By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich City vs Wigan (Away) Sunday 14th April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Worth noting of course that both Wigan and Reading had a lot to play for, and that many other sides in this league don't.

E.g. Sheffield Wednesday who Leeds beat, only had Yorkshire pride to aim for.

morty

morty

Staff member
Just home, thass was a long old poke buh!

A bit disappointing, I thought we were poor at times and looked nervy. But in the grand scheme Leeds still need to win two more games than us, so not the end of the world. But fail to win on Friday....

morty

morty

Staff member
Draw today meant we can't reach 100 points
I'll settle for just winning the league, because I'm sure Leeds would dearly love us to drop a few more. Yeah I know going up is what counts, but I really, really want to win it now. That Emi red card starting to look pretty costly now....

G

GJP

I'll settle for just winning the league, because I'm sure Leeds would dearly love us to drop a few more. Yeah I know going up is what counts, but I really, really want to win it now. That Emi red card starting to look pretty costly now....
At worst Leeds can close the gap to 1 point before Emi returns. And then Emi returns and we win.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Ideally we'd have won it before playing Aston Villa.... who are the leagues 'form team' right now.

Leeds have to play them too though!

Din

Din

Was a great day out, even if it was a long old day and a disappointing performance overall. Amazing atmosphere in the ground before the game with green flares going off and Farke on a Horse being sung constantly for about 20 minutes. Have to say as someone whose never been to Yorkshire before either that parts of it are absolutely stunning.

But yeah we played pretty poorly in general. Stiepermann and Hernandez look like different players since Buendia has been out the team. Battled hard to get the point though and ultimately it's another point towards promotion. We do really need to change things up for the next game though, with possibly both Vrancic and Leitner coming in, who made a huge difference off the bench. While we didn't play great though we may have got all 3 points if we hadn't been the victim of one of the most imcompentent refereeing performances I've ever seen. The penalty for a start just isn't a penalty. It hits Godfrey's leg first which admitedly wasn't clear to me at the time but watching highlights since the ref should've seen that as he was standing right in front of it. But just in general time after time he made poor decision after poor decision, always going against us. It was an absolutely shambles of a performance by him and the FA or whatever need to have a serious look at him.

Great reception for the players and Farke at the end, which to be fair they all deserve. Onto Friday now where it's literally just a case of ticking off the games and making sure we're still top at the end of each round of fixtures. If Sheffield United lose and we win the next game then we will be promoted. OTBC

G

GJP

I thought it was a penalty, fwiw. But the ref didn't initially, until Wigan called for it.

N

Number 9

Does it matter? You have them for you or against you during the season, when you're playing a team at the bottom of the League, surely the game shouldn't be won or lost on a single decision like that.
We made hard work of it again, unusually, Farke made subs slightly earlier than his norm and we looked a lot better.
Why is he resistant to playing his best players? No logic in it for me, hopefully a lesson has been learned and it won't be same old same old against Wednesday.
Roll on next couple of games and promotion.

Din

Din

The problem as much as anything is it's not clear what the rule with hand balls are. According to FA's official rules:

"Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with the hand or arm.

The following must be considered:
the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an offence"

Now clearly Godfrey wasn't deliberately trying to handle the ball, he was just throwing his body in front of the shot to try and block it. He had no time to react because the shot came in from 5 yards in front of him, and the ball hit his leg first and bounced up anyway, and even though his arm is slightly out-stretched, the position of the hand isn't apparently automatically an offence.

I think the rules are changing next season so that any handball inside the area is automatically a penalty, but at this moment in time there's no way it's a penalty. Particularly as GJP says because he wasn't actually going to give it until Wigan started appealing. There is no way the ref was 100% sure it was a penalty.

OldRobert

OldRobert

It's a harsh one but my "problem" is that I'd be screaming for that at the other end.
And with that pillock of a ref, you have got it. Doesn't alter the fact that you shouldn't have!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.