By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Rotherham(away) Saturday 16th March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gerryinromania

There I wuz, super stream, magic sipping potion in the glass, tough old 1st half, but we were edging it. Half time, topped up the glass, sat back and "wass goun orrnn?" Internet down, bloody telephone won't accept texts. Having to phone my nephew every 5 minutes " wass the score bor?" He told me, 4 minutes extra then he disappeared. Frantically scrambling around my cable tv and found a betting site that told me we had won. Gret owd gulp of magic sipping potion, helped calm my nerves. Yes damned internet back again now and I've seen the goals. Well done the Canaries and the fans

Din

Din

Fantastic win, as they all are at this point. It would've been so easy though to take our foot off the gas playing against a team in the bottom 3, particularly with Leeds losing. But yet again we stepped up and put in a performance worthy of winning the game, which we did, and it should've been more comfortable with the chances Pukki and Buendia had 2nd half. It didn't matter though in the end.

4 points clear at the top, 5 of 2nd place Leeds who will hopefully bottle. We're going into the international break in a fantastic position.

And yeah, like many I've been saying Leitner/Vrancic should come in for McLean, but a goal and an assist from a centre midfielder, can't argue with that. 8 games left and it's in our hands, OTBC.

Din

Din

There I wuz, super stream, magic sipping potion in the glass, tough old 1st half, but we were edging it. Half time, topped up the glass, sat back and "wass goun orrnn?" Internet down, bloody telephone won't accept texts. Having to phone my nephew every 5 minutes " wass the score bor?" He told me, 4 minutes extra then he disappeared. Frantically scrambling around my cable tv and found a betting site that told me we had won. Gret owd gulp of magic sipping potion, helped calm my nerves. Yes damned internet back again now and I've seen the goals. Well done the Canaries and the fans

You sure you're in Romania? Sounds a lot like North Norfolk to me ;)

G

gerryinromania

This is where I live Din .Aren't North Norfolk a bit posh? Exiled Linnet, for my sins:rolleyes:. Get to see most games out here on the old puta, but really enjoy my winter fix at the Carra

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Yesterday was pretty similar to recent matches in that we aren’t dominating midfield like we were but doing enough to get a result. Steipermann struggles when the pace of the game is pretty quick and Onel was a bit frustrating. He needs to play as he’s the only player with pace but his final ball and decision making wasn’t great, but when he made an error the staff on the bench were immediately encouraging him. McLean is a strange one, I think he does a fair bit of dirty work that some supporters probably don’t notice, he gives the ball away a bit more than his team mates and then pops up with a goal ! We created enough chances to have scored five but did the job again, nice to have a two week break.

N

Number 9

How I would have started the game

Krul
Aaron's Godfrey Zimmo Lewis
Beundia Trybull Leitner Cantwell
Pukki McLean

Not as a four four two as such, but just roughly those players starting in those positions.
Onel and Steiperman have not had their best couple of games and McLean is more suited to that role supporting the striker.

G

GJP

Stiepermann doesn't have to actually play that well to be worth his place. He's a hard worker and a problem for the opposition to deal with.

It's similar for Hernandez. He's a threat. Even if he doesn't get the right final ball he rarely lets his opposing defender have an easy day at the office. He also covers back better than Cantwell.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

How I would have started the game

Krul
Aaron's Godfrey Zimmo Lewis
Beundia Trybull Leitner Cantwell
Pukki McLean

Not as a four four two as such, but just roughly those players starting in those positions.
Onel and Steiperman have not had their best couple of games and McLean is more suited to that role supporting the striker.

To be honest I think that would left us far too lightweight, we really struggled with Rotherham's physically and they nearly did a job on us by being all over us constantly.... really don't see what Cantwell in particular would have offered in a game where we were struggling to find a rhythm and losing a lot of the midfield battles. McLean had spells being fairly anonymous again but at the end of the day he scored a really important goal for the team.

Would however like to see Farke change it up a bit now, and for Leitner or Vrancic to be accommodated somehow.

N

Number 9

It's quite apparent that we play a different game when Farke puts different players on the pitch.
Past few games, the players have been battling hard and winning through sheer hard work and determination.
Winning games, fantastic.

Prior to that however, we were dominating games by taking care of the ball and 'playing round the press' if you like.

Two different styles, I prefer to play our best ball players and play ole football rather than battling and letting the opposition think they have a chance.

We have the players to do it, I have not heard Farke explain yet why he chooses one aay or the other.

N

Number 9

That's why I'd have Leitner in charge, Marco had quiet couple so push Kenny up next to striker.
Onel had quiet couple so give Todd a run out.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

I just think he doesn't like changing a winning team.

Kenny McLean came in for a game when both Leitner and Vrancic were out..... and he's been in the side for 6 games.

We've won all 6 of those games.... 3 goals and 3 assists for Kenny Mac in those 6 games too.

Its just the way things have worked out. I'm sure if McLean pulled a muscle and missed the next game than either Vrancic or Leitner would be able to keep their place in the side.

Its not just them though is it.... look at Timm Klose and Grant Hanley not getting a kick. We've got quality players being kept out by players who are simply winning their games.

N

Number 9

Yeah, those defenders on the bench you would class as good players, but would the team be better with them in the starting 11? Would we play any different? Probably not significantly.

My opinion is that adjusting the midfield would make a tangible difference to our play and move us away from the harem scarem, and to end game with very little control.
Let's face it, we won't be able to play that way in the Premier League.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

We've had numerous spells of great form this season with various different players in the team, including a great spell with Tettey as our anchor man. During that same spell we had Klose in the side.

My point is that Klose and Hanley are on the bench because Zimmermann and Godfrey are doing enough to keep their place.

Its patently obvious by now that Farke just doesn't like changing a winning team. The team seems to evolve organically when a player gets injured another man has the opportunity to come in and if we are winning he keeps his place.

No idea if it could work well for us in the Premier League, but its working very well for us in the Championship.

Tettey can't have any complaints, as Trybull had to be patient for his chance. Just like Vrancic can't have any complaints because he had to wait patiently for his also, etc.

Its the business end of the season and all I care about is getting enough points to win the league to be honest, at this stage.

Yeah I'd like to see more of Leitner, but not convinced Rotherham away was the place to do that to be honest. We were never going to be dazzle on one of the smallest pitches in the country against a team full of 6ft 2 inch rugby players who wanted to kick us.

Don't think Leitner would have been the difference between a scrappy game and us playing them off the park in this particular fixture to be honest.

Our hugely successful recruitment strategy by the way has involved elements of scrutinizing data from various league to identify highly productive players. I'm sure we use data analysis a lot..... and right now the data shows that McLean is producing. He does look a bit out of place in a Farke system at times.... and I love Leitner and want to see more of him.... but I trust Farke.

Status
Not open for further replies.