Rumours and speculation

Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
We're being linked with Nahki Wells at Huddersfield along with Derby and Fulham. Don't get me wrong I'd be pleased with him, but tbh I'd really prefer us to go after Assombalonga. Watched Forest - Burton on Saturday and it's clear through everything he does that he's one of the best strikers in the division. Price would be similar to that we were prepared to pay for McCormack so we clearly have the money, plus he's only 23 so has years left in him. I also think out of all the strikers we've been linked with (McCormack, Wells, Kodjia) he's the one best suited to the Premier League, so should we go back up he could be a success for us there as well.
Order of preference for me....

Kodjia > Assombalonga > Wells > Bamford 

But I'd rather Bamford than nobody. Just a risk because we don't know whether his confidence crisis is something easily fixed or if he'd carry that into this league. 
 
G

GJP

Well-Known Member
I'd be pleased to have Bamford here. Similar to Kane I thought he showed glimpses of quality in a Norwich shirt. And he has already shown he can be very good at this level.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I'd be pleased to have Bamford here. Similar to Kane I thought he showed glimpses of quality in a Norwich shirt. And he has already shown he can be very good at this level.
Would probably be a good time to sign Bamford, his stock can only go up from here and potential to grab a bargain? 

But its a risk if we are relying on him for goals immediately after a year in the wilderness. I think we need two strikers anyway so Bamford as the second striker signing would suit me. 
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
In other news, Bradley Johnson is set to sign for Leeds!
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
I miss his rockets. Although I suppose less so after Jacob's on Saturday.

Good signing for Leeds, if they play him where we did. Derby used him centrally.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Order of preference for me....

Kodjia > Assombalonga > Wells > Bamford 

But I'd rather Bamford than nobody. Just a risk because we don't know whether his confidence crisis is something easily fixed or if he'd carry that into this league. 
I'd probably go with that but with Assombalonga and Kodjia the other way round. In this league though all of them should be good signings. 
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
Chris Martin was only sub for Derby under new manager Pearson who preferred Bent. Maybe Derby could be tempted.
 
Din

Din

Well-Known Member
Celtic have been quoted £5m for Patrick Bamford apparently. For that price really think we should be going in.
 
KeiranShikari

KeiranShikari

New Member
Only chance we're signing him is if we miss out on every other forward we actually want.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
I'd be delighted if we just went and signed Mbokani to be honest, not many teams in this league will know how to cope with him. 

Apparently on something silly like £100k a week at Kyiv but available for £0.

Now McCormack would have cost us £12m and what, perhaps £40k per week over four seasons? We'd be writing off the £12m.

£12m over four years is £58k a week. 

So assuming we were prepared to write off £12m when he is 33/34 and McCormack is on £40k a week at Villa, it would actually be far cheaper for us to sign Mbokani on a three year deal and hand him £70k to £80k a week or whatever it is it would cost us.

We've started talking about Chris Martin and Patrick Bamford, players who are being linked with Wolves and Wigan and who are both already Norwich rejects at Premier League level, perhaps now is the time to be bold and make a move for Mbokani, would be a big statement of intent. He's a player who has done pretty well for us in the Premier League, one whose form was improving towards the end of the season too. 

We are surely high in Mbokani's estimations after the way we treated him after the Brussels incident and he looked to start enjoying it here towards the end of the season. 
 
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Fenway Frank

Fenway Frank

Well-Known Member
That's fine, but what about all the other players in the squad that will then look at Mbokanis wages and think they are worth more ? I might be in the minority, but I'm not sure Mbokani would be that effective anyway. 
 
eatonparkboy

eatonparkboy

New Member
That's fine, but what about all the other players in the squad that will then look at Mbokanis wages and think they are worth more ? I might be in the minority, but I'm not sure Mbokani would be that effective anyway. 
I'm with you about Mbokani. I didn't think he did any more than Jerome to be honest. His biggest asset is his aerial ability but is quite clumsy with his control and he is hardly a poacher. And that is what we need, an alternative or addition to what we already have. We don't need another big bloke chasing out to the touchline. We need somebody in this division who is going to be at the end of a cross/pass from what ought to be a midfield that is too good for most in this division.

We need to move on from the McCormack debate. He didn't meet our valuation and isn't coming and we have to look elsewhere.
 
Canaryboy

Canaryboy

Well-Known Member
Its only now that people are seriously giving consideration to Patrick Bamford and Chris Martin that I've turned my attention back towards Mbokani. 

Bamford and Martin are decent Championship strikers, neither will achieve anything in the league above, neither are coming off of the back of good seasons either. Its in our best interests to go back up with a striker who can score goals in the Premier League. 

I'd honestly we rather went for Leigh Griffiths from Celtic than either one of Bamford or Martin. He scored 40 goals last season! 

I don't think taking back former players ever really works out well either. For whatever reason Chris Martin stagnated here and needed a permanent move away, and I've got a feeling that if he came back it wouldn't work out well. He'd be better off going to Wolves. 

As for Bamford, yeah he has potential and has had a good season in this league before, but talk about rewarding failure. He was terrible for us last season, what sort of message does it send if we those types of performances can earn a player a deal. We've got standards to uphold. 
 

Sit with the City fans who turn up

Free to join, free to read. Introduce yourself, pick a player thread, and get stuck into the next match thread.

Create a free account
Top