By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

What Film Did You Just Finish Watching?

morty

morty

Staff member
Rocketman 7/10

Entertaining enough, but I was expecting more of a biopic and it to be a bit more "warts and all" but instead got a slightly sanitised, stylised view, edited by Elton's husband, that just ended up a bit bland. Also more of a musical than a biopic, and I'm not a fan of people just bursting into song in films. Perfectly watchable, but could have been so much better.

Shaft 7.5/10

Bit daft, but quite entertaining. I'm a massive Samuel L fan, and his brief from the director in this one must have been "Just be yourself, and say motherf**ker a lot". Definitely doesn't have the cred of the original, and it is a wee bit predictable, but I enjoyed it.

morty

morty

Staff member
Few TV shows I have been binge watching!

Manifest. 7/10

Airplane takes off, flies through electrical storm. When it lands it turns out it has been missing for 5 years, and everyone presumed dead. So folk have to come to terms with what the hell has happened, and how people have moved on without them, plus a few other twists.
Quite good, and definitely set up for the second season.

Brassic 8.5/10

Just hilarious. A gang of scally lads in a quiet Lancashire town get up to all sorts of crime and daftness. Has Michelle Keegan in it, which was nice.

Love, death and robots. Not rated yet

Watched a few of these, only 20 minutes long, animated, but definitely not for kids. Quirky and interesting, and Emmy award winning.

Reactions: Din
Din

Din

In the last few weeks:

It: Chapter 2 - Pretty poor follow up to the first film for me. Nearly 3 hours long and absolutely no need for it to be, as the whole 2nd act of the film was massively repetitive, and the final hour or so was a bit nonsensical. Don't really think they used Pennywise right either. Reducing him mainly to being used for jump scares rather than genuinely creepy moments like the drain scene in the first film. 4/10

Ad Astra - Was very pleasantly surprised by how good this was. Set in a future where humans have colonised practically the whole solar system there was some really cool and interesting ideas, and just in general a nice story. Ending did let it down a bit though really. Everything before it felt quite clean cut and well thought out, but the ending seemed very rushed and a bit daft. Would definitely recommend this film overall though. 7.5/10

Joker - Had high expectations for this and I would definitely say it matched them. An absolutely fascinating story about this mentally ill guy Arthur slowly becoming more and more criminally insane, and think I can say this isn't a spoiler, eventually becoming the Joker. Incredible writing to create such an intriguing character, and his descent into madness is just fascinating to watch. Joaquin Pheonix is f*cking amazing. Not even exaggerating to say he put in a performance to rival Ledger in the Dark Knight. Surely nailed on for that Oscar. 8.5/10

morty

morty

Staff member
Carnival row.

A lot more enjoyable than I expected, don't let the premise of fairies etc put you off, it ends up being a good story with some interesting reflections / parallels on prejudices in our own society.

dj161

dj161

El Camino on Netflix

for those of you that loved breaking bad, you'll love this, not so much a movie and more of a two hour breaking bad episode, it picks up where the series finished off and has that same style and feel to it throughout, a great conclusion to a great show

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’ve started to watch Peaky Blinders, now on season 2 and really enjoying it

morty

morty

Staff member
El Camino on Netflix

for those of you that loved breaking bad, you'll love this, not so much a movie and more of a two hour breaking bad episode, it picks up where the series finished off and has that same style and feel to it throughout, a great conclusion to a great show
Seen some mixed reports on this, but will watch it, regardless, when I get home.

morty

morty

Staff member
I’ve started to watch Peaky Blinders, now on season 2 and really enjoying it
We have battened down the hatches as a tropical depression heading in here, so skulking in my workshop and watching Season 5, episode 3 as we speak! Brilliant show! (I hope my boss doesn't read this forum)