Hmm...Have we got him?

Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Depends on the price for me Wiz, as although he has a good scoring record at this level, the figures of 12-15 mil being bandied around make me feel sick, especially bearing in mind that players of a similar ability level such as Rhodes and Ings (more potential IMHO) have gone for far less (9 mil Rhodes, 8 mil Ings), so WTF are we paying anywhere between 3-7 mil MORE for, and for a player who at 29 who probably has 3-4 years LESS in his tank than possible alternatives, I just don't see the value.

He's also on a long-term contract so Fulham can negotiate pretty firmly, and the fact that Newcastle will be flashing the money around makes things even worse.

Avoid IMHO unless we're getting him for 8-9 mil...
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Danny Ings went for less because he was out of contract and the fee was decided by a tribunal. 

I think McCormack is actually the perfect player for us, shame he isn't a year or two younger but he's pure class, best finisher in this league. 
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Yes to Ricky (very few goals)

No to McCormack (lots of goals)

I thought you were against the 'little  old norwich' attitude? :ph34r:

Transfer fees will be taking another bump this summer and you would expect a large part of this transfer fee would be after promotion (like Rhodes). Would be a brilliant signing.

Now this is a technical finisher.

 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Just been to the shop to buy a new shirt, and have lunch at Yellows.

Here you can see McCormack's blue Punto parked there.

 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Would genuinely love to have McCormack here. £13m is apparently Fulham's asking price which is very steep, but regardless of the price I would be really excited if we signed him.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Yes to Ricky (very few goals)

No to McCormack (lots of goals)

I thought you were against the 'little  old norwich' attitude? :ph34r:
1) We already have RvW here, so no additional financial outlay

2) I firmly believe that played correctly, that not only would RvW score just as many as McCormack - I think it would be more if he was on-form and full of confidence with good supply

3) I think McCormack is massively overpriced, Swansea paid less for Bony FFS - and that was to sign for a prem club rather than moving from 1 champs club to another!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with McCormack as a player, and I'm sure he'd do a good job for us as well, but I'd rather we didn't pay through the nose for the privilege...
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
If McCormack's goals got us promoted then his asking price would be dirt cheap.

Alas, I fear that the 'little old Norwich' syndrome may just scupper the move.

I pray I'm wrong.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
2) I firmly believe that played correctly, that not only would RvW score just as many as McCormack - I think it would be more if he was on-form and full of confidence with good supply
 I make posts like this about Cameron Jerome on another site I use. :D :D

Seriously though, do you take lots of drugs?
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
 Seriously though, do you take lots of drugs?
No, it's called using common sense and fairness in my communications, strange that you'd mistake this for drug abuse...

For me, it's like the difference between viewing a wild animal in their natural habitat and watching them doing what they do best and comes naturally to them, or viewing them in a zoo where it's all artificial and the animals are usually VERY different creatures than their wild brethren. We've put RvW in our zoo, removed his natural instincts and urges and instead shoehorned him into a cage that didn't fit and absolutely represessed almost everything that made him the predator he was before he came here, and THEN we've had the audacity to claim that he's a poor example of the species and tried to push him out the back door...
 
B

Baggie192

New Member
Wo1ve5 became super-rich (again :angry: ) this week inflating the market. Sadly, you have to compete now against mega rich  owners in the Championship or be left behind. Use your parachute payments wisely to get back  quickly. Because Villa and now Wo1ve5 can outspend you in long run by owning the naming rights which will bypass FFP
 
Last edited by a moderator:
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Wo1ve5 became super-rich (again :angry: ) this week inflating the market. Sadly, you have to compete now against mega rich  owners in the Championship or be left behind. Use your parachute payments wisely to get back  quickly. Because Villa and now Wo1ve5 can outspend you in long run by owning the naming rights which will bypass FFP
If we worried about our owner/shareholders wealth, then we might as well ask to drop to L2. And even then Cambridge would be worth far more.

It has to be as much about the skill and talent of those on the payroll that counts.
 
O

OTBC29

New Member
Villa and Newcastle also want McCormack. Which is really frustrating because I can't see us outbidding Newcastle.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
Cameron Jerome is a good comparison; they are the same age, yet CJ has a career almost exclusively at a league above mid table champs sides,  with a similar champs scoring record yet cost 2m instead of 13m+ when 2 years younger.

He would do well if he joined us,  but for me its not clear he even fits our style of play, plays as a pair, not great pace and doesnt work defensively, how does that fit ANs approach?   We have naismith and a myriad of other options for players off the striker,  we need another striker to take the lone role - can we buy that and RM?

We will get a couple of strikers (expecting a second on loan)
 
B

Baggie192

New Member
If we worried about our owner/shareholders wealth, then we might as well ask to drop to L2. And even then Cambridge would be worth far more.

It has to be as much about the skill and talent of those on the payroll that counts.
I agree it should be about talent. The thing is that talents going up in price The market is inflating. I'd rather have you than, the D1ngle5 or Vile. I been lurkering and reading McCormack proven talent at this level Going rate £13m Yet people want to try again with RVW who was a bust when you bought him and has been a bust while on loan. The landscape's changed sad but true Clubs will do a Bournemouth. gamble at getting up. The D1ngle5 now have the backing plus the naming rights for the Molineux they can afford the talent. I hope the club doesn't stagnate as the Championship will fragment like the prem. I hope you don't hit a glass ceiling and get stuck there. 
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Just been to the shop to buy a new shirt, and have lunch at Yellows.

Here you can see McCormack's blue Punto parked there.

I'm not sure how trustworthy a source your picture is Morty :D
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I agree it should be about talent. The thing is that talents going up in price The market is inflating. I'd rather have you than, the D1ngle5 or Vile. I been lurkering and reading McCormack proven talent at this level Going rate £13m Yet people want to try again with RVW who was a bust when you bought him and has been a bust while on loan. The landscape's changed sad but true Clubs will do a Bournemouth. gamble at getting up. The D1ngle5 now have the backing plus the naming rights for the Molineux they can afford the talent. I hope the club doesn't stagnate as the Championship will fragment like the prem. I hope you don't hit a glass ceiling and get stuck there. 
A lot depends on the club and its supporters. I am sure the two clubs you rival will point to former "greatness" and many of their supporters will feel they should be eating at the captain's table. And many would take the risk of foreign ownership just in the hope of investment in playing staff. And as you point out, this inflates the unworthy as well as the worthy.

I was interested in Reading who had Madjeski, then a Russian and now Thai's. I got the impression the lady owner was more interested in developing the area around the ground than anything to do with football. 

I am not sure NCFC is at that point (yet). I think there is enough support for the club taking its chances without selling its soul to the Far East. Of course there are many who would risk it all on trying to equal those who have probably only temporary stability and success.
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
He's dangerous. Sign him up. 
Yep, then hopefully we can play him on his own upfront, demand he plays like Jerome, give him ZERO supply and than slate the guy with a view to offloading him 2-3 years later as a complete flop, despite his previous goalscoring and obvious abilities - let's face it - it's what we've done with RvW...
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top