By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Anyone been to any games abroad ?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Don’t suppose anyone has done Dortmund ? I don’t really want to go through a company and pay double the price, I’ve registered on the clubs website but I know it’s diffic to get tickets.
I’m also planning on doing Barca and Atletico Madrid, anyone got any advice ?

Beauseant

Beauseant

Have done the Bernabeu and a couple of German grounds.

morty

morty

Staff member
I considered Dortmund but the tourist packages seemed pretty pricey, and seemed to sell out pretty quickly. Do you know Nev Thownsend? Are you on twitter?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I considered Dortmund but the tourist packages seemed pretty pricey, and seemed to sell out pretty quickly. Do you know Nev Thownsend? Are you on twitter?
I don’t really want to pay tourist prices either. I’m on Twitter, I’ve never heard of Nev, who is he ?

morty

morty

Staff member
Just a guy I know, ex Navy, involved with the supporters group "Forces2Canaries", travels to a lot of football grounds, especially in Germany. Give him a follow and mention my name, he may have some advice for you.

https://twitter.com/nevtownsend

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Done a couple in Serie A when I travelled Italy.

Accidently sat in with the fucking ultras in one game, they were so bemused by my presence and my obvious status as some random foreign backpacker that I think they all found it funny. I did wonder why the ticket office asked me 3 times whether I wanted home end, apparently Italian stadiums all have 'neutral' sections.

Reactions: Din
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

ps. Tickets were cheap, got them on the day, could drink and smoke at your seat. Also had food vendors walk up and down the stairs.

Good experience although the actual football was pretty boring. Fiorentina vs Genoa was a bit like watching a Tony Pulis Stoke vs a Sam Allardyce Blackburn, and it made me realise how past its peak Italian football is... used to be really exciting when it was on Channel 4 in the 90's.

If its hard to get tickets for a big club then just go to watch a smaller one perhaps? I couldn't be bothered trying to jump through the hoops to get Inter tickets (they played when I was in Milan) so just gave my dosh to smaller clubs.

Morty... in Germany St Pauli is supposed to be an amazing experience, could see if that's any easier / cheaper than Dortmund?

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Fenway the two times I've been to the Nou Camp to have a look around they've had tickets available to purchase at the box office for the next fixture, but my timings have been wrong both times so I've not been able to catch an actual game.

I presume its just the huge games like vs Real Madrid which sell out? Looks like the average attendance is about 20k less than the capacity, so if you're happy to watch Barca vs Espanyol or Celta Vigo or something... I doubt you'll have any problems. Think they start pretty cheap too.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Thanks, a friend of mine has done Barca, she said they tend to put the tourists together in an upper tier. I think I can just order online and print at home.
I can start to plan a little more when the fixtures come out, I’m guessing fixtures in Europe are released at the same time as the prem.
Hadn’t thought of St Pauli, will look into it. I’m also waiting on our pre season match with the team from Berlin but it looks like it will be played at the training camp rather that at their ground which is a shame.

Din

Din

Friend of a friend goes to Uni in Barcelona, so has been there quite a few times for games. Actually managed to film Messi scoring an unreal free-kick as well a couple of months back.

Would love to go to an El Classico in the near future, particularly while Messi and Ronaldo are playing at their current level.

So yeah no real advice for you Frank but if you're doing El Classico let me know*

*(so I can book tickets in the opposite end to you) ;)

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Sounds like Cristiano Ronalod is leaving this summer Din?

With Bale wanting out as well its no wonder Zidane quit.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Friend of a friend goes to Uni in Barcelona, so has been there quite a few times for games. Actually managed to film Messi scoring an unreal free-kick as well a couple of months back.

Would love to go to an El Classico in the near future, particularly while Messi and Ronaldo are playing at their current level.

So yeah no real advice for you Frank but if you're doing El Classico let me know*

*(so I can book tickets in the opposite end to you) ;)

Is your surname Tilson ?
;)

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Just booked flights to Gerrmany and will be there for a week between the 23rd and 30th, flying in and out of Dusseldorf for my last bit of solo travel for probably years (expecting a baby in February).

So now looking at fixtures for FC Koln, Fortuna Dusseldorf, Leverkusen etc, to pick a game to go to!

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Even looked into public transport to Fortuna in Holland which isn't miles away, but that's not feasible and not renting a car for the week as I intend to hover just over the drink drive limit for the duration.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

You could probably book tickets in advance online. Ive got a long weekend at the end of October, we’re at home to Brentford but I may let that go and look for a match in Europe to go to instead, although we could be top of the table by then in which case I’ll stay here :)

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I have a habit of trying to do too much in too little time, so I'll probably try and catch FC Koln vs Ingolstadt on 25th September and make things easy for myself by keeping Cologne as my base. They are currently in Bundesliga 2.