Right then, who should we sign?

KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I think that would be a very solid signing indeed. Maybe Dorrans could give him a call.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
West Brom have released Youssouf Mulumbu! 

Really surprised by that, he's only 28 and has been a regular for them for 5 or 6 seasons, up until this season, and he was linked to Arsenal and Liverpool about 18 months ago.

Could he be a cheap way of signing some experienced competition for Tettey in that DM spot? 

With Tettey struggling to stay fit for a whole season and Johnson being a bit rubbish in that role last time around I think he'd be a good punt on a two year deal. 
Could be a good shout considering what happened at Leicester this season.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
For me:

Centre Back: I think this is a key position that we need to strengthen. My first choice would be Virgil Van Dijk at Celtic. Might cost us a fair bit I'm not sure, but it's also one I can see happening as Alex Neil will know of him from his time in Scotland. Steven Caulker is also another option, and a very good centre back. But again might cost us a fair bit of money. Micah Richards is out of contract at Manchester City and is therefore a free agent. Probably on quite a bit of money as well though. Curtis Davies won Hull's player of the season the season before last. Don't know how he's got on this season, but clearly he can be a very good centre back at this level. 

Winger: The main option I would like is Bakary Sako. Free agent now so would be a fantastic signing on a free, and we definitely need a left midfielder. Matt Phillips would be the second choice, and he's a player that I can see us going for, as I seem to remember when he was at Colchester we had a bid rejected for him, before he went to Blackpool, but he might also cost us a bit. Alex Pritchard as well really impressed when last season at Brentford, and after a loan in the Championship the next logical step is a loan in the Premier League. 

Striker: Crystal Palace apparently are looking to sell Dwight Gayle. It's proven that when given a chance he can score goals at this level, there's just a slight question about his attitude. Patrick Bamford was obviously Championship player of the year last season, and like Pritchard after a loan in the Championship the next step is a Premier League loan.

Those are just a few options for chosen positions, and only those from English clubs.  
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Also, on Mulumbu. I know a few WBA fans on another forum, and they said that his wages are extortionate for a mid-table Premier League club, and that this season he was really poor, and seemed to have a bit of an attitude problem. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Also, on Mulumbu. I know a few WBA fans on another forum, and they said that his wages are extortionate for a mid-table Premier League club, and that this season he was really poor, and seemed to have a bit of an attitude problem. 
Had a quick look at a West Brom forum and most are sad to see him go and said that he worked his socks off, and he won their player of the year a couple of times, so could be that any bad attitude is a recent thing and the result of the new manager deciding he didn't like him? Just like Bassong with Neil Adams? 

211 games in 6 years for them, so is at very least loyal? 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Had a quick look at a West Brom forum and most are sad to see him go and said that he worked his socks off, and he won their player of the year a couple of times, so could be that any bad attitude is a recent thing and the result of the new manager deciding he didn't like him? Just like Bassong with Neil Adams? 

211 games in 6 years for them, so is at very least loyal? 
Yeah could well be the new manager not liking him. I'm literally just going off what the WBA fans on the other forum I'm on are saying. I personally always thought he was a good player, and if as long as he isn't asking for massive wages I wouldn't mind seeing him here. That said I don't think centre midfield is an area that we need to prioritise in terms of bringing in new players.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
Curtis Davies is a great shout and I think dawson or huth would also be worth the investment.     Really not keen on the consecutively relegated caulker.      

Matty Phillips I have proposed elsewhere and would be a good option wide left and still only 24.   Pritchard could be a Wessi alternative.    VanDijk is interesting but likely to be more coveted than we can afford.    I remain keen on Oliver Norwood as Tettey cover - and thats before looking at a cambiaso type signing from overseas.

I think its a full back 4 (cover for Olsson plus starters in all other positions)  a challenger / cover for defensive & left midfield and a striker as a minimum.

The problem one seems to be striker - someone in the Bony, Aubayemang, Benteke mould would be worth breaking the bank for - not sure who is out there that may fit the bill.  
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
This is a key question for the reasons you list, GMD. I think another advantage of BJ playing on the left is the support he gives Olsson, as was demonstrated in the way they handled Adomah in the play-off final. That would be an even bigger gain in the PL. I'd like to see him stay there.

I really hope that BJ stays where he is. Iv heard ppl say he cant play there in the Premier League. Well Id love to see it given a chance. I was always hoping we would shift BJ out until this season really, because I just didnt think he was good enough. He has proved very effective in this role though, and I dont understand the automatic argument that this wouldnt be the case in the PL. He was pretty ineffective in his original role, so why take a backward step?

I really would start the season with the team that beat Boro. I think that is the most balanced side we've had for a long time and I dont really think, as a starting point, it needs much fiddling
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I think I have only seen one suggestion that BJ should leave.   He is a great part of our squad and I have no desire for him to leave,  and I am probably his biggest critic.   

However nor do I see him as a guaranteed starter - commitment & great aerial ability can only take him so far with his continued poor use of the ball his limitation at prem level. Apart from more headers and significantly more goals most of his performances markers were the same as last seasons despite playing at a lower level.   This season against the top 8 sides his passing remained poor (markedly lower than against the others,  only 1 game over 75% success rate) and only 3 of his goals came against those sides.   That is the minimum level of opposition we face next season.  He shone primarily in games against lower capability sides.   

Many appearances yes,  more from the bench - yes, play every game,  played centrally or sold?  not for me.

Likewise while the balance of the team starting against boro was good - but we will need better quality in the prem,  for example the back 4 will simply not be good enough against the better power, pace & movement of prem strikers - not the kanes or agueros but the berahinos etc at the smaller clubs too.   

If we can stay in the prem this season (min £60m prize money) the next season sees the minimum payout leaping to £97m for simply finishing bottom.    Now is the time to invest in augment a solid squad with that touch of quality - it is a key season.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Of the current 25 man squad, the possible leavers would be Turner, Miquel (probably on loan), O'Neil, Lafferty(loan?), and RvW. If Turner leaves, I'd like to see him replaced by a left-sided CB who can also cover at LB so that Miquel (who can cover both) can go on loan to gain experience. Miquel's place could then be taken by a quality DM like Mulumbu. Both Lafferty and Grabban can play effectively on the left or right of a 4-2-3-1, so I am less concerned about additions there, especially as Redmond and Johnson look likely to start most games and Dorrans can play on the left if there's a need, not to mention Josh. 

If RvW leaves, then I'd go for another AM/2nd striker, or a LB/WB option to compete with Olsson. The final question is whether we need a 3rd keeper. It's certainly going to be interesting.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
So I think we've now got precisely 25 players who would have to be registered in a 25 man squad to be eligible to play... 

John Ruddy

Steven Whittaker

Bradley Johnson

Russell Martin

Michael Turner

Lewis Grabban

Jonny Howson

Cameron Jerome

Gary Hooper

Tony Andreu

Wes Hoolahan

Ignasi Miquel

Jamar Loza

Elliott Bennett

Nathan Redmond

Martin Olsson

Ryan Bennett

Declan Rudd

Alex Tettey

Gary O'Neil

Sebastien Bassong

Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe

Graham Dorrans

Kyle Lafferty

Ricky Van Wolfswinkel

So its now one in, one out. I think we'll see Lafferty, Van Wolfswinkel, Loza, and Miquel out. Tony Andreu is suddenly looking like a strange signing, if he weren't up to speed for the Championship then he won't be much cop for the Premier League. Wonder whether he'll be out on loan. 

I think there are still question marks over Odjidja-Ofoe and Gary O'Neil, if its true that Alex Neil wants McArthur then that position is looking a little crowded. On one hand O'Neil has contributed more this season, but on the other hand Odjidja-Ofoe is only 26 years old. Do you go with the player who has earned his chance, or the player who has the better chance of a long term future here? Tough decisions! 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
The final question is whether we need a 3rd keeper. It's certainly going to be interesting.
I was going to say Remi Matthews, but he's 21 so would have to be counted in the 25. So we've actually got 26 senior players, as I didn't count him. 
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
I think redmond and loza will both count as under 21s too for next season - although I may stand corrected.    My assessment is

Core players for me are John Ruddy, Steven Whittaker Bradley Johnson Russell Martin, Lewis Grabban, Jonny Howson, Cameron Jerome, Wes Hoolahan, Nathan Redmond, Martin Olsson, Declan Rudd, Alex Tettey,  Seb Bassong & Graham Dorrans  - 14 players and 13 for the 25 purposes

Happy to see them stay but wont be missed if they leave are Ryan Bennett, Gary Hooper,Jamar Loza, Elliott Bennett, Gary O'Neil, Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe,  Ricky Van Wolfswinkel - possibly 6 more - although we would only need one of GH or Rvw,  depending on whether either wants to stay and who AN prefers - if either.

No place for them - Ignasi Miquel,  Michael Turner, Kyle Lafferty, Tony Andreu - simply wont offer us anything in the prem.  If Loza counts as a player then I would have him in this list.

So thats 18 aged players of the 25.  

With the need to add in 2 FBs, one each flank,  2 CBs, and a striker as a minimum,  with an option needed for Tettey and BJ wide and possible a keeper thats up to 8 more - taking us to 26. Looking at the list O'Neil & VOO would be in my options to remove to make space if needed.    

the keeper is an interesting one - do you gamble and hope 3 is enough with Remi providing emergency cover?
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
seems to be on the down grade - he was  impressive when first appeared at Spurs  he but has averaged less than 10 games a season for the last 4 years.     Could be cover for Tettey;   but I stick with my preference for Oliver Norwood in that role - young & on the updgrade.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Nope to Palacios. Unsurprisingly hasn't been the same player since the kidnapping and murder of his little brother. 

A Palacios at Wigan style player would be amazing if we could find one, thought we has one with Fer but that didn't quite pan out.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I think redmond and loza will both count as under 21s too for next season - although I may stand corrected.    
I've just had a google, and found this:

"An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences"

So you are correct, Redmond (was 21 in March), and Loza (was 21 in May) do not count. Neither does Remi Matthews (was 21 in February).

So that means we actually have just 23 senior players now. It isn't too big an issue then, Lafferty and Van Wolfswinkel leaving would take that to 21 and leave space for 4 players. 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: ZLF

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top