Where will you finish?

G

Gabriel

New Member
Norwich fans,

Done an interview with one of your fans, Daniel Emery - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2016/norwich-city-season-preview-slow-recruitment/

Would be interested to know where you think you'll finish this season. Personally, I think 8th. I rate Timm Klose and Wes Hoolahan, but I worry that the recruitment has been quite slow, as it was last summer. You seem to have an aging squad so a lot depends on how quickly the likes of Maddison and the two Murphys can step up. Would be interested to get your views.

Good luck for the season.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
If we sort our striking problem out (we only have 1 first team striker) we'll probably walk the league.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Ideally I'd like to see us sign another central defender with 2 of Martin/Bassong/Turner being shown the door but it's not likely. Those 3 are decent enough cover for Klose and Bennett in this division. I don't think he will but if Klose leaves we need to replace him.

Martin Olsson leaving would be a concern as the only other natural left back we have is an untested youngster. Right back is sorted with Pinto and Whitts though.

As far as defensive midfielders go you won't get many better than Tettey and Mulumbu in the Championship.
 
G

Gabriel

New Member
I like Tettey, not been too convinced by Mulumbu in the last few seasons. Would you say the general organization needs to improve? Saw certain games last season where you were defending a lead with a ridiculously high line.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Like KeiranShikari, if we replace the goals we've lost since we last won promotion then I'd expect us to win promotion again.Not so sure about "walking" the league though, Newcastle have to be the clear favourites there with the talent they have at their disposal and the manager that they have.  

If we don't invest in quality strikers then we are stuck in this league for a long time.

The defence and midfield needs a lot of work should we go back up, but is perfectly capable in this division as long as the goals come.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I like Tettey, not been too convinced by Mulumbu in the last few seasons. Would you say the general organization needs to improve? Saw certain games last season where you were defending a lead with a ridiculously high line.
Centre midfield is probably the one area of the pitch where we've got too many players, if anything. 

Howson, Tettey, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Andreu, Odjidja-Ofoe, Maddison (a huge talent). 

Jury is out on Mulumbu, didn't really get a chance last year. 

But if you are looking for a glaring big weakness in our squad at this level, the area which is devoid of sufficient quality, then look at the striking area. 

I'd be perfectly happy if we signed nothing other than two good strikers this summer now, assuming that we don't lose any of our better players elsewhere on the pitch, with other areas the priority should we go back up in the summer.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Currently a bit depressing that two of the better strikers in this league are Norwich rejects, Gary Hooper and Chris Martin, not that they are world beaters but they score goals in this division. 

Although I'd soon get over that if we signed Ross McCormack, who I think is basically the perfect striker for our system and the way that Alex Neil tries to get us to play.

It would be an amazing day if we could wake up in the morning and see that we'd signed Mbokani on a freebie, but unlikely unless he's a lot less motivated by money than the typical footballer considering the wages he is alleged to be on at Kyiv. He'd take the p*ss in this league. 
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
Christ, wish you would have found a better Norwich fan than that douche.

Also, I think we'll finish 7th.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I think "walking it" was TIC.

As much as we complained about our defending last season, and at times it was dreadful (Liverpool for one), in the main it was the lack of finishing that hurt us the most. I don't believe there are too many decent central defenders around. just like leg spinners, so I believe there is nothing to be gained in worrying about a problem that can't be solved. Of course ultimately poor defending in losing to Villa and Sunderland put us down.

We drew or lost games last season because of poor, and at times, unlucky finishing. The Jerome goal in the opening game for instance. And remember us hammering Stoke and although Butland performed heroics, we should have won. I suppose other teams could argue the same but that doesn't detract from our poor finishing.

I don't think the manager's indecision and tinkering helped the strikers much and they did not have much support from tactics that were designed, after the silly Newcastle game, to put a wall in front of the defence.

I prefer 4-4-2, using a diamond at times, and would like see us attract a striker who will just have to get 20 goals next season. I believe that would help relax the rest of the team and we will be able to play pacy, powerful possession football which really ought to get you promoted from this league.

Many Burnley supporters are delighted at their promotion but admit their football changed last season and wasn't particularly good to watch. I don't think with our, admittedly aging squad, that we will have any worries about entertainment if we choose the right tactics.
 
G

Gabriel

New Member
A lot of you have said a striker or possibly 2 is a top priority. Are you annoyed that it's 2 weeks until the season and the club haven't signed one yet? If I recall slow transfer business was a problem last season.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I prefer 4-4-2, using a diamond at times, and would like see us attract a striker who will just have to get 20 goals next season. I believe that would help relax the rest of the team and we will be able to play pacy, powerful possession football which really ought to get you promoted from this league.
We already have that striker, we've just never played the system to facilitate him.

Stick RvW upfront with either Wes/Naismith/Maddison behind him, focus on clever, quick through balls, 1-2's and with decent crosses that actually go to where the striker wants it (instead of about 4 feet behind him as happened previously) and he could easily hit bucketfuls for us given that decent supply.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
A lot of you have said a striker or possibly 2 is a top priority. Are you annoyed that it's 2 weeks until the season and the club haven't signed one yet? If I recall slow transfer business was a problem last season.
Not really all that concerned, I'll be concerned when we run out of decent options in the market having lost out to other clubs.

E.g. Right now I couldn't give a damn that Newcastle managed to land Dwight Gayle, but if McCormack and Kodjia go elsewhere and we end up with somebody inferior to Dwight Gayle, then I'd suddenly become angry. 

The speed of doing business becomes pretty irrelevant should we land McCormack on the 31st August. I'd much rather him than Dwight Gayle in that scenario. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
but I worry that the recruitment has been quite slow, as it was last summer.
Are you factoring in the circa-£20m we spent in January, which neither of the other relegated teams invested? 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gabriel

New Member
Are you factoring in the circa-£20m we spent in January, which neither of the other relegated teams invested? 
Fair point, but over the last few years you could argue the club has got the recruitment wrong. Apart from Timm Klose, maybe Cameron Jerome in the promotion season, I can't see many recent signings that have been much of a success.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Success is measured in different ways of course. Retaining membership of the Prem, even in 17th, was success to many supporters. I would argue that 17th is good if the football supplied is worth watching. And despite our love for all things NCFC, we wouldn't have watched the football served up by us on too many occasions last season if it was WBA v Palace on SKY.

Opinion is always divided on successful players so my opinion is not worth considering as someone else would disagree and they may well be justified, as you can judge from Indy Bones comment.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Fair point, but over the last few years you could argue the club has got the recruitment wrong. Apart from Timm Klose, maybe Cameron Jerome in the promotion season, I can't see many recent signings that have been much of a success.
I don't disagree that we've not done too well in the transfer market over the past few years.... but how can you not include Robbie Brady at £7m? Allegedly being chased by Leicester and Southampton. 

My concern about our transfer dealings (and I've said that on here before) is that we've clearly got an ageing squad, with loads of 29/30 year olds, and we should have been looking towards 23/24/25 year olds to replace them for the next five years, but instead we've been adding more 29 year olds and been too short termist.

But its only fair that I point out that in Hoolahan's first season here he didn't pull up any trees and got a relegation on his CV, he wasn't an instant success, and for that reason I'm not going to write off the likes of Naismith after half a season.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gabriel

New Member
I don't disagree that we've not done too well in the transfer market over the past few years.... but how can you not include Robbie Brady at £7m? Allegedly being chased by Leicester and Southampton. 

My concern about our transfer dealings (and I've said that on here before) is that we've clearly got an ageing squad, with loads of 29/30 year olds, and we should have been looking towards 23/24/25 year olds to replace them for the next five years, but instead we've been adding more 29 year olds and been too short termist.

But its only fair that I point out that in Hoolahan's first season here he didn't pull up any trees and got a relegation on his CV, he wasn't an instant success, and for that reason I'm not going to write off the likes of Naismith after half a season.
I think Brady puts a decent cross in but not sure about him defensively. Norwich need to sign more players like Sergi Canos - young, committed and quick. Agree Naismith could come good in the Championship
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I think Brady puts a decent cross in but not sure about him defensively. Norwich need to sign more players like Sergi Canos - young, committed and quick. Agree Naismith could come good in the Championship
He only played left back for us last season because Olsson was injured, we very much see him as a left winger.

Would you swap the current Norwich squad, as things stand, for the current Villa squad? Your answer to that question could potentially tell us all that we need to know, because I definitely would not. 

Its not just Canos who is young, hungry and talented. Josh Murphy returns to the fold having won the Player of the Season for a Championship side, Jacob Murphy tore up League 1 last season, and James Maddison looks like a huge talent.

I've said it already, but the only area of the pitch were we are lacking the required quality for a promotion push in this league is the striking department, we need a couple of goalscorers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top