanary

New Member
Can I just add that I think Elliot Bennett would make a superb right back.
I agree with you Wiz.  Personally I believe that is why AN hasn't sent him out on loan again.  

Then em again maybe no one wanted him on loan!!

we really know nowt do we?
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Didn't Wolves and Charlton both express interest in EB?
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Loads of people seem to have pegged Elliott Bennett as a potentially decent right back but honestly I'm not seeing it. I get that he works quite hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in but that's about it. He's not really a physical player, he seems to have lost his pace since the injury and it might just be that he's rarely been fit when I've seen him but he doesn't seem to have the touch he once had. Very average footballer that I'm pretty actually surprised we've kept around. I guess he isn't the type to make a fuss about being on the bench or not in the squad every week.

Is it another case of the Ricky van Wolfswinkel effect? He's seemingly a really nice guy so people are desperate for him to succeed?  

If worst came to worst I'd rather we played Reece Hall-Johnson or Mich Efete. Have seen both of them give very good performances at right back for the development squad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top