By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Lessons Learnt?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

1) He makes negative remarks about the person who questioned his tactics.

This has happened to supporters, players and reporters.
Apart from Connor Southwell I don’t remember him having a pop at anyone else, or do you mean the story about Leitner ?

morty

morty

Staff member
That's the worrying thing about Farke.
He tends to take things as criticism and his reaction is in two parts :-

1) He makes negative remarks about the person who questioned his tactics.

This has happened to supporters, players and reporters.

2) He persists stubbornly in whatever he was criticised for doing. His phrase being "we must try harder / better" to try to make those things work.
Unfortunately this has the consequence of implying that the tactics are fine but the players are not good enough, something he's mentioned several times, leaving the players feeling low in confidence and lacking belief in the manager.
It also alienates those ones who he has made negative comments about, things like they are only supporters and don't know what is happening in the game.

It's like Emperor's new clothes, everyone can see it's not right but he's going to chop off your head if you point out his tiny penis.
Realistically what do you expect him to do? We aren't in the position to buy better players. The tactics have to suit the players that we have in positions. And, he knows a lot more about all of this than any of us., a lot of fans may think they are a tactical genius, but they really aren't. And that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be questioned of course, but he knows his players, and what they are capable of. It is about being honest, which I think he is. I am not aware of any players lacking belief in the manager?

Again, I'm not really sure what you expect him to do here?

N

Number 9

Apart from Connor Southwell I don’t remember him having a pop at anyone else, or do you mean the story about Leitner ?
It's happened a few times, last season too.
The media and the supporters, at the time I was surprised that more wasn't made of it, I suppose we were winning games and he could do no wrong.

N

Number 9

Realistically what do you expect him to do? We aren't in the position to buy better players. The tactics have to suit the players that we have in positions. And, he knows a lot more about all of this than any of us., a lot of fans may think they are a tactical genius, but they really aren't. And that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be questioned of course, but he knows his players, and what they are capable of. It is about being honest, which I think he is. I am not aware of any players lacking belief in the manager?

Again, I'm not really sure what you expect him to do here?
You just suggested only one full back going forward at a time and the other defenders covering when that happens rather than all going forward at once.

This could have been done at any time this or last season as a way to stem the flow of goals conceded. But it wasn't and we conceded lots of goals.

It looks like a free for all with all the defenders piling forward at once and everyone chasing back in a panic when we lose the ball.

This suggestion doesn't require world class players, it just requires the coach to organise the players we have.

Yet it hasn't been done. Thats just one suggestion of the top of a supporters head which would probably have made a difference.
It's not rocket science, but these changes haven't happened. We still are conceding silly goals.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

You just suggested only one full back going forward at a time and the other defenders covering when that happens rather than all going forward at once.

This could have been done at any time this or last season as a way to stem the flow of goals conceded. But it wasn't and we conceded lots of goals.

It looks like a free for all with all the defenders piling forward at once and everyone chasing back in a panic when we lose the ball.

This suggestion doesn't require world class players, it just requires the coach to organise the players we have.

Yet it hasn't been done. Thats just one suggestion of the top of a supporters head which would probably have made a difference.
It's not rocket science, but these changes haven't happened. We still are conceding silly goals.

I guess we have to presume that he wants our fullbacks to play that way, frustrating at times, exciting in the championship. This is where the difference in quality really goes against us, lose the ball and we’re probably conceding a goal. Some call it stubborn and naive, others would say it’s a brave way to play. I do accept that perhaps DF could have adjusted the system more throughout the season which may have got us more points.

N

Number 9

Consider this one suggestion that may well have got us a few more points.

To stay in the Premier League for another season is £100 million plus.

I'm not going on because of preference for a particular style of play, I strongly feel that we have wasted an opportunity, simply because Farke doesn't appear to want to adapt his system slightly.

OldRobert

OldRobert

While DF continues to be inflexible in playing style and tactically, we will continue to ship goals to an alarming degree, and will not progress no matter what league we are in. Every successful manager shows some flexibility if their plans or ideas are not working, DF seems to find it impossible to do this.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I think you’ll find he will say he has been flexible. He has tried different formations, he even went 4-4-2 the other week ! ;) We’ve had 3 at the back and played with a diamond. Part of the issue has been that unfortunately the players aren’t quite good enough, and for me, physically strong enough.

N

Number 9

I think you’ll find he will say he has been flexible. He has tried different formations, he even went 4-4-2 the other week ! ;) We’ve had 3 at the back and played with a diamond. Part of the issue has been that unfortunately the players aren’t quite good enough, and for me, physically strong enough.
It's true he has made odd changes occasionally, however during each change at no point has he had the defence organised as a tight unit covering for each other etc.
They still all bombed forward together.

OldRobert

OldRobert

We played with a diamond all the time with Lambert, with inferior players one could say.......................and that's progress? How often do we play with a diamond with Farke? 3 at the back, usually when someone has been injured, or sent off like Godfrey, even then Tettey usually replaces. How often do we start with 3 at the back? Why does Maclean play nearly every game even though he is often ineffectual? Why drop Pukki, Cantwell and Buendia from the starting lineup the other day when we needed a win and creativity? No one could believe that at the time or since. Why can't he see that Drmic is totally US? I have not seen anyone anywhere say he's any good, we can't all be wrong.

Farke may be the manager, but he's also a typical stubborn German, who would never admit he was wrong even when he was. It's in their DNA. Call me racist if you want, but just examine their history. Only a naive egotistical idiot could possibly believe that we could survive in the PL, with a Championship side having spent no money. Plain ridiculous as were the supporters who went along with it.

OldRobert

OldRobert

I think this statement from DF sums up that nothing has been learnt and I defy anybody on here to agree with it. I comes from a statement quoted by the man himself here: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...-premier-league-relegation-thoughts-1-6741500 and states among other things:

"For the mid- to long-term this season is a success."

I sincerely believe you would be hard pushed to find more than a few happy clappers, who would classify this season as anything more than a disaster. 17th place was a possible, and we wimped it out with pathetic performances, just gave up. Unprofessional from top to bottom.:mad:

morty

morty

Staff member
I don't want to use the phrase "bigger picture" but I am going to have to unfortunately.

In the grand scheme of things the youngsters have grown up a bit, we have added Sam Mcallum, Melvin Sitti and the other one whose name I can't remember, to the production line. I stand by Webber's statement that this is a 5 year project, and we actually got promoted a year quicker than planned. Of course relegation is disappointing (How much I hate the Premier league and will be glad to see the back of it is a whole other issue) but hopefully we can up the quality in a few positions, over the summer. Or 6 week break as it now is (no idea when the transfer window is open actually)

Sell Godfrey, pack Klose off to Europe somewhere and buy two decent central defenders. Hanley and Zimbo, if fit are good enough. Perhaps Rocky Bushiri is ready? Hopefully we will see a lot more of Adam Idah and Josh Martin. I think a lot of the young players that were bought over the last few years were bought with being in the Championship in mind, and promotion caused a reshuffle with loans etc.

I fully expect us to be pretty competitive next season.

As regards today? No idea. I can't believe this is the same team that beat Leicester and Spurs in February. I think what knocked us was that we had winnable games at home after the restart, that we didn't, and doubts really crept in, and confidence was lost.

N

Number 9

I've met Farke couple of times and he's an absolute gentleman, what I wanted to hear him say "really sad we're relegated, sorry I sat on my hands and didn't adjust our tactics earlier in the season.
I can confirm that we will be signing a defensive coach who will work with the back 6 to ensure that we don't concede two goals per game next season."
He didn't say that, he isn't going to do it, prepare for doom.

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I've met Farke couple of times and he's an absolute gentleman, what I wanted to hear him say "really sad we're relegated, sorry I sat on my hands and didn't adjust our tactics earlier in the season.
I can confirm that we will be signing a defensive coach who will work with the back 6 to ensure that we don't concede two goals per game next season."
He didn't say that, he isn't going to do it, prepare for doom.
If you really expected him to say all those things to you then you’re also expecting to see Santa come down your chimney on Christmas Eve

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

I’m already getting nervous about Man City in a couple of weeks time :oops::eek:

OldRobert

OldRobert

I'll believe the so called 5 year project when I see some sign of it, bearing in mind, that if he is to be believed, Webber won't be here to see it to fruition, which is why I don't believe it exists. It's just unsubstantiated waffle you'll see.

N

Number 9

I'll believe the so called 5 year project when I see some sign of it, bearing in mind, that if he is to be believed, Webber won't be here to see it to fruition, which is why I don't believe it exists. It's just unsubstantiated waffle you'll see.

When we consider the things we find annoying about the current regime, it would be wrong not to acknowledge that the finances of our club are secure now, it wasn't that way when Webber arrived.

N

Number 9

Bloody hell, you wait until we’re relegated to post something positive ? ;) :)
It's just the obvious failings jump out at me every game, I can't understand why its not sorted.
I can see the big picture, but I tend to focus on potential and get disheartened.
Getting the basics right makes everything easier. You can't possibly say that Farke and the players have enjoyed this season, it's just been wrong.