They know they've done poorly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Loads of people seem to have pegged Elliott Bennett as a potentially decent right back but honestly I'm not seeing it. I get that he works quite hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in but that's about it. He's not really a physical player, he seems to have lost his pace since the injury and it might just be that he's rarely been fit when I've seen him but he doesn't seem to have the touch he once had. Very average footballer that I'm pretty actually surprised we've kept around. I guess he isn't the type to make a fuss about being on the bench or not in the squad every week.

Is it another case of the Ricky van Wolfswinkel effect? He's seemingly a really nice guy so people are desperate for him to succeed?  

If worst came to worst I'd rather we played Reece Hall-Johnson or Mich Efete. Have seen both of them give very good performances at right back for the development squad.
Kinda with you on this, not sure what people are basing their opinion on, I vaguely remember him playing in the position once a few years ago, but hasn't since.

Yeah I rate Reece Hall-Johnston, would like to see more of him.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
Is Hall-Johnson playing at right back now? He played in the youth cup as a defensive midfielder and I was very impressed with his energy, but Id noticed on team-sheets he was often the first outfield player listed which usually means playing at right-back. Never seen him play there but was impressed by him overall.

I dont think that necessarily dropping Bennett in as a right-back would be a good move, but Id be happy to see him played there regularly for the development squad in a bid to retrain him. If that goes well then he might be a credible option. I think he has a number of good attributes, but he needs to be taught to play there, not just shoved there
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Neil did say that he could see Bennett playing at right back in the future but then he went out and signed Wisdom so yeah, he obviously doesn't see Bennett playing there much for Norwich.

He's played both positions, impressed me most at right back where he's caught the eye using that energy to burst forward. Don't think he has the technique or passing range to play in midfield, not ours anyway.
 
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
Sometimes you do need a Mr Versatile, and imo Benno could fit that description.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Probably not though. We're a Premier League football club, not a school team. We can't just put the players that won't make it in midfield in defence. 
 
Indy_Bones

Indy_Bones

New Member
Probably not though. We're a Premier League football club, not a school team. We can't just put the players that won't make it in midfield in defence. 
The only reason Benno isn't playing in midfield is because he's got Redmond ahead of him as a winger, and options like Howson and Dorrans if AN using a more compact 5 man midfield, which gives him limited scope for selection.

He's shown on previous occasions that the potential for something was there, but that injury couldn't have come at a worse time and I wonder if we'll ever see that Bennett again with such limited chances likely to come his way?

I'd argue that for the sake of his long term career, then a move away (maybe back to Brighton or similar) would probably be in his best interests, but if we can re-invent him as a pacy, attacking right back/right wing back then why not???
 
hogesar

hogesar

Well-Known Member
Maybe you lot should encourage Wiz to post more threads like this! Busiest thread in a while on this forum!

For what it's worth I think we've done okay in this transfer window, however there was opportunity to strengthen more than we did. Sounds like the chap we got from Burnley hasn't done the greatest of jobs, continuing from his form at Burnley! Of course we will never know for sure.

Thankfully I still feel we have enough to stay up, providing injuries and suspensions stay slightly in our favour.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
Maybe you lot should encourage Wiz to post more threads like this! Busiest thread in a while on this forum!

For what it's worth I think we've done okay in this transfer window, however there was opportunity to strengthen more than we did. Sounds like the chap we got from Burnley hasn't done the greatest of jobs, continuing from his form at Burnley! Of course we will never know for sure.

Thankfully I still feel we have enough to stay up, providing injuries and suspensions stay slightly in our favour.
Yup, but about 95% of it nothing to do with Wiz's daft conspiracy theory about the board's shameful hiding because they are ashamed, we seem to have talked about everything but.

;)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wiz

Wiz

New Member
True Morty, but its created debate! 
Now on page 8 on t'other site!!
b-wink.gif
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
I don't think Wiz is right about the board and manager hiding. It's an international week and there's not a great deal to say. That said, I don't think it's fair to call him a troll either. He's been a valued member of this forum for about a year now. He may lose his temper and post silly things, but he's not going out of his way to wind people up.
 
morty

morty

Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Wiz is right about the board and manager hiding. It's an international week and there's not a great deal to say. That said, I don't think it's fair to call him a troll either. He's been a valued member of this forum for about a year now. He may lose his temper and post silly things, but he's not going out of his way to wind people up.
You don't think that he is being deliberately provactive then?

I think you must have a very, very short memory ;)
 
splutcho

splutcho

Moderator
You don't think that he is being deliberately provactive then?

I think you must have a very, very short memory ;)
I don't disagree that perhaps he has been in the past, but I doubt he'd waste a year of his time becoming a good member of this site to troll now. More likely he just posts rubbish in the heat of the moment when angry. 
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
The only reason Benno isn't playing in midfield is because he's got Redmond ahead of him as a winger, and options like Howson and Dorrans if AN using a more compact 5 man midfield, which gives him limited scope for selection.

He's shown on previous occasions that the potential for something was there, but that injury couldn't have come at a worse time and I wonder if we'll ever see that Bennett again with such limited chances likely to come his way?

I'd argue that for the sake of his long term career, then a move away (maybe back to Brighton or similar) would probably be in his best interests, but if we can re-invent him as a pacy, attacking right back/right wing back then why not???
The only reason Benno isn't playing in midfield is that he's no way near good enough. I agree that you have to be a very good winger to get into our side right now, Benno clearly isn't that.

I'm not saying he couldn't play right back but as I've said, I doubt he could do it at this level. Best part of his game would be running fast and overlapping....might as well resign Jon Otsemobor
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
In response to the OP, the best thing Alex Neil could do right now is come out and say that he is delighted with his summer transfer business and has confidence in his players.

Even if he isn't delighted privately, there is nothing to be gained from taking any other position publicly. If he even implies that he isn't entirely happy with the balance of the squad he is immediately position himself in the territory that struggling managers take when they start to make excuses for bad results. 

And he probably does have confidence in his players to see him through to January at least, with perhaps a slight worry about the lack of defenders, in January we may all be grateful for the pot of money we've retained and we've done some good business in January in the past. Howson was a January signing. 
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiz
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
You don't think that he is being deliberately provactive then?

I think you must have a very, very short memory ;)
Considering the reputation that preceded Wiz when I created this forum (judging by what plenty of people told me, and what I'd occasionally seen on the forum that I didn't very often read), he's been as good as gold here really, in the 14 months that have followed. 

Just give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, don't care how people behave on the pink'un, the moment that we do care about that is the moment this forum has absolutely no reason to exist. 
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
The only reason Benno isn't playing in midfield is that he's no way near good enough. I agree that you have to be a very good winger to get into our side right now, Benno clearly isn't that.

I'm not saying he couldn't play right back but as I've said, I doubt he could do it at this level. Best part of his game would be running fast and overlapping....might as well resign Jon Otsemobor
Agree to be honest, and he didn't really pull up any trees before his serious injury either, but the lack of depth in our squad is probably why he is still here. Both the potential to fill in at right back in an emergency plus the lack of cover for Redmond. 

I expect he'll end up out on loan again in the second half of the season and then gone next summer, if we can bring in a couple of players in January. 

Did a good job for us in his first couple of seasons though and has a great attitude, so credit where it is due. 
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Certainly can't see him starting any games here, was even on the bench at Rotherham. Wouldn't be surprised if Vadis becomes the Redmond alternate this year, in something like the role Johnson was switched to last season. 

Would be good if one or both of the Murphy boys could force their way into our squad next season. Both seem to have started well on their respective loans.
 
The Great Mass Debater

The Great Mass Debater

New Member
In response to the OP, the best thing Alex Neil could do right now is come out and say that he is delighted with his summer transfer business and has confidence in his players.
Would that not draw comparisons with Nero and accusations of sleepwalking towards relegation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top