Norwich vs West Ham (pre-season)

G

GJP

Well-Known Member
I only saw the last 30-40 minutes or so but when West Ham brought on their better players it looked to me like Toffolo struggled - they got in down that side several times. Payet (was it) put in a few crosses.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I agree, but he still handled the 1v1 situations pretty well. 

We were much shakier in general when our proper defensive midfielder came off. 

I liked him more than EB on the other side anyway.
 
Redders right foot

Redders right foot

New Member
Generally speaking - most fullbacks would struggle after playing over 45 minutes and then having 9 fresh pairs of legs brought on against him
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
To be fair he's not being faced up by 9 players at a time. He was just getting beaten by 1 man.

But I know the point you're making.

My gut feeling is that he won't feature much in the Prem if we can avoid it.
 
Redders right foot

Redders right foot

New Member
Fair enough - and thanks for understanding what I was trying to get across.

you may well be right, but I would definitely like to see him get his chance (and not due to an injury situation, ideally.)
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I think he'll start the Palace game. Will be far less exposed with a proper midfield and back line in place. Bolasie, Zaha and Punchion will be quite a test, I'm sure. 
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
I think he'll start the Palace game. Will be far less exposed with a proper midfield and back line in place. Bolasie, Zaha and Punchion will be quite a test, I'm sure. 
If he does I wonder how much it will be about shop windowing him for a season long move abroad?

Still a bit pessemistic about him, I'm afraid.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Why abroad? Are you talking about Ricky? If so I can't see him starting against Palace.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Why abroad? Are you talking about Ricky? If so I can't see him starting against Palace.
Lol, sorry, I should have read the whole thread :blush:

I am just up, am on night shift lol.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
I was impressed by Ruddy, O'Neil, Andreu and Toffolo. Ryan Bennett as well to a slightly lesser extent. I thought Odjidja showed some nice play but his final ball was often poor. Redmond looked lively when he came on as well. Elliott Bennett was decent on the whole, however I think it's clear he's not quite cut out to play right-back regularly just yet. A number of times he got beaten or turned too easily, and the defensive side of his game needs a fair bit of work if he's ever going to be a right-back at Premier League level. Hopefully though he'll continue to work on that part of his game and maybe later this season he'll be able to prove himself in that position. Hooper, Tettey and Turner were all much of a muchness really.

Van Wolfswinkel to be fair to him showed some nice touches, and he also made some intelligent runs (for example the chance that saw him go through on goal). He is also pretty good at finding space in the box. However they all practically count for nothing as a striker if you can't finish when a chance comes your way.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
He did look more like the van Wolfswinkel from early in his first season here, before the confidence completely left his body. I'm not sure he can be salvaged. Could be a case of just needing a goal or two to get going again. Or not.

i do actually think that Grabban would make a good strike partner for him, his movement would complement him.

Buuuuuuuuuut, I can't see it happening. I believe Neil did say that we're signign a forward, that means 2 will surely go. As I've said before, I can't se Hooper going. 
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
Sounds like another excellent run out with the Manager taking a further look at squad options and depth, plus again giving RVW another chance, I can understand that.....However, even accepting he contributed to team play on all accounts.......he seems to have failed, you need to bury golden chances in a friendly, it's not like he is 18 and that was his debut .   When considering who was missing, my guess is, that other than the result, that was another success.  
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
I hear that RVW was subbed at 90 minutes?

wonder why………..
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
I had hopes for RVW with a more attacked minded manager but on last nights evidence, I can't see him making it. He just does not have a physical presence. A slight knock and he ends up on the deck and he isn't diving. With AN likely to play a lone striker, you have to have to able to look after yourself. 
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
People used to joke about how Andy Cole needed 6 chances a game to score for Man Utd, yet RvW misses a good chance in a meanginless friendly and suddenly the world has ended and the player is utterly garbage because of it...

I fully agree that strikers need to convert as best possible, but considering the number of sitters Grabban missed last season, not to mention that even higher rated prem level strikers can sometimes have utter shockers (take Pelle against Stoke and Lukaku against Leicester, who both failed to score despite having NINE chances each in those games), I think it's pretty unfair that a couple of misses are being so strongly held against RvW, especially when it's nothing more than a fitness routine anyway.
 
Dubai Mark

Dubai Mark

Active Member
But Indy, its not just that is it?  He has had a few chances now PLUS a season in a weaker league where he didnt exactly set the world alight. That WAS a golden chance for him, and for HIM certainly not just a fitness routine, I hope he didnt think that himself. Its clear the club are desperate for him to come good and gave him a great platform to do just that ahead of several other players in, what we can call a "prestigious friendly" I guess, 20,000 fans waiting to be impressed :)
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I thought Toffolo did better on the left than elliott did on the right,   with jarvis the definite winner of that battle.  My only other lasting impressions were that RvWs movement was good but confidence once in the box shocking,  while hooper had a couple of neat touches but generally looked the poorer of the two.   

reasonable run out but didnt learn much.
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
People used to joke about how Andy Cole needed 6 chances a game to score for Man Utd, yet RvW misses a good chance in a meanginless friendly and suddenly the world has ended and the player is utterly garbage because of it...

I fully agree that strikers need to convert as best possible, but considering the number of sitters Grabban missed last season, not to mention that even higher rated prem level strikers can sometimes have utter shockers (take Pelle against Stoke and Lukaku against Leicester, who both failed to score despite having NINE chances each in those games), I think it's pretty unfair that a couple of misses are being so strongly held against RvW, especially when it's nothing more than a fitness routine anyway.
Apart from his inability to intimidate CB's with any physical presence, I made it 3 chances. The run on goal when he looked totally unsure whether to pass it, shoot or go round the keeper, the side foot wide, when in a "meaningless" game he could have put his lace through it and the shot on the turn on the edge of the six yard box that he mishit.
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
People used to joke about how Andy Cole needed 6 chances a game to score for Man Utd, yet RvW misses a good chance in a meanginless friendly and suddenly the world has ended and the player is utterly garbage because of it...

I fully agree that strikers need to convert as best possible, but considering the number of sitters Grabban missed last season, not to mention that even higher rated prem level strikers can sometimes have utter shockers (take Pelle against Stoke and Lukaku against Leicester, who both failed to score despite having NINE chances each in those games), I think it's pretty unfair that a couple of misses are being so strongly held against RvW, especially when it's nothing more than a fitness routine anyway.
Andy Cole was a great, great goalscorer in the Premier League. One of the very best it has seen. So the comment about him needing 6 chances was always ridiculous.

It's not really the same as RVW. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Andy Cole was a great, great goalscorer in the Premier League. One of the very best it has seen. So the comment about him needing 6 chances was always ridiculous.

It's not really the same as RVW. 
Completely different types of players too.  

I'm sure that Andy Cole used to play the offside trap, work the channels, and use his pace to get behind the defence to meet through balls, often going one-on-one with keepers. 

Van Wolfswinkel doesn't have the pace required to play that way. 

Somebody compared RVW with Lineker on here the other day, I'd say that this was a good comparison. But if you are going to be that sort of player then finishing is the single most important aspect of your game, when you get a chance you have to bury it, its fundamental.

I actually think that the best finisher that we have at the club is Gary Hooper. If we are going to have a player who can't contribute all that much to our overall game but is just on the pitch to bury a chance when one presents itself, then for me that player is Hooper. 

It would make no sense at all to me if we got rid of Hooper but gave RVW game time. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top