Would you play Grabban against Bournemouth?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
It is best for all concerned that we try and repair things with him, he is our most mobile striker and does offer something different (without having seen the latest recruit), he isn't a very clinical finisher but he carries the ball up the pitch better than any of our other strikers and can really stretch a defence. We missed him against Southampton, as soon as went down to 10 minute we'd have benefited from having Grabban over Jerome purely because he moves more. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
That would certainly be more professional.

I see the rumours about Hooper going on loan have started again, we know he was close to going before the window closed. If he's out then Grabban is definitely expected to still play a part here.
Or the Hooper loan could have fallen through because of the Grabban situation, and Grabban will be going out on loan instead? 
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
To the Championship we can, when the loan window opens. 
I think considering his wages, and considering we turned down a bid of 7 million for him, it would seem a bit unlikely that he would want a loan to a Championship club. Unless, of course we already put a deal in place to sell him to Bournemouth in January, and its just so he can keep sharp till then.

I don't think it benefits either party to punt him out to a Champs club.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Or the Hooper loan could have fallen through because of the Grabban situation, and Grabban will be going out on loan instead? 
I doubt we'd turn down 7m for him only to loan him out instead
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Yeah, I think Grabban stayed because another incoming striker fell through. Possibly Gayle.

If any of our forwards leave on loan deals before January I can only see it being Lafferty.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Jamar Loza to announce his arrival on the world stage with some wonder goals, ends the season being linked with Man City? 

You never know! 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
I'd rather give Loza the gametime at the minute than Grabban, regardless of whether or not he's actually the poorer player because I can't stand the way Grabban has behaved, and whilst there may well have been reasons behind it, I can't accept a player deliberately walking out on their team shortly before kick-off and stomping off home in a sulk.

It's the epitome of unprofessionalism, he's shown complete disrepect to the manager, his teammates and all NCFC fans in the process, and until there's a genuine heartfelt apology for his behaviour, he can go f**k himself IMHO, and even then he'd need to work twice as hard to justify a recall, and I'd rather we'd have simply sold the guy for the rumoured 7mil, irrespective of whether or not we had a replacement lined up...
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
grabban v bournemouth may not be a good idea but we are only really talking about 3rd choice striker after mbokani and jerome.   I think that in the long run grabban will continue ahead of hooper,  even if hoops is on the bench on sat.

As far as who goes out on loan I can see both hooper and lafferty leaving;  lafferty was bottom of the pile last season and its clear we dont want hooper given we have been offering him out all summer.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I wouldn't play him against Bournemouth, but if his head is right and he's working hard in training then I don't see why he can't be in the squad for the week after against Liverpool.

That said, with Jerome up front, we've then got Mbokani, Hooper and Grabban all competing for 2 places on the bench. I don't think Mbokani would've been bought in to sit in the reserves either, so that leaves Hooper and Grabban fighting for one spot, and I don't think either would be very pleased about being left out.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
We seem to be basing our opinion on the spat somewhat and the rehabilitation of Grabban into the matchday squad. Maybe the manager does rate him highly. Personally, I don't think he is Prem quality and hope that Mbokani makes sure Grabban doesn't make the squad.
 
J

JimOTBC

New Member
I would start him.  I can image coming on as a sub would attract more attention than starting, and tbh I think his link up play with Hoolahan is better than Jerome's.

Lets get behind him and get him back firing for us, we may need him!
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
It's the epitome of unprofessionalism, he's shown complete disrepect to the manager, his teammates and all NCFC fans in the process, and until there's a genuine heartfelt apology for his behaviour, he can go f**k himself IMHO
All true, but football fans are fickle, a match winning goal and him celebrating passionately in front of the Barclay/Snakepit and all would be instantly forgotten. 

I was slagging Bassong off and saying that he should play for us again, then I saw the calibre of his replacements  :lol:
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
The more I think about this, the more of a conundrum it is.

Alex Neil and McNally don't take any $hit, so its a bit of a puzzle as to why we didn't take the fairly sizeable fee that was offered for Grabban. And I don't think we would have kept him if he had made it perfectly clear he no longer wants to play for Norwich City. Regardless of leaving us short, if he was totally hell bent on not wanting to be here, there would be no point in keeping him.

So from this I would have to assume that he has been forgiven for whatever it was that happened, and he wants to be here.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ZLF
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Looked pretty simple to me, we wanted his replacement (Gayle) before letting him sign, we didn't get his replacement so are stuck with Grabban. 

The Gayle move fell through because Palace didn't land an unnamed target, not because Grabban had decided to stay.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Looked pretty simple to me, we wanted his replacement (Gayle) before letting him sign, we didn't get his replacement so are stuck with Grabban. 

The Gayle move fell through because Palace didn't land an unnamed target, not because Grabban had decided to stay.
Yep, thats probably true. But if Grabban was so disenfranchised with Norwich City it would make no sense whatsoever keeping him to just make up the numbers.

Which leads me to believe that perhaps this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ZLF
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I can only agree morty;  if he was such a bad apple or his action deemed irreconcilable then we would have taken the money, sold him and moved forward with Hooper and Lafferty irrespective of whether we had a replacement or not.   We simply dont need 5 senior strikers so could have let him go (this conclusion also suggests that one of hooper and lafferty will be loaned,  and i guess our preference will be the higher earner)  

It suggests to me (and all supposition rather than fact)  that he will be reintroduced and remains ahead of hooper and lafferty longer term - although sat may prove to be a match too soon.   
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
As fans we just need to back the managers judgement on this. The moment that Grabban is named in the matchday squad we should consider the issue resolved. 

Until he is named in a matchday squad I'll assume that it isn't. 

He's made it hard for himself though hasn't he, was already a bit of a whipping boy / scapegoat at times, suspect his first couple of appearances will be away fixtures. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
The thing which has annoyed me a bit about Grabban is that he negotiated a £1m release clause with Bournemouth, then signed a new contract taking that clause to £3m. 

We activated his release clause and signed him for £3m. 

This time he has obviously not negotiated a release clause, but thought he could negate that by making a nuisance of himself and having a tantrum. 

Why on earth didn't he just negotiate a release clause, I doubt us fans would have been crying too much if he had a £6m release clause after helping us to promotion, with us doubling our money, and no parties having done anything wrong other than abide by their contractual terms. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top