By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Norwich v Reading (Home) 29th November 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy

Andy

Can I ask what the players' reaction at the end of the game was? I didnt see it
Some allegations on Twitter that Ruddy made a gesture to some fans, Redmond told someone to come on the pitch if they thought they could do better. No idea if there's any truth in either but not great if true.

eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

This all adds up to chaos. Players having a go back at fans is ridiculous and please don't quote me "only human". They keep their mouths shut like they do at all other times and take it on the chin. Ruddy is way out of line and should be disciplined immediately. Dropping him is not enough. Redmond is a silly kid and knows that what he said is childish.

The board need to act immediately to calm the waters. They either back him or sack him. Either way they will at least show some leadership.

Din

Din

Adams has got to go. Absolutely appalling today, and that second half was even worse than a lot of the dross we had to sit through under Hughton. We barely created any clear cut chances, there was no energy, pace, or sense of urgency to our attack, and to top it all off we can't defend. 

Player Ratings:

Ruddy - 5. Made a good save from Robson-Kanu in the first half, but was at fault for Reading's second, and nearly made an absolute blunder to make it 3-1.
Whittaker - 7. Actually thought he was quite good. Distribution was much better today and on the whole defended relatively well. Also got forward well.
Martin - 5. Just not a centre back. 
Turner - 5. Was supposed to be marking Cooper on both occasions, yet allowed him a free header to score both times.
Olsson - 6. Felt sorry for him as he had no support down the line really for the whole game. When he did get forward though he did well and was solid defensively.
Redmond - 7. A real threat down the right hand side, and obviously put in the cross that lead to our goal. Did put in some poor crosses as well though.
Howson - 6. Didn't really have any impact on the game, with the exception of some dreadful corners.
Tettey - 7. As per usual, didn't try and do anything too complicated, just played it simple. He was good in the air as well.
Lafferty - 7. By far and away our biggest threat. Very direct, worked hard, and had a great shot smash against the bar. No idea why he was taken off.
Hooper - 7. Some great link-up play, good vision a couple of occasions, and obviously got the goal. Didn't really do much in the second half though. 
Jerome - 5. Won a few headers but apart from that didn't really do anything. Had a great chance at 1-1 as well but when he went through on goal but he wasted it.

Well I thought the Brighton game was bad. Particularly the second half today was absolutely appalling. It reminded me of the West Brom game last season, where if we had won we would've effectively secured safety. However, there was no fight, no passion, and no sense of urgency from any of the players to go out and get an equaliser no matter how late in the game it was. To add to that, the only way we seem to be able to open teams up nowadays is to play long balls over the top of the opposition defence. We never seem to pass it through teams, it's always that we play it slowly around the back, before one of the defenders plays a long ball looking for Hooper/Jerome/Lafferty. The football is just so unattractive at times, and it's not the way that Neil Adams promised us at the start of the season we would play. There is no pace in our attack, no sense of urgency, even when we're behind, and even when we do get chances more often than not we fail to take them. Add to that the fact that we can't defend, it's a recipe for absolute disaster.  

Another thing worth mentioning, the corners. The corners today were absolutely f*cking atrocious. I have no idea why Howson is taking them, when earlier on in the season Redmond was swinging them in, and most of the time they were good. I would say that 3 out of every 4 corners we took failed to beat the first man. The importance of corners was really shown as well today, by the fact that both of Reading's goals came from them. The marking on both occasions is simply terrible. The first goal it is Turner who is supposed to be marking Cooper. Turner loses the man, and by the team he catches him again he's already leaping to get his head on the ball. The second goal I have no idea who is meant to be marking Cooper, as there is no player anywhere near him. Obviously Ruddy should do considerably better as well. As Adams said after the game, set pieces hasn't been something that we've actually struggled from so far this season, so it looks like the players have got yet another aspect of their game that they need to improve.

I have to say, on the whole I wasn't particularly unhappy with Adams' initial team selection. With the obvious exception of Russell Martin at centre back. I just really don't understand why Cuellar has suddenly been dropped again. He came in and had a very good game against Nottingham Forest. Better than either Hooiveld or Martin have had at centre half so far this season, and yet he's not being used. I really don't understand it. I was happy that Adams had finally seen sense though and bought in Hooper alongside Jerome. The substitutions though once again for me were completely wrong. Lafferty I thought was by far and away our biggest threat. He had the beating of the right back every time, and on a couple of occasions he came inside and had a good effort on goal, including one that rattled off the bar. As soon as he came off we lost all creativity, and Murphy didn't really have any impact when he came on. 

I have to say, the players not making any effort to applaud the fans at the final whistle is something that really annoys me. No matter what happened on that pitch they are all getting thousands of pounds for that pathetic excuse of a performance. We all pay hundreds, some even thousands of pounds a season just to watch them, and support them, and yet just because a lot of fans booed at the final whistle, which they are perfectly entitled to do, the players can't even be bothered to appreciate us. There's the also the alleged incidents with Ruddy and Redmond. I have a mate in the N&P, who said that at one point Ruddy did turn around to the stand and start having a go at them. It's obviously very disappointing to see, and then there's his tweet as well after the game. For me that's just frustration and he doesn't actually mean what he says, but it's still poor on his behalf and hopefully we'll see some sort of apology of some sorts in the next few days. I have to say I don't believe the rumour that's going round that Redmond apparently told a fan who gave him abuse to "come on the pitch if he could do any better". It was obvious that he was getting increasingly frustrated as the game went on, and I'd be very disappointed with him if that turned out to be true. 

I would be amazed if Adams is still in the job on Monday. And whilst Phelan wouldn't be my first choice personally I would still welcome his inevitable appointment with open arms. As I've said before, I really like Adams as a person, and he is clearly Norwich through and through, but it's a results based business, and the results as well as the performances haven't been good enough. I'm going to be really quite annoyed if he's still here next week, as would the vast majority of Norwich fans. The hostility towards him and the team at the end of the game I thought was even worse than anything I felt under Hughton.

Gaffer

Gaffer

Why are some fans so hostile to the idea of dropping Ruddy for a while? Hart reacted positively for Man City when he was dropped. The keeper position shouldn't be an automatic choice but should be based on form like any other position.

ZLF

ZLF

Ruddy criticism is fair;   but again the fundamental problem was of the back 4 not doing their jobs.    Had turner done his properly we would have got a point - yet it seems he is immune from criticism while for the second week running his commitment is lacking as we concede goals through his shoddy defending.

Time for a change in the back 4. 

Andy

Andy

Ruddy criticism is fair;   but again the fundamental problem was of the back 4 not doing their jobs.    Had turner done his properly we would have got a point - yet it seems he is immune from criticism while for the second week running his commitment is lacking as we concede goals through his shoddy defending.

Time for a change in the back 4.
To be fair to Turner, he came into the Gunn club at the end of the game, in place of the injured Tettey, to give an interview. He accepted that personal mistakes at the back had cost us and said all the usual stuff about getting better etc but at least he had the balls to face the fans.

S

SussexYellow

Good on MT for doing that.

I have said it elsewhere but it is team selection for me. Reading were not going with pace - Glenn Murray up front. And are a big team largely playing hoofball. So this was as much a game for Hooiveld as Brighton was not!

Andy

Andy

Nice of the Pink'un to give Norwich Talk a plug

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/frustration_of_norwich_city_fans_and_players_boils_over_on_twitter_after_defeat_by_reading_1_3867927

Tomasz Blazak

Tomasz Blazak

I'm a bit bewildered as to why everyone is saying Lafferty had a great game. He did get better as the game went on , but for the first 35 minutes he was beyond useless. Couldn't pass to his own team, running the ball out of play with no awareness of where the touchline was etc. 

G

GJP

Bit harsh. He took the ball in some tight situations and was trying to wiggle out of them. He's got the ability to do it.

splutcho

splutcho

This all adds up to chaos. Players having a go back at fans is ridiculous and please don't quote me "only human". They keep their mouths shut like they do at all other times and take it on the chin. Ruddy is way out of line and should be disciplined immediately. Dropping him is not enough. Redmond is a silly kid and knows that what he said is childish.

The board need to act immediately to calm the waters. They either back him or sack him. Either way they will at least show some leadership.

I will direct you to this article - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/fan-fury-as-footballer-looks-up-while-being-abused-2014010982418

ZLF

ZLF

we look better balanced with lafferty on the left  but we need an alternative.    He has spend most of his career attacking from wide positions and we need to utilise that better.   give him a proper run there for me 

Status
Not open for further replies.