By using Norwichtalk.com services you agree to our Cookies Use and Data Transfer outside the EU.
We and our partners operate globally and use cookies, including for analytics, personalisation, ads and Newsletters.

Transfer Window

N

Number 9

Of course there is a middle ground, but it costs money. More money than we are willing to spend right now. The ultimate middle ground I guess right now is Liverpool. Like I said earlier, how much do you think better Premiership defenders that the ones we have, cost? We currently have 4 central defenders in contract, 3 of them on long ones. We have two full backs and a third who can cover either position. In an attempt to be more solid defensively we loaned an upgrade on Tettey that hasn't worked out, that is life, sometimes they don't. And he has ended up having to cover at centre back due to our terrible luck with injuries. I can 100% guarantee you that if we had been able to name a settled back 5 all season, and Amadou had worked out, we would have conceded far less goals.

The plan is clearly to stick to our style and give the Prem a go without over extending ourselves and spending money we don't have. If we stay up, all well and good, we continue to build. If we go down, we will inevitably sell a few players, but we go down debt free, with parachute payments and some transfer money in our back pockets, then we go again, in a very, very strong position. And who knows, maybe next time we come up, we're stronger, and stay in the Prem. That is the plan, as I see it, so I totally "get" how we are doing business, and why.
I do agree with alot of what you say Morty.

I would suggest that large proportion of Amadou's problem has been the way he has been managed. Not being played in his position.

It's also disingenuous to suggest that the defensive players we need are Liverpool standard. Obviously we can't spend 75 million on a Van Dyke, but we have spent on a huge number of midfielders. They weren't 15 - 20 million pound players but they all have cost, just we continually bring in midfielders, not defenders or strikers.
I believe that ain't right.

And yes, our defenders have been given extended contracts, despite conceding a huge amount of goals as far back as we can remember. I suggest that either they're not good enough, so why did we give them the contracts, or they're not being coached effectively. Jamal actually said as much when last week he compared goals scored by set pieces, we're bottom of that, I'd rather they start with goals not being conceded at set pieces, but there you go.

G

GJP

Have heard he's basically now got the sort of relationship with the manager that Oliveira had.

N

Number 9

Sam, a left back from Cov being loaned back til summer apparently

morty

morty

Staff member
Have heard he's basically now got the sort of relationship with the manager that Oliveira had.
Whilst this is a shame, this is how football works the world over. If you fall out of favour, you work hard to get yourself back in the team. And if you are a dick about it, thinking you are entitled to a place in the team, despite not being good enough, then these things only end one way.

N

Number 9

Whilst this is a shame, this is how football works the world over. If you fall out of favour, you work hard to get yourself back in the team. And if you are a dick about it, thinking you are entitled to a place in the team, despite not being good enough, then these things only end one way.
Same thing wherever you're employed, the boss likes to be right.

N

Number 9

It is a shame, I like Leitner, but if he isn't quite good enough to get in the team, he has to do what is best for him. Very telling though that he didn't get a game in the cup last week.
He told Farke what he thought of tactics etc after the Brighton game, been dropped since.

G

GJP

No doubt that Leitner is a very intelligent footballer but his lack of a motor brings him up short at this level. Drop him back in the Championship where his brain is quicker than the vast majority and he can be very influential but in this league every team is full of slick operators.

morty

morty

Staff member
I feel bad for Coventry, a good club that have had some real shit luck. Perhaps a lesson for us all about over reaching on the ambition front. But I do have more sympathy for Coventry than I do for Sunderland or Portsmouth.