By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Russ Martin joins Walsall

hogesar

hogesar

Good opportunity to get into coaching, would be surprised if he played that often now.

N

Number 9

Just seen the press release from Walsall.
SIX WORDS
Til the end of the season.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Good luck to him / who cares, somewhere in between those positions for me.

I'd stick a tenner on him being retired from playing and coaching in our academy by this time next year.

morty

morty

Staff member

I'd stick a tenner on him being retired from playing and coaching in our academy by this time next year.
I feel pretty much the same, yeah he is a good guy, and was captain, but the plain fact is that he just wasn't good enough for a lot of his later time here, but it seemed because he was nice it made him immune from criticism.

OldRobert

OldRobert

That's one tenner I hope you lose mate with no ill feeling to you.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well I hope he is a good co-commentator, because he's blatantly going to be on Radio Norfolk every few weeks too :p

hogesar

hogesar

Just seen the amount of love Russ has had from our current and ex players on social media. Clearly well liked, clearly a big character and a big part of our rise under Lambert. Why anyone would think otherwise defies fact and logic.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Just seen the amount of love Russ has had from our current and ex players on social media. Clearly well liked, clearly a big character and a big part of our rise under Lambert. Why anyone would think otherwise defies fact and logic.

Yeah but he's just a bloke who left his job and got a new job, he hasn't been diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease.

I'm sure if you are a decent bloke and work for Aviva for 8 years you get lots of colleagues writing "good luck" in your leaving card and popping a couple of quid in a brown envelope for your leaving gift.

Doesn't mean they need weekly updates on how they are getting on at Marsh & McLennan, although its nice they they made a few mates at Aviva and can meet them for a pint a few times a year to reminisce about Aviva times.... until those mates move on too, and the drinks invites fizzle out, and everybody gets on with their own lives until one of them dies thirty years later and you all have a nice catch up at his wake.

morty

morty

Staff member
He clearly wasn't good enough for us for a long time before the penny dropped. For me, its not just about him, he is a symbol of a lot that was wrong with Alex Neil's judgement in thinking he shouldn't be replaced in the starting lineup, and the mentality of the club in offering him a new contract. For those reasons I'm glad he has gone. Him being an important member of the team seems a very long time ago now.

OldRobert

OldRobert

He clearly wasn't good enough for us for a long time before the penny dropped. For me, its not just about him, he is a symbol of a lot that was wrong with Alex Neil's judgement in thinking he shouldn't be replaced in the starting lineup, and the mentality of the club in offering him a new contract. For those reasons I'm glad he has gone. Him being an important member of the team seems a very long time ago now.

Probably because it was. Very well put Morty, time someone stopped the treacle.

N

Number 9

Bet those players who were grasses up to the management didn't queue up to stick a couple of euros in the envelope.
He was a divisive influence in the squad, I'm not sure how that translates to coaching.

hogesar

hogesar

Bet those players who were grasses up to the management didn't queue up to stick a couple of euros in the envelope.
He was a divisive influence in the squad, I'm not sure how that translates to coaching.

This divisive influence is rubbish. I know Maddison was close with him, but so were ALL the young players. If anything, the reason why Alex Neil persisted with him longer than he should have done was because he was such a positive influence in the dressing room, even if his playing ability wasn't quite up to the requirement.

I think a few are determined to find problems where there isn't and wasn't one. There's certain things I know for fact, coming from the player's mouths in private conversations. Russ was never divisive.

Again, that should be obvious in itself from the pure volume of good-will messages he's received from current players, young and experience, in the team and not in the team, all the way through to previous players like Holt, Snoddy and many, many more.

N

Number 9

This divisive influence is rubbish. I know Maddison was close with him, but so were ALL the young players. If anything, the reason why Alex Neil persisted with him longer than he should have done was because he was such a positive influence in the dressing room, even if his playing ability wasn't quite up to the requirement.

I think a few are determined to find problems where there isn't and wasn't one. There's certain things I know for fact, coming from the player's mouths in private conversations. Russ was never divisive.

Again, that should be obvious in itself from the pure volume of good-will messages he's received from current players, young and experience, in the team and not in the team, all the way through to previous players like Holt, Snoddy and many, many more.
It's good to hear that you've experienced those conversations. I suppose we shouldn't be surprised that often there will be different accounts from the same group of people.

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Good servant, we kept him too long, held his own in a good Norwich side for about 5 and a half years, played his best football here, popular with many of our former players.

What exactly is it that we owe him though? What is the debate here? :confused:

Just gets similar sort of status alongside Bradley Johnson, John Ruddy, Johnny Howson, Anthony Pilkington for me..... just players who come along, become important members of our XI for a substantial period of time, and then move on with our best wishes. Remembered fondly, like a dozen other players from each decade.

The fact that Johnson, Ruddy, Howson and Pilkington are still Championship standard and Martin is not is irrelevant to the conversation I feel, as none are employed by us anymore.

Feels like there are a small number of fans who are intent on selling 'brand Martin' with a view to squeezing him into legend status alongside Grant Holt and Wes Hoolahan.

Not going to happen I'm afraid, its an exclusive honour which is bestowed on only two or three players per era and its decided by almost unanimous consensus... if any full back in our recent history gets to squeeze into that group its Adam Drury, but even that would be difficult to sell to older fans who still have Mark Bowen fresh in their minds...he was a level above and probably one of the best full backs in the country rather than merely the "best outside the Premier League" which is the label which seemed to stick to Drury for his entire career.

He can join the hall of fame on the basis of his length of service, and sit alongside the likes of Craig Fleming and Ian Butterworth..... that clubs not all that exclusive. I'm sure people won't begrudge him squeezing into that in about five years, not when Daryl Sutch has made it, we can give him a little clap at half time when its announced.

The campaign to get Russell Martin legend status on the basis that he's a really nice bloke, made a lot of friends in Norfolk and some tweets seem to suggest that other players like him isn't going anywhere, more chance of Nigel Farage getting a seat at Westminster. Calling Martin a "legend" when he first arrived is one of the most cringeworthy things that Farke has said, fans decide that... and they've decided that he isn't a legend.

New heroes etc, hopefully there is a future legend among our group.... it could be Teemu Pukki, could be the new Iwan Roberts, or he could end up forgotten like Ashley Ward.

Last edited: