By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

What Film Did You Just Finish Watching?

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Stayed up late last night and watched three movies I've seen a million times...

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Slapshot - I usually catch this one about once a month.  With my foot in the hockey world I know just about all there is about this movie to know.

Pink Floyd's The Wall

Leedscanary

Leedscanary

Watched "Edge of Tomorrow" last night. Tom Cruise's version of Groundhog Day. Very good.

Din

Din

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed this. It was a little bit samey by the end, but it started very strongly, and although it comes across as quite predictable in certain scenes it really isn't. Much like the first film it was pretty much dominated by Caesar, however it was still a good watch, and the ending would suggest that there will be a 3rd film soon.

Din

Din

The Wolf of Wall Street - 8.5/10

F*cking loved it. All I can say really. Brilliant film.

Din

Din

World War Z - 6/10

It was ok, but nothing more. Got off to a very quick start, however it made me feel as if I'd missed half of it, as there were so many questions at the start that aren't answered by the end. Ended very suddenly as well. Pitt is very good but the movie overall was a bit of a let down.

Gran Torino - 8.5/10

What a bloody film this was. Eastwood is brilliant, and the ending was superb.

splutcho

splutcho

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Thought it was very good. Matthew Mcconaughey and Jared Leto thoroughly deserve those Oscars. Now there's a sentence I thought I'd never write.

Din

Din

Haven't visited this thread for a while, so got a few films to put in:

Non-Stop - 7/10

With the exception of the overly cheesy and hilarious Taken films, I actually quite like Liam Neeson. This was an excellent film as well. Basically Liam Neeson's character is an air marshall on a plane flying from New York to London, when he starts getting text messages saying that in 20 minutes someone on the plane will be killed. The killer is true to his word and gradually the threats get worse and worse and he's got to try and find the killer amongst 150 passengers. As I said, really good watch, and what I like as well is with the exception of the first 10 minutes or so, the whole thing is completely set on the plane, no other setting at all.

Play Misty For Me - 3/10

Just a more boring, predictable version of Fatal Attraction. It also could've been about half an hour shorter if they'd cut out some quite frankly ridiculous sex scenes, and the dozens of completely unnessecary establishing shots. It was an alright watch, but excrutiatingly boring in some places.

I also don't know how the makers of Fatal Attraction weren't sued tbh. FA came out about 15 years after Play Misty For Me, and they are basically the same film. The events if each film are exactly the same, and happen in exactly the same order.

Gone Girl - 8/10

Different to what I expected, but still a very good film. Pike and Affleck are both excellent.

Gravity - 8.5/10

What a bloody film that was. Visually it was brilliant and it was exciting from beginning to end. Only thing that annoyed me a little bit was that the dialogue at times was very clichéd, particularly with Bullock's character. On the whole though it was excellent.

Dark Water - 7/10

This was quite good tbf. A woman (played by Jennifer Connolly) and her daughter move into a horrible little flat where there's a leak coming from the roof of her daughter's bedroom. Her daughter then starts talking about an imaginary friend called Natasha, then some dark stuff starts happening. As I said it was quite good.

Nightcrawler - 9/10

Absolutely loved this. Expected it to be quite good but it was much better than I thought it would be. Gyllenhaal was fantastic.

Inception - 8/10

Every film I've watched recently has been bloody brilliant. This was no exception (or should I say 'Inception', muhahahehuhehuhe). A little bit complicated in some places at the time, but it all makes sense by the end. Tom Hardy is fast travelling up my list of favourite actors as well.

Birdman - 8.5/10

What an absolute masterpiece that was. Not what I expected but absolutely brilliant. I love the fact that it is made to look like the whole thing was filmed in one shot, and some of the acting is fantastic. The plot of the film isn't something I would usually go for but I really enjoyed it regardless.

Watched Dallas Buyers Club last night. Thought it was very good. Matthew Mcconaughey and Jared Leto thoroughly deserve those Oscars. Now there's a sentence I thought I'd never write.
I don't think a lot of people realise how good an actor Leto is. He is actually a superb actor but because he tends to be in films that aren't exactly mainstream he often gets overlooked. I'm a big McConaughey fan though always have been.

I really liked Dallas Buyers Club, think it's an excellent film.

ZLF

ZLF

Agree with the Dallas Buyers club comments powerful,  tender and shocking in equal degrees -  a 9/10 for me.

Saw Kingsman this evening - a jolly humerous romp with genuine laugh out loud moments.   7/10 and worth seeing

Lone Star Canary

Lone Star Canary

Saw 50 Shades of Grey with the wife Saturday night.  Not as good as I had hoped, but not as bad as I had feared... and I'll just leave it at that.

Yesterday afternoon went back and watched The Lion in Winter for probably the 20th time.  It's amazing what good talent can do with great writing.

Din

Din

Films I've watched since my last post in here on February 14th:

Lawless - 6/10

Decent enough watch. You can't understand what Tom Hardy's is saying though some of the time which is a bit annoying, doesn't effect things too much though fortunately. Hardy is brilliant though, and LaBeouf is good too. Relatively forgettable but as I said it's a decent watch.

Shutter Island - 7.5/10

Great film. Very reliant on Di Caprio but a nevertheless a great watch. The ending was brilliant, genuinly did not expect it.

American Hustle - 8.5/10

Absolutely loved this. Christian Bale is one my favourite actors and he was superb in this. Adams and Cooper also brilliant.

300: Rise of an Empire - 4/10

It was a decent watch I guess, but overall it wasn't a great film. I really like 300, but this film was far more boring in every way. The dialogue is pretty bad, the fight scenes are no-where near as good, and the ending in my view is dreadful. It just ends very suddenly. Sullivan Stapleton who plays the main character was too weak as well to play Themistocles, who's meant to be strong and powerful but he just wasn't. Eva Green is good in her role but that's about it.

Drive - 6/10

This was decent, nothing more though. Don't get me wrong, it has a beautiful look to it, and the cinematography is stunning. And one thing I loved is that we never find out the main character's name (who is played by Ryan Gosling). He is only ever referred to as 'kid' by most characters, and 'the driver' as all the others. I really like that. Gosling is also very good, even if his character is really quite annoying. For a start his character only says about 15 words in the entire film, and yet somehow this girl played by Carey Mulligan falls madly in love with him, despite the fact he never actually speaks he just stares at her. There is no real plot, and quite frankly nothing of interest happens in the first half of the film. It was definitely watch-able, but I wouldn't really want to watch it again now that I've seen it.

It quite frankly amazes me that this seems to be so highly rated elsewhere. 7.8 on IMDB, 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 3.5/4 on Roger Ebert. It was alright but certainly not that good.

Whiplash - 9/10

Storyline isn't something I'd usually go for but I'm so glad I did. Incredibly intense Simmons and Teller are both incredible. They kept my attention all the way through and I genuinly felt exhausted by the end. Loved it.

American Sniper - 8/10

Really enjoyed this, although one thing I would say is that I think it went on for slightly too long. It seemed a little dragged in some places. As I said though I really liked it. Cooper's excellent and is really the only significant character in it. 

Also, didn't realise how attractive Sienna Miller is. She's gorgeous  :wub:

The Drop - 7.5/10

Great watch. Hardy is excellent though, as is Gandolfini. One thing I would say though is that it is pretty predictable.

Out of the Furnace - 8/10

Really good watch. Nothing particularly surprising but a good solid film. Bale is brilliant (as usual). Really surprised how low rated this seems to be elsewhere.

Enemy - 5/10

I get the impression that this is the type of film that people will either love and think it's brilliant, or they will turn it off at the end and be like "What the f*ck just happened?". Have to say I'm in the latter.

Firstly, I love the feel of it. The atmosphere it creates is brilliant, and really sort of eerie. But this wasn't sort of thing at all really. Just so many unanswered questions and so many things that happened that are really strange and there's no explanation of it at all, and the final shot is quite frankly absolutely f*cking weird. Gyllenhaal though as usual is great, in both his roles, but this is a film I won't be watching again I don't think.

The Prestige - 9/10

Bloody brilliant. Knew there was gonna be a twist at the end but did not suspect that. Classic Christopher Nolan film really, it reminded me so much of Inception. Bale and Jackman both excellent.

Admittedly I did spend far too much time looking at Scarlett Johansson, but how can you not?

Memento - 8/10

Ok well this f*cked with my head. Fantastic film though. Love the fact it's all in reverse but despite that it's still not hard at all to follow. 

Predestination - 8.5/10

I feel absolutely abused after watching that. An absolute mindf*ck of the highest order. It has literally messed with my brain more than any other film that I've ever watched tbh. Absolutely loved the ending and admittedly did not see it coming. I did think certain parts were slightly predictable, but on the whole my brain well and truly destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GJP

The Imitation Game - quite good. Well acted but doesn't go anywhere you wouldn't expect it to (even if it is based on a true story).

the jarrold

the jarrold

The Imitation Game.

Very moving. How this country treated homosexuals back then is almost beyond belief nowadays. The search for the code very well done, tense drama. Cumberbatch surely deserved an Oscar.

Din

Din

Since my last post in here I've watched:

The Fighter - 7.5/10

Really enjoyed this. I'm not usually a fan of Wahlberg, and yet I quite liked him in this. Despite the fact though that he plays the main character, this film is almost completely about Christian Bale. Thought he was excellent as usual and loved his character. Good watch this and you don't really need to know anything about Boxing to understand it.

A Walk Among The Tombstones - 5.5/10

Meh, it was ok I guess. Not much else to say really, just a typical Neeson film. Wasn't one of his best though.

Locke - 8/10

When I first saw the trailer for this, my initial reaction was "surely it can't be completely set in a car whilst Tom Hardy just drives somewhere". But it was, but whilst it sounds boring it most certainly wasn't. It was absolutely brilliant, and in the end I was disappointed it didn't go on for a little bit longer. Hardy was brilliant, and kept my attention all the way through. I loved the 'conversations' he had with his dad, and the film itself was absolutely gorgeous to look at. Really enjoyed it.

Lone Survivor - 8/10

Really good film, really enjoyed it. Based on a book by the same name so can't really argue. Thought the acting was very good, and Wahlburg is starting to win me round after seeing him in this and The Fighter. Think it's definitely one of my favourite war-based films. I loved it's general look as well.

Godzilla (2014) - 6.5/10

Decent, but nothing more tbh. Love a monster film but this one wasn't my favourite. Had a complete lack of empathy with the lead character, and tbh it was quite predictable. It wasn't bad at all though.

Edge of Tomorrow - 7/10

Enjoyable film. I liked Cruise in this, and Blunt was also good. Wouldn't say this was spectacular by any means, but as I said it was a good watch, but tbh I was a little disappointed with the ending.

Black Sea - 8.5/10

Loved it. Very intense and it kept my attention all the way through. The acting was very good, and I loved the way it looked. Jude Law's character also reminded me a ridiculous amount of the Norwich boss Alex Neil. I also wanted to kick the *bleep* out of Scoot McNairy's character. But anyway that's just me. Really good film.

The Theory of Everything - 7.5/10

Not what I expected actually. Thought it would be a sort of Romantic Drama film, mainly focusing on the relationship between Redmayne and Jones, which isn't the sort of thing I'm into at all, but thought I would check it out simply because of how popular it seemingly is. But as I said it wasn't what I expected at all. Obviously the relationship between Redmayne and Jones is a big part of it, but it wasn't some romanticised love story that I thought it might be. Really interesting and was pretty gripped all the way through. I don't doubt at all now that Redmayne deserved his Oscar. Truly incredible performance from him, with Jones being superb as well. Really opened my eyes to Stephen Hawking's condition as well, and how awful it must've been for him. This still wasn't really my favourite sort of film, but was still a good watch.

The Imitation Game - 8/10

Really enthralling and it was so interesting as well learning about the way that homosexuals used to be treated in this country, as well as about the enigma machine as well obviously. Didn't drag at all, loved the change that Turing goes through as it goes on, and the ending was fantastic. Cumberbatch is fantastic, can't think of anyone better suited for that role really, and Knightly is also very good. Really enjoyed it.

The Purge - 4/10

Quite frankly the characters in this are the most stupid, illogical, frustrating characters I have ever encountered in any film I think. Some of the decisions they made were absolutely ridiculous. The film itself is also pretty predictable and a tad boring in places as well. The second film though apparently is much better so I might give that a watch anyway.

Fury - 8/10

The first hour wasn't bad as such just nothing much really happened. But it all came to life after that, and in the end I really liked this. Certainly one of the better war films that I've seen. Loved every second of that final fight seen and in the end I wanted it to go on for a bit longer. Didn't think it was Pitt's best performance though, he was good but nothing really fantastic about him, and tbh I considered putting the subtitles on at one point because I couldn't understand half of what Shia LaBeouf was saying, but in the end that didn't matter too much. But yeah this was very enjoyable.

Cloverfield - 7/10

Never seen this all the way through before, only ever seen bits of it. It was incredibly boring to start with, but once it got going it really got going. Love monster films and this one was a very good one, loved the style of it as well. They're also considering making a 2nd one apparently.

Flight - 7.5/10

Basically Denzel Washington plays a pilot who is a heavy drinker and drug user. He's flying routinely one day when suddenly the plane malfunctions and is sent hurtling towards the ground, yet by some miracle he still manages to land the plane with just 6 casualties and is seen as a hero. However despite this the truth is then revealed about his heavy drink/drug use, and if it comes out that he was drunk when the plane crashed then he could get done for manslaughter. It was quite good, even if a little bit repetitive at times, and tbh it goes on for a little too long. Enjoyable though.

The Equalizer - 8/10

Much better than I expected. Loved that final fight scene when they're in the warehouse, and loved Denzel's character as well. He reminded me a lot of Gus from Breaking Bad. Really entertaining, and I thought the soundtrack was f*cking awesome.

Public Enemies - 6/10

Expected a bit better tbh. It's pretty boring in parts, also quite confusing as well in certain places. It was decent and although I said it was boring in parts it certainly wasn't all the way through, but I don't think I'll be watching it again. Only really good thing for me was the performance of Depp, who I thought was fantastic.

Lucy - 6/10

Really f*cking weird in places, which says a lot considering the plot is already pretty ridiculous. Scarlett Johansson's ( :wub:   ) very good in it, but that's about it really. Won't be watching it again tbh. It wasn't exactly bad but it was hardly brilliant either.

John Wick - 7/10

It was a good action film, but nothing particularly special or out of the ordinary about it, and it was pretty predictable as well. Reeves is very good in it though and it was pretty enjoyable.

The Departed - 8.5/10

Loved it. Long old film but it certainly kept my attention all the way through. Love the fact that the 2 main characters don't even meet despite all that's going on until the end of the film, and thought it was very well acted as well, particularly by DiCaprio. Didn't see that ending coming either. Great film, doesn't surprise me how highly rated it is.

G

GJP

Din, it might not be worth it now but if you liked The Departed you should check out Infernal Affairs - The Departed is the Hollywood remake of it.

Din

Din

Since my last post in here on April 2nd I've watched:

The Maze Runner - 7/10

Much better than I thought it would be, actually enjoyed it quite a lot. Some of the acting wasn't the greatest, the main character had literally no personality at all, and some parts were slightly predictable, but on the whole I thought it was pretty good.

Interstellar - 9/10

Absolutely loved it. Thought the visual effects were incredible, I loved the story itself despite it's abstractness and McConaughey in particular is brilliant (even if he is unnaturally orange). The one thing I would say I didn't like is the fact that Michael Caine is in it. It's not that he does anything wrong, it just felt like he was there because he had to be there, whereas I think in previous Nolan films (TDK trilogy, The Prestige) I've actually liked him in it. Wtf Matt Damon was doing there as well I don't know, but I didn't think he was out of place. But no, I loved it.

Transcendence - 6.5/10

It was alright. All a bit strange but it was still entertaining. Not Depp's best performance, but he was still good. Decent but I probably won't watch it again.

Foxcatcher - 7.5/10

Entertaining enough, and the three lead actors are very good, Carrell in particular. However I was always waiting for it to really get going. It felt like the whole film was building towards something but then it started to die down, then some crazy *bleep* goes on in the last 5 minutes and then it just suddenly ends. I did enjoy it, but thought it could've been so much better.

13 Sins - 6/10

A little predictable and the plot doesn't really develop or change at all throughout the film, but didn't have particularly high expectations and it matched them. It wasn't bad at all but I won't be watching it again.

Before I Go To Sleep - 5.5/10

Relatively predictable (although that said I didn't see the ending coming),Nicole Kidman's character was pretty annoying, Colin Firth didn't look particularly interested, and the plot itself is just a massive rip-off of Memento, just not as good. It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't great either.

Inglourious Basterds - 8/10

Pretty much what I expected. It was a good watch this. Very similar to Django Unchained (obviously both are directed by Tarantino),pretty violent and very gory as well. Pitt is good and Waltz is excellent, and all-round this was entertaining, and quite funny in places as well. My only criticism would be that there's no real 'big' moment in the film if you know what I mean.

2 Guns - 6.5/10

With the exception of the last 15 minutes or so it was relatively average. Entertaining enough though, and I'm warming to Mark Wahlburg now after not liking him a few months ago. It was nothing special but a good watch.

Unbroken - 8/10

Thought this was excellent. Admittedly it's quite safe, and is typical really of a film that's supposed to be inspiring. But at the same time it's a biography so you can't go changing things to make it less safe. Thought it was great though, and I hadn't actually heard of Jack O'Connell before, but I thought he was fantastic. Really liked it.

Nebraska - 7.5/10

Can see why the academy liked this. The acting is superb and I loved the black and white. I really liked it but ultimately not an awful lot really happened in the film, it was more about the characters and their development rather than the plot. It did have me gripped though, and I did enjoy it.

Rush - 8/10

Not a fan of F1 at all, and had never even heard of the 2 main characters before I watched the film, but I really enjoyed this. Great story and the 2 lead actors Hemsworth and Bruhl are both very good.

The Babadook - 7/10

Quite abstract but at the same time enjoyable. A more intelligent horror film if you can get what I mean. Wasn't any moments that would make you jump, but the atmosphere was really eerie and uncomfortable, but I really liked that about it. The kid who played the part of the young boy was actually a very good actor as well, even though he's only like 7 years old.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - 8.5/10

The fight scenes, particularly the one in the church, were incredible I thought. It was ridiculous really as a plot and the film, however it was clearly intended to be a bit ridiculous and unrealistic. Never even heard of Taron Egerton before but I thought he was very good. Not really sure why Mark Strong had a Scottish accent, or why Samuel L. Jackson had a lisp, but I actually thought Jackson's character worked quite well with a lisp for some reason. But no, this was very good.

Insidious: Chapter 2 - 6.5/10

A good sequel really, took a while to get going I thought but overall it was decent. Not as good as the first one though.

Focus - 6/10

Got better as it went on but on the whole it was pretty boring. Will Smith didn't look interested tbh, and it was also pretty predictable. Thought Margot Robbie was good though, but that was one of the only good things about it. It wasn't exactly bad but as I said it was quite boring, particularly the first hour.

G

GJP

Went to the cinema for Age Of Ultron. It was good enough but lacked something compared to Avengers Assemble. 

I also watched Boyhood on blu-ray. Quite a neat concept - shooting it in instalments over the course of 10 or 11 years. Felt some of it was slightly clichéd but probably one of the best films I've seen in recent months.

morty

morty

Staff member
Keep up the good work Din, I really enjoy reading your reviews!