Right then, who should we sign?

Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Well-Known Member
I know we have only seen a little of Vadis but he seems to have something about him and I would like to see him given a chance
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
The hard facts on Jerome at Stoke in the PL are that he scored 7 goals in 15 starts and 35 sub appearances. Given that sub appearances can be anything from 5 - 30 minutes in most cases that works out to a goal every 3 or 4 games or about 10-12 goals if he played a whole PL season.

Grant Holt's 24 goals in the Championship dropped to 14 in the PL, so that ratio could be about right (ie. Jerome's 20 goals in the Championship dropping to 12-14 in the PL). Even 12 goals would be 4 more than our entire strike force produced our final year in the PL.
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Agree GJP re Andreu. We need to believe the evidence of our own eyes.

He was energetic, reasonably quick and disciplined when we did not have the ball. Probably a good guy to have round the changing room and certainly AN's man. But beyond that I did not see much.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
Agree GJP re Andreu. We need to believe the evidence of our own eyes.

He was energetic, reasonably quick and disciplined when we did not have the ball. Probably a good guy to have round the changing room and certainly AN's man. But beyond that I did not see much.
Hard to judge on the basis of a couple of brief sub appearances. AN knows him far better than we do and wouldn't have signed him if had doubts about his abilities. I think (and hope) that we will see far more from him in the PL.
 
S

SussexYellow

Active Member
Hard to judge on the basis of a couple of brief sub appearances. AN knows him far better than we do and wouldn't have signed him if had doubts about his abilities. I think (and hope) that we will see far more from him in the PL.
I think AN's judgment when he saw him play in the Championship, albeit briefly, was that he needed to spend more time in the Gym to improve his physical strength. I can recall AN saying that in an interview, although he did see it as something that could be achieved.

I would be delighted if he came good and TA seemed a nice guy in his interviews so you sort of want it for him. But for me he looks like somebody who will be on the fringes of the squad at best.
 
ZLF

ZLF

Well-Known Member
VOOs reputed attributes look suited to the prem as long as we can get him fit. Would be a huge bonus if we can.  

My worry with Andreu is that if he is not strong enough for the champs will his lack of power show even more in the prem where the midfield get dominated by pace and power.    He may however be a wessi replacement.

Given the variety we have in midfield (beyond wide left) its is not the priority for me.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
VOOs reputed attributes look suited to the prem as long as we can get him fit. Would be a huge bonus if we can.  

My worry with Andreu is that if he is not strong enough for the champs will his lack of power show even more in the prem where the midfield get dominated by pace and power.    He may however be a wessi replacement.

Given the variety we have in midfield (beyond wide left) its is not the priority for me.
I believe Andreu was touted pretty much as a Wes replacement, at the time. I guess we have to trust that Alex sees enough in him to make him so, and it isn'tt just an old pals act.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Speculative article here from the Pinkun.

Quite an interesting read.

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/spending_big_may_not_be_needed_for_norwich_city_to_find_the_best_gems_1_4096544
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
I wouldnt be surprised to see VOO go out on loan perhaps abroad to get him games again. he has become almost mythological, which makes it hard to imagine him ever playing for us - a bit like Becchio. The glimpses we've seen and the youtube videos suggest he could be a great player. But you cant help but feel panic buy and gamble which flopped. Would love to see him emerge though
 
Suffolk Canary

Suffolk Canary

New Member
I wouldnt be surprised to see VOO go out on loan perhaps abroad to get him games again. he has become almost mythological, which makes it hard to imagine him ever playing for us - a bit like Becchio. The glimpses we've seen and the youtube videos suggest he could be a great player. But you cant help but feel panic buy and gamble which flopped. Would love to see him emerge though
He's definitely a bit of an enigma. I walked past him outside Castle Mall and didn't even recognise him until we were face to face.  I have seen him play for the U21s a couple of times though, and he absolutely bossed the game both times. I know you'd probably expect that from such a huge bloke against a bunch of skinny teenagers, but you could tell he was a class above anyone else on the pitch (which included the likes of McGrandles, Murphy's, Morris etc).  There's definitely a good player in there, I just have no idea where he would fit into a starting XI
 
Last edited by a moderator:
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
He's definitely a bit of an enigma. I walked past him outside Castle Mall and didn't even recognise him until we were face to face.  I have seen him play for the U21s a couple of times though, and he absolutely bossed the game both times. I know you'd probably expect that from such a huge bloke against a bunch of skinny teenagers, but you could tell he was a class above anyone else on the pitch (which included the likes of McGrandles, Murphy's, Morris etc).  There's definitely a good player in there, I just have no idea where he would fit into a starting XI
Agree with this, when I have seen him play for the U21's he has looked very classy. I would love to see him fully fit.
 
Yellow Fever

Yellow Fever

New Member
IMO, the pre-season will be a fresh start for all of the players and Andreu and Odjidja-Ofoe will both have a chance to show what they can bring to the squad. My impression is that Andreu will be primarily an AM in the hole behind the striker, although he can play on the flanks as well. We haven't seen yet whether he has the ability that Wes has to thread balls through, but he does have a much better scoring record there, so could offer another option. Vadis offers another option to Howson in CM, with power runs into the box that AN may well approve of. Again, another option.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
IMO, the pre-season will be a fresh start for all of the players and Andreu and Odjidja-Ofoe will both have a chance to show what they can bring to the squad. My impression is that Andreu will be primarily an AM in the hole behind the striker, although he can play on the flanks as well. We haven't seen yet whether he has the ability that Wes has to thread balls through, but he does have a much better scoring record there, so could offer another option. Vadis offers another option to Howson in CM, with power runs into the box that AN may well approve of. Again, another option.
Pre season is when the manager gets a real chance to evaluate players and try different things out. During the season its all about the next game.

I hope the fringe players, and ones who haven't really featured yet, take the chance to impress.
 
C

CanaryNath

New Member
I don't think so.
GJP, you're must be a better judge of a player's ability than I.

I've no idea yet whether VOO will be a hit or not, I've simply not seen enough of him yet.
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
I also strongly disagree with GJP. He's only started one game. That said I don't think AN fancies him.

Side note - lovely to see this place having a bit of resurgence these last few days. Premier League excitement?
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
From the albeit brief glimpses I've seen of Odjidja, I've liked what I've seen. He looks a classy player and hopefully we'll get a proper chance to see what he can do this season. Can't say the same for Andreu though, but tbf we've seen even less of him than we have Odjidja.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I also strongly disagree with GJP. He's only started one game. That said I don't think AN fancies him.
That one game he started he was injured within 5 minutes. So he played until halftime with the injury.
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
Just to clarify, as I feel wires might have got crossed, I don't think Andreu is going to do it but I think Vadis might.

Of their brief appearances I think Vadis has shown more to get "excited" about. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top